Non-motoring > Two step verification Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 11

Two step verification - Crankcase
I've never bothered with two step verification on any of my stuff. Having just got an obvious phishing mail for the billionth time I faintly thought about it, so just looked up what you have to do to set it up.

Falls at the first for me as you have to have an sms enabled mobile, which for boring reasons I don't reliably have.

Not sure I can be doing with all the hoops here.

Am I mad? Everyone else long since using it?
 Two step verification - CGNorwich
What is two step verification. I have no idea. Can you explain ?
 Two step verification - Crankcase
Ah. Sorry. But I guess I already learned it's not immediately universal then and I'm miles behind the curve here!

Most providers such as Google, Apple, your bank etc, offer it. It means you need both a password and something like a four digit number to get into your account or other service. So,you put in your password and they text you the number, without which you can't proceed. Hence two step, and if someone gets your password it's no good to them. Or the banks use those little pin generator things, although again, neither of my banks do.

Of course, if they get your phone, as far as I can tell you're then stuffed anyway.

Two step verification - CGNorwich
Sounds a lot of faff. My bank uses one of those pin generators and that seems adequate. I try not to to be paranoid about security. Never had any trouble wiht online stuff. Only fraud I have ever encountered was hav ing by credit car skimmed and cloned in Hungary and that got sorted without any cost to me.
 Two step verification - Zero
never use two step verification. A phasing email is easily spotted and dispatched, so is no threat.
 Two step verification - No FM2R
I use difficult passwords.

Plus, if I log into any of my accounts from a PC, phone or other device that i have never used before then it will text me a code to my phone for me to enter

If i have used that device before there is no second step.

So, other than once for each PC it is no effort.

Even if my password were discovered you would also need my phone to get in.

Works for me.

Two step verification - Ted
My bank, after entering myPIN, then get me to enter certain letters of a chosen word. Seems to work fine.

If I set up another on-line payment they email me a pin then ring my mobile within a couple of seconds for me to tell them the pin they have allocated. No probbies there either.
 Two step verification - Robin O'Reliant
I've got one of those credit card sized thingies from my bank with a display on it. After entering my password I then type a pin number into the card and receive a six figure code to put in the box on the website. The code is only valid for about thirty seconds after receiving it.
 Two step verification - R.P.
Both my "regular" Banks have 2 stage verification. I have one non Bank account site that offfers the service you describe. is there a means to set that up on other sites I wonder ?
 Two step verification - sooty123
I use those card reader things from the bank. Very useful for me, far few passwords to use and try and remember. Nice bit of technology far better than the texting you codes set up.
 Two step verification - No FM2R
All Microsoft sites, all Google sites, Facebook, Twitter and most other social media sites, all my financial services sites and a few others.

In fact I don't think I have any site that contains personal information that does not.

Forum sites and media sites do not as far as I can tell. But then my password to all of those is the same and no secret.
 Two step verification - R.P.
Oh ! I get it. Yes of course my Chrome has it ! Don't use Microsoft.
Latest Forum Posts