Non-motoring > Discipline Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 30

Discipline - No FM2R
As we all know, the subject of physically punishing your children is a controversial one. Should one smack them, slap them, beat them senseless, or cuff them from time to time etc. etc. Its all very controversial and difficult.

In the spirit of this, I need support and advice now that I am faced with a moment of crisis:

How often, and how much, and with what tools can one hurt one's children when they describe a live performance of "Stairway to Heaven" as "OK, I suppose".

My immediate feeling is that "frequently, as much as you want, and with a sledgehammer" is reasonable.

Is there alternative advice available?
 Discipline - Zero
A live performance? Put you righteous indignation and vision of unrelenting violence to one side for a moment, and step back with and open mind and ears.

Actually,. in truth, how good is the version/performance? they could be variable.
 Discipline - bathtub tom
This version: www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJBGLP7Akk

?
 Discipline - MD
Ruddy Stairway, STAIRWAY!

Bungalow to heaven would be better for my Knee(d)s. 0:-)
 Discipline - Harleyman
Damn me as a heretic if you like, but along with Lynyrd Skynrd's "Free Bird" it seems to be the inevitable choice for the last song at any given bike rally. So I've heard it too often to get overly excited; in fact if it happens to be raining at said rally and I'm stuck in the big tent (why does the swear filter block "markee"?), I actually welcome either of those tunes safe in the knowledge that the music is about to pack up and I can then carry on a conversation without having to shout meself hoarse.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 8 Nov 15 at 20:36
 Discipline - Zero
(why
>> does the swear filter block "markee"?),

Its actually an HTML command that will cause text to scroll within your post. Fancy tricks are banned on this site.
 Discipline - Harleyman

>> Its actually an HTML command that will cause text to scroll within your post. Fancy
>> tricks are banned on this site.
>>

Cheers Z. Thought it was a bit odd.
 Discipline - Slidingpillar
Bit of a old HTML command too. I understand it was denigrated years ago, probably because the taste police got involved - it looks seriously naff and I've not seen a site that uses the command in years.
 Discipline - Lygonos
P'raps 'Stannah to Heaven'
 Discipline - PhilW
"Is there alternative advice available?"
Yes, just got to be patient FM.
I suffered years of derision for my taste in music from my kids - then all of a sudden they grew up and they start to appreciate the good stuff.
In a few years yours will be saying "Have you heard that guitar riff in "Stairway to Heaven" by some old group called Led Zep, I think" or "Just heard a song called Hotel California by the Buzzards or someone - that Joe Walsh can play a guitar" you ought to download it - think you might like it". "Old bloke called BB King just died - I'm sure you would like his stuff - you ever heard of him??"
And then,
"Dad, Happy Christmas, here's a double CD of Joe Bonamassa - kinda bluesey, We love it, hope you do too, oh, and here's a bonus bottle of single malt, hope it makes you "Comfortably Numb" which is also a track by a band called Pink Floyd - you ought to try listening to some of their stuff, it might appeal.
Until then, stick on the headphones, turn up the volume and don't forget to youtube it occasionally,
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUaevnP1LLg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=puHoadtIivc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZYG5qwHHI
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3_GOk36JD0
P
PS And, you lot, please don't give me any more derision for liking this stuff!!
 Discipline - Pat
You missed the best one!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk0V_GGa2XM

Pat
 Discipline - PhilW
Good one Pat!!
But I still like "Comfortably Numb" more! I think it's the line "just a little prick" !!! Somehow rings a bell with me!
Actually, (and this might be relevant to FM's original post) I couldn't stand Pink Floyd when I first heard them in the late '60s and all my mates were raving about them - bunch of pretentious posers (my mates and Pink Floyd!!) but I think it might have been the arrival of Gilmour and his guitar that converted me - or maybe I just grew up??.
Talking of guitars, have a look at " Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival" on youtube - hours of great stuff by Clapton (blues not his sentimental love song rubbish!!), Buddy Guy, Hubert Sumlin, the Vaughans, Robert Cray etc etc.
eg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4BWM7-Diek
Buddy Guy is brilliant!
P
 Discipline - Pat
I think we do mature musically.

I freely admit to my first love being heavy rock and metal but I'm sitting here this morning with my Freeview signal having found it's freedom and gone, listening to Johnny Walker on Radio2 instead of Today in Parliament on BBC.

What a delight it is.

