Non-motoring > John Lewis Christmas Advert Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 50

John Lewis Christmas Advert - Fursty Ferret
So it's the day after bonfire night and the John Lewis Christmas ad is out.

youtu.be/wuz2ILq4UeA

Better than the one with the grumpy bear, at any rate. And a million times better than that appalling, cynical thing set on the Somme that Sainsbury's tried last year.
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - R.P.
Hear Hear....that plumbed new depths of corporate cynicism...
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Crankcase
And when you've watched that, this one is, as they say, "going viral". Well, 10k hits in a day anyway.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIxQ2jk66ls

John Lewis Christmas Advert - Zero
>> Hear Hear....that plumbed new depths of corporate cynicism...

Before you start throwing "coprporate cynicism" barbs around remember they pay taxes, treat their staff with some respect, treat their suppliers fairly, dont lie about their accounts, and manage to make money and grow.
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - sherlock47
There will now be a generation of 5 year olds who think that man can exist on the moon without a space suit, and that there must be an atmosphere - otherwise balloons would not work.
I thought that....
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - VxFan
Eeek!

Someone's mentioned the C word, and in early November too.

I see a Leicester MP wants the Coca Cola lorry banned from the city.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-34718933
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - rtj70
I suppose they need to start showing it early to get their moneys worth. But how did it cost £1m to make?? And are they right to spend £6m on TV slots?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 6 Nov 15 at 10:34
>> I suppose they need to start showing it early to get their moneys worth. But
>> how did it cost £1m to make?? And are they right to spend £6m on
>> TV slots?

They think so.
Good thing too. It arrived in the town where I worked last year. It was total chaos...there were even Charabancs organised from Anglesey - Why ? I don't know, the most the punters got for their money was a mini can of coke (opened in case they sold it on).........
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Duncan
>> Charabancs
>>

Ah! Lovely!
Ah! Lovely!

but accurate...:-)
>> most the punters got for their money was a mini can of coke

They should have employed this guy if they were only giving out small cans ;)

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/15/barrie-hall-mobility-scooter-coca-cola-truck_n_8300528.html
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Focusless
>> Eeek!
>>
>> Someone's mentioned the C word, and in early November too.

The Bath Christmas decorations went up outside our office windows a few weeks ago. Made us feel very festive. Not.

:)
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Mapmaker
& that the atmosphere must exist between the earth and the moon, otherwise the balloon would not work, and that it's possible to direct a balloon.

Or else, it's fantasy...
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Alanovich
>> Or else, it's fantasy...

Which is entirely appropriate for a time of year which is centred around a story which is utter fantasy.
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Harleyman
I won't post the link cos it's definitely NSFW; but if you're broad minded I highly recommend Amateur Transplants' spoof of the 2013 John Lewis ad.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 6 Nov 15 at 11:19
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - No FM2R
>> a story which is utter fantasy.

Fantasy? I hope you're not falling for that rubbish about Santa Claus not being real?
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - No FM2R
I'm usually a sucker for this sort of thing, but I wasn't struck with this one.
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Slidingpillar
I watch nothing live on commercial TV. Always use the PVR so I can skip them. Does that make me a bad man?
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Duncan
>> I watch nothing live on commercial TV. Always use the PVR so I can skip
>> them. Does that make me a bad man?
>>

I am just getting the hang of my Humax.

It seems I can't fast forward, or turn on subtitles, when using catch up. is this right?

When playing a recording, it's a guessing game when trying to FF through the ads. Is there a way of doing it more precisely?
 Humax PVR - Slidingpillar
I am just getting the hang of my Humax.

It seems I can't fast forward, or turn on subtitles, when using catch up. is this right?

When playing a recording, it's a guessing game when trying to FF through the ads. Is there a way of doing it more precisely?

I too am using a Humax. But it is one of the first (HDR-Fox T2) and doesn't have catch up. But the web interface BBC iPlayer it can use only recently gained subtitles. It is a bitstream recorder, so if they are there, you can turn on and off subtitles in a recording.

My box has 'jump' as well as 2x, 4x, and 8x fast forward. There is not a standard length of commercial break, but you get to learn the best strategy of button pushes. For peak hours on ITV 1-4, C4, C5, two pushes of the jump is usually right.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Fri 6 Nov 15 at 15:41
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Manatee
Brilliant campaign.

