Non-motoring > Saw this and thought of... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 16

Saw this and thought of... - WillDeBeest
...well, you try.
www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/nov/06/jo-cownie-thats-me-picture-martin-parr

Curiously, the text mentions the jumper but makes no reference to the trousers, not even the remarkable pocket-bulges. Luckily, that was 1988 and no-one would wear such things now. Would they?
};---)
 Saw this and thought of... - Bromptonaut
A his 'n' hers set in fact!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 7 Nov 15 at 13:11
 Saw this and thought of... - Crankcase
Alas this is one of those entirely incomprehensible threads for me. I have absolutely no clue what it's about or am I supposed to know any of the people in the article? Enlighten me?
 Saw this and thought of... - No FM2R
Must admit I think I'm missing the point also.

The immediate subject is pictured wearing Rohan Bags (trousers). As is his wife.

I think Mr DeBeest is alluding to earlier threads and my expressed preference for the same legwear.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 7 Nov 15 at 15:18
Oh crikey. Whilst I guess we all have images of what our co-conspirators here are like, I don't think I've ever speculated on anyone's trousers.

Thanks for the clarification though. At least it wasn't an embarrassing ignorance, as so often, on my part.
 Saw this and thought of... - No FM2R
Ohhh.

If I may paraphrase a reaction to a joke....

"Mr Smoketoomuch, I expect you get that all the time?"
Actually Rohan might be interested in the picture. Not only are both wearing Bags but Mrs Cowen also appears to be wearing a Rohan top, one of several over the head smock like garments which have been offered over the years. Several different styles/names but I couldn't recall the men's varieties other than the Mariner I had for a while, never mind the ladies equivalents.

The fact that the logo is woven in yellow/gold thread rather than white dates them too.

An early Rohan ad:

rohantime.com/8743/rohan-bags-iconic-outdoor-trousers/

Something that would pack that small was a real boon travelling with just a saddlebag.

Well, a spin off of this thread has led me to a happy time poking about YouTube and finding all the best bits of the Army of Rohan from LOTR, and now I shall have to read it again, which will take me until spring, and then watch all the films again in glorious extended special editions with ten thousand hours of extras, which will take me till the following spring.

So thanks for that.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 7 Nov 15 at 17:10
 Above the waist... - WillDeBeest
...pretty sure there's a pair of aviator frames in the picture too.

Incidentally (below the waist again) that blue-green colour, as seen on Mrs Cownie's trahzahs, was everywhere in 1988. Can't tell you much about fashion colours in any other era, but that one sticks in my mind. Perhaps it was a rare concession to the times on Rohan's part.

Finally, perhaps Cranks can help but I don't remember multi-pocketed, quick-drying quasi-bondage trousers being a big thing among the fictional equestrians whose name they bear. Would they have had less trouble from the forces of the Dark Lord if they'd had them?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sat 7 Nov 15 at 17:26
 Above the waist... - Bromptonaut
Company started as a family business run by Paul and Sarah Howcroft. Subsequently sold on and was for a time owned by Clarks shoes. Now private equity I think. Paul Howcroft was subsequently killed in amateur motor racing. Sarah still has some association with the brand.

I suspect the Rohan name owed something to Tolkien and ISTR that Mrs B, who has more than a passing familiarity with JRR's work spotted an LOTR theme in naming of some early garments.
 Saw this and thought of... - J Bonington Jagworth
I'm indebted for the insight into how professional photography works. I've been labouring under the misapprehension that one should pay attention to horizontals and show something of the subject's face, but the way to command a hefty price tag would seem to be to photograph everything skew and get the subject to start at the ground. If only I'd known...
 Saw this and thought of... - WillDeBeest
All the technique in the world will get you nowhere without an eye for a subject, and Martin Parr has both this and a distinctive, slightly over-coloured visual signature that makes his work instantly recognizable. I think of him in the same bracket as Beryl Cook: a gently mocking take on Britishness that shows real understanding and affection for the subject.
Similar garb, same year:

i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/bromptonaut/Ninebanks.jpg
Having just had a wild red herring chase, I couldn't find any reference to Gollum wrapping himself up in a nice waterproof hooded garment. I imagine he'd would have been unable to bash a fish to death on a rock whilst singing to himself quite so maniacally if he were so encumbered.

I also found some random Telegraph article about the clothing brand, in which there was this sentence:

Also notable: Sarah insists the name was not inspired by the works of JRR Tolkien.
 Saw this and thought of... - Ted

>> i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/bromptonaut/Ninebanks.jpg
>>

He'd do better to put the bike back in the shed and get the mower out !
Latest Forum Posts