Neil Diamond....I am, I said

You Gotta Friend

Cathy's Clown

Just some I've thoroughly enjoyed but would have been embarrassed by in my younger years!

Many a night I would park up after a hard 15 hours in a layby somewhere for the night, do my paperwork, pop the digi-card and sit back to Shine On full blast with my eyes closed.

All the tensions of the day would disappear.

Pat
 Discipline - Zero

>> I suffered years of derision for my taste in music from my kids - then
>> all of a sudden they grew up and they start to appreciate the good stuff.

you then get the extraordinary scenario, where three generations all admire some of the same music, Mat Monroe "on days like these" for example, or Dame Shirl "history Repeating"
 Discipline - R.P.
There's a tee shirt for sale on some site or other "I may be old, but I got to hear all the best bands"
 Discipline - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcXrpCIl27U

I saw this and thought of you....probably faked but still !
 Discipline - WillDeBeest
I may be old
but I got to hear
all the best bands.

PARDON?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 9 Nov 15 at 09:19
 Discipline - Dog
That Joe Bonamassa one is mucho goodo - I've played it twice already. Sure plays a mean guitar.
 Discipline - Armel Coussine
'OK, I suppose' is a very polite and tolerant whippersnapper's judgement. Times change and tastes with them. It's absurd to expect one's descendants to like the music one likes oneself.

Many years ago I sneered at my middle daughter's childhood liking for Duran Duran and bullyingly promoted the Rolling Stones as vastly preferable. I still feel guilty over that crass, immature piece of arrogance.

The daughter did come round to the Stones though a year or so later.

I'm not keen on Stairway to Heaven.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 9 Nov 15 at 14:00
 Discipline - No FM2R
>> I still feel guilty over that crass, immature piece of arrogance.

And so you should. Sneering at anybody's taste is unpleasant, but more especially so with your own daughter.
>> And so you should.

Another redundant comment from FMR... I'm enlightened already. Go back to bashing your children with sledgehammers and stop wittering.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 9 Nov 15 at 14:19
 Discipline - No FM2R
Don't worry AC, not too much anyway, give it half an hour and you'll never find the post again in any case.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 9 Nov 15 at 16:52
Actually I doubt if you ever lay a finger on your descendants FMR.

Do you ever come to the South-East corner of England? I think we would get on quite well.
 Discipline - No FM2R
Not, as it happens, that often AC.

However, the next time I am in the UK, I shall make a point of it. I shall start saving for the price of a pint of Vodka & Orange in an English pub forthwith.
>> pint of Vodka & Orange in an English pub

Wow, that'd cost you the way I drink it... but I keep that for late night at home.

There's some nice beer in the local pubs though, and the pubs are all right too especially the very hip Rising Sun. Couple of pints put me on the borderline, but the lanes are quiet and I'm a very good driver so no problemo.

I'm well used to beating the traffic consistently and safely while ripped as a stoat, from my minicabbing days. But I don't do that nowadays. No point. And asking for trouble and embarrassment although the local fuzz are civil.
 Discipline - No FM2R
I do not drink and drive. Not ever. I didn't do it much before my accident and I don't do it all now.

Just as easy to get a driver and then one can not only get blasted without worry, one gets to sleep on the way home.

I cannot imagine what a decent Vodka & Orange would cost at pub prices, but here 1 pint, 50:50 Vodka & Orange is about £3.50 with a decent vodka.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 9 Nov 15 at 18:57
 Discipline - bathtub tom
>>here 1 pint, 50:50 Vodka & Orange is about £3.50 with a decent vodka.

You got Wetherspoons there too?
 Discipline - No FM2R
If you can get a pint of decent vodka and orange for £3.50 in a Wetherspoons, then what is all the whinging about? Clearly a suburb organisation that gets my vote.

Sadly, I fear that you cannot.
 Discipline - sooty123
>> I cannot imagine what a decent Vodka & Orange would cost at pub prices, but
>> here 1 pint, 50:50 Vodka & Orange is about £3.50 with a decent vodka.
>>

Quite a few places here wouldn't even serve you that, otherwise £20?
 Discipline - MD
>> I do not drink and drive. Not ever.

Right, OK. ESTABLISHED.

>> I didn't do it much before my accident and I don't do it all now.

"Much"' now not at all?
 Discipline - Dog
Howls about: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKEQUwkcNBk
Latest Forum Posts