I dare say will wear a bit thin by the time they've had their £6m worth!
www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/peeping-tom-on-moon-given-telescope-20151106103629

www.thepoke.co.uk/2015/11/06/john-lewis-christmas-ad-2015-dark-side-version/

John Lewis Christmas Advert - Fursty Ferret
>> www.thepoke.co.uk/2015/11/06/john-lewis-christmas-ad-2015-dark-side-version/
>>
>>
>>

Now *that* I approve of.
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Alanovich
NSFW and very rude language:

youtu.be/N_DjsmkD1fw
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - legacylad
Well, Nov 23rd, I volunteered, as always to help put up Xmas decs in my local small market town. My pals with a head for heights go up t' ladders, we put up about 40 trees , with lights, outside businesses, hang garlands, and try to finish by 2pm the following day.
Then we retire for pork pies & beer. Until 10pm. Xmas is thirsty work.
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Dog
I don't do any adverts and have only just watched this one while doing a search for something else. It's brilliant!
It's not come around at any point where I've been watching anything with ads yet. I'm not excited enough by the thought of a tv commercial to want to actually seek it out. I don't recall seeing any in previous years either, now I come to think of it.

But I do shop in JL a fair bit, at least partly because it's 100 yards from me at work, so it would be preaching to the converted anyway.
Watch it via the Ferret's link Cc and yule be pleasantly surprised, I'll wager.
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Focusless
Not a patch on last year's IMHO; in case you missed it (unlikely?)...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iccscUFY860
(must watch to at least 1:45)
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 10 Nov 15 at 10:15
Most appealing. I still pre fur this years though. Praps I'd better start watching adverts again :(
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - Clk Sec
>>I don't do any adverts

We avoid them by pre recording almost everything we watch.
>>We avoid them by pre recording almost everything we watch.

Ditto.

I recently replaced my ageing Sony PVR/DVD recorder with one of these

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TTYOO0K
(Panasonic DMR-PWT530EB9 Smart 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with 500GB HDD Recorder and Twin Freeview+ HD Tuners)

after the price dropped. 2 tuners means we don't miss much that we want to see. Works well, and manages iPlayer on our slow connection better than the Sony TV.

This has been the year of the televisual upgrade here. I still think that a bigger screen doesn't make the programmes any better and I would have kept the 26" Sony LCD indefinitely, except that captions now are designed for big screens; on a 42" HD I can now read the details on the F1 coverage!

I usually record stuff on my Humax but, I watched Operation Crossbow on Saturday night, tis about the bomber raid on Peenemunde where the V-2 rockets were built (I've visited there) during WW2.

Seen it before of course ... about 'alf a dozen times :)

Bought an antique Panasonic NV-FJ620 video recorder on Ebay last week, to watch my Martian Chronicle vids on.

:}

>> Bought an antique Panasonic NV-FJ620 video recorder on Ebay last week, to watch my Martian
>> Chronicle vids on.

My set is on DVD, Dog, and I would think it would have been cheaper to get those than fanny about with an old VCR, wouldn't it?

Hmm. Might be time to watch THOSE again too. Lucky winter is coming.
Yeah but, I've got quite a few vids Cc, they've probably had it by now no doubt, being they've been through more-than a couple of house moves. I'm/we are looking forward to watching the Martians again :)
Cop hold of this Woolworth's advert with Joe Brown + Tommy Steele & Giant Haystacks from 32 years ago!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzltmXpJ8a4
Isn't that Geoff Capes, not Giant Haystacks?
Same difference ;-)
>> Same difference ;-)

No really, one was a big athlete, the other was just big.
48 stone - that's 4 x me!! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Haystacks
 John Lewis Christmas Advert - rtj70
Daley Thompson was in it too. Reminds how naff old adverts were. Anyone remember when he endorsed a (naff) game called Daley Thompson's Decathlon :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 10 Nov 15 at 20:15
Wel, the ad just played, and the tv unusually wasn't on mute. So I've now seen it.

I have not a clue what was going on. Incomprehensible. I can't see how that's going to make me buy another pair of socks.
>> Wel, the ad just played, and the tv unusually wasn't on mute. So I've now
>> seen it.
>>
>> I have not a clue what was going on. Incomprehensible. I can't see how that's
>> going to make me buy another pair of socks.

you buy your own socks at christmas?
For her, dippy.
You buy your wife socks for christmas? you lot know how to live on the edge and party.
"The irony is that as the advertisement ends, the old man is still on the moon… still alone"

www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/the-john-lewis-christmas-advert-and-the-commodification-of-loneliness-a6727396.html
Dunno about that, but "commodification" is a neologism that had passed my by until now. I see it's recorded as "earliest use 1982" though, so that seems fair enough I'd have missed it.
Man on the moon - ALDI

youtu.be/wzsMiCBzciY
Latest Forum Posts