Non-motoring > International mail misdirected Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 3

International mail misdirected - henry k
About three weeks ago my daughter sent us a couple of normal view type postcards from the USA. Both clearly addressed ....UK

They have just arrived but both have a chunk missing/torn off from half the height across to half the width so a tiny fraction of the large original stamp survived.
Stamped in red in " MISSSENT TO BERMUDA" on both of them.
Very strange that both went astray.

Has anyone else had mail treated this way?
 International mail misdirected - Ted

A couple of years ago I sent one of my regular envelopes containing some A4 paperwork and a couple of MOTs to my then employers. A few weeks later I got it back, opened, to find out the sender, in a large Post Office envelope demanding £1.25 as it was too big for the measuring slot. No-one asked for the dosh...it just came through the letter box.

I put the stuff in another envelope from the same batch and put on an address label from the same sheet.

I took it to the post office where my mate Ali shoved it easily through the slot, weighed it and put a standard first class stamp on it.

It got to Leeds without any problem................exactly the same item !
 International mail misdirected - Aretas
Immediately after the war my mum was sent some (then hugely prized) nylons. We lived in Newark (Notts). The arrived having travelled via Newark (New Jersey).
 International mail misdirected and domestic post. - henry k
It is the season when some Christmas cards are misaddressed.

Every year we get a card sent from the same family to our address with the " correct post code on it but the wrong road.
Also had one for the same road name but a town 5 miles away.
I do try to re-post them to what I think is the intended location but the last one reappeared.
I had forgotten to cross off the line of orange auto sort indicators.

So those who are not aware if you do not cross them out then all your fine writing will not get seen as the auto sorter will direct it. You local postie might notice it but he is a rather busy person this time of the year.

I believe the code is called DPS -Delivery Point Suffix.
If the barcode was printed by Royal Mail on to the item then it's in a proprietary format which they are unwilling to reveal the details of. Indeed there have been several Freedom Of Information Act requests on that subject which Royal Mail have rejected - for an example see www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/specification_for_the_tag_code_a.

The Royal Mail ones are usually printed either: in orange ink in the bottom right and/or middle right of the envelope (tag and route codemarks from an iLSM, MTT or similar)
Latest Forum Posts