Non-motoring > Whoops....nearly cost tax-payers nothing... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 7

Whoops....nearly cost tax-payers nothing... - R.P.
www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2015/11/16/team-stops-coastguard-helicopter-rolling-over-in-ingleborough-rescue

Our local SAR Aircraft nearly falls over. Who'd pay for a new one ?

In all seriousness they've proved their worth
www.deeside.com/deeside/latest-news/north-wales-based-coastguard-search-and-rescue-helicopter-busiest-in-uk/

Everyone I know be-moaned the loss of C Flight from RAF Valley. The guys were overtasked and flying in 30 year old clapped out aircraft. I know privatization is bad in some people's eyes...they now have shiny new aircraft, some new jobs been created. We are odd race stuck in the past...past s always best isn't it
 Whoops....nearly cost tax-payers nothing... - MD
I know a gentleman not far from me that worked for Bristows as a highly regarded engineer. He was less than happy about their willingness to fly aircraft that in his eyes should have remained grounded until certain items of essential equipment/maintenance were 10/10. Just saying.
 Whoops....nearly cost tax-payers nothing... - legacylad
I got the full story on that most evenings in the pub from a friend who is a member of the Clapham based CRO. He told me it was worth £28m which I find hard to believe. Anyway, it had to be guarded every night by CRO members, and once stabilised, sat/ slept in it. No internal photos allowed as some sensitive kit.
 Whoops....nearly cost tax-payers nothing... - Bromptonaut
Wiki sugests a list price of $32m. Add in the kit for all weather SAR and the quoted figure looks plausible.

For comparison Jet2's recently announced 737 800NG are believed to be about £63m a pop.
 Whoops....nearly cost tax-payers nothing... - helicopter
My previous company bought and still own a couple of S92's and indeed I have a manufacturers model of one in my office here at home which was given to me by my old CEO.

IIRC we paid around $26 million each for them but that was a few years ago.
I remember a Sea king grounded by bad icing on a rescue. RAF sent RAF regiment to guard. Not a happy bunch of warriors...
 Whoops....nearly cost tax-payers nothing... - sooty123
> Everyone I know be-moaned the loss of C Flight from RAF Valley. The guys were
>> overtasked and flying in 30 year old clapped out aircraft. I know privatization is bad
>> in some people's eyes...they now have shiny new aircraft, some new jobs been created. We
>> are odd race stuck in the past...past s always best isn't it
>>

I don't think they created any new jobs, posts will have been lost when it got transferred to the private company. They were never given the money to buy new aircraft, if they'd had the money that's been spent on this contract they might well be in shiney new aircraft.
But is that the primary function of a Military Air Arm...? I know it developed tremendous flying skills etc
Latest Forum Posts