Non-motoring > Religious Ads in the Cinema Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 40

Religious Ads in the Cinema - Bromptonaut
News today reports that cinema groups have rejected and ad featuring the words of the Lord's Prayer as they have a block policy of no religious or political advertising.

This Guardian correspondent, sharing my liking of BoJo's 'nonsense on stilts' phrase, thinks they're wrong:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/22/banning-lords-prayer-cinema-star-wars-christianity

OTOH I quite approve of the simplicity of 'No' against the difficulty of deciding what's acceptable.

What do the panel think?
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Manatee
I think "No" to all religious adverts is the right answer but only because we have passed the point where it would be have been possible to discriminate between the beneficial or relatively harmless ones such as the Anglicans, and the outright loony or nasty fundamentalist ones. Hence my preference for a secular state.
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Stuartli
According to a senior member of the C of E on Sky News earlier, the policy was changed after they had originally checked out with the advertising company and the British Film Certification Board before starting on the advertisement's production.
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Haywain
"What do the panel think?"

Like cigarette smoking, religion is an unhealthy addiction that kills thousands, and advertising it should be similarly banned.

I say that as an atheist, though our choir will be singing a selection of Christmas carols on Thursday evening ......... I guess my one nod to hypocrisy!
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Manatee

>> I say that as an atheist, though our choir will be singing a selection of
>> Christmas carols on Thursday evening ......... I guess my one nod to hypocrisy!

I am not at all religious, more anti, but I don't mind singing carols.

I'm quite vexed that I will have to miss the choral society's performance of Messiah on 19th December, having committed elsewhere. Tring Parish Church, if anybody fancies it - it will be good, with professional soloists.

www.tringchoral.org.uk/
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Old Navy
Allow one lots advert and refuse another, get sued. The cinema companies don't need the hassle and I don't blame them.
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Zero
>> Allow one lots advert and refuse another, get sued.

Yeah, by the Christian Scientists. Religion is a personal thing and personally I dont want it shoved down my throat, by any of them.
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Robin O'Reliant
Just to make it clear, no-one has "Banned" anything. The cinema chains in question have policies which preclude the showing of adverts which promote a particular religious or political cause.

And the reason they don't want to "Offend" is because they are commercial organisations and they do no want to lose the custom of those who might object and take their money elsewhere, the same as if they showed adverts promoting the BNP or ISIS.
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Slidingpillar
As I got the message this morning on the news, had the cinema lot just said 'no', there would be little to argue. But as they unnecessarily tried to justify the decision it gave the religious lot something to get excited about.

Far, far better not to do any religious or political advertising.
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Stuartli
>>Just to make it clear, no-one has "Banned" anything. The cinema chains in question have policies which preclude the showing of adverts which promote a particular religious or political cause.>>

Yes, but as I pointed out a little earlier, it's claimed that this was AFTER it agreed to the advertisement being shown.

I'm sure a prominent member of the Church of England clergy wouldn't make up the fact that the advertising agency and BFCB had approved the advertisement being shown.
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Old Navy
.>> I'm sure a prominent member of the Church of England clergy wouldn't make up the
>> fact that the advertising agency and BFCB had approved the advertisement being shown.
>>

It makes no difference who approved it, the cinema companies won't show it. Their screen their choice.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Nov 15 at 00:00
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - No FM2R
>>Their screen their choice

I entirely agree; with the one proviso that they should be consistent and even handed.

>> I'm sure a prominent member of the Church of England clergy wouldn't make up the
>> fact that the advertising agency and BFCB had approved the advertisement being shown.

neither are the commercial cinema operators. One just looks after our moral health and one makes money from leading people astray.

Religious Ads in the Cinema - smokie
Maybe - but which one is which?
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Dog
>>religion is an unhealthy addiction that kills thousands

But helps millions.

The majority of the charities in the world were inspired by Christianity.

Hospitals were started by Christians.

Human rights groups, such as Amnesty International were started by Christians.
"But helps millions."

Indeed, and my son would point out the beneficial side to smoking .......
>> Hospitals were started by Christians.

As was much of our Education system. A legacy of that is the the Church of England owns the freehold of a very significant part of the nation's school estate.

Bit of a problem when the government decide ALL schools marked down by OFSTED will become academies and looks as though it's confiscating land from the church. I cannot decide if the worrying bit is the confiscation or the fact that nobody saw that problem coming.

>> Human rights groups, such as Amnesty International were started by Christians.

Less clear about that one. Can you enlarge?
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Dog
>>Less clear about that one. Can you enlarge?

Amnesty International was founded in London in July 1961 by English labour lawyer Peter Benenson.

Benenson worked with friend Eric Baker. Baker was a member of the Religious Society of Friends who had been involved in funding the British Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament as well as becoming head of Quaker Peace and Social Witness, and in his memoirs Benenson described him as "a partner in the launching of the project".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesty_International
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Roger.
I am a non-believer, (ALL religions) but I do wonder a bit if the West by lessening its belief in Christianity has not made it easier for Islam to rise.
>> I am a non-believer, (ALL religions) but I do wonder a bit if the West
>> by lessening its belief in Christianity has not made it easier for Islam to rise.

Excellent - we can blame it on you
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - R.P.
As a sort of Christian maybe...I dunno, I don't go to any religious services (other than Wedding and Funerals etc) - that's just to say where I stand on it, before saying that I agree with the Cinemas for the reasons given above, I think that ISIS wanting a slot is going a bit far !!

I think that Welby is a decent and good man by the way.
Lets just say its sweet revenge for the church trying to get Monty Python and the Holy Grail banned.
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - R.P.
That was 40 years ago...!
"Lets just say its sweet revenge for the church trying to get Monty Python and the Holy Grail banned."

I remember them trying to ban 'The Life of Brian'; I didn't know they'd had a go at 'MP and Holy Grail' as well.

As time goes on it becomes even more apparent that 'The Life of Brian' is the greatest satirical work ........ ever!
>> "Lets just say its sweet revenge for the church trying to get Monty Python and
>> the Holy Grail banned."
>>
>> I remember them trying to ban 'The Life of Brian'; I didn't know they'd had
>> a go at 'MP and Holy Grail' as well.

sorry - yes i meant LoB. Its only just been give the go ahead to be screened in Bornemouth.,
>> Amnesty International was founded in London in July 1961 by English labour lawyer Peter Benenson.
>>
>> Benenson worked with friend Eric Baker. Baker was a member of the Religious Society of
>> Friends

Ahh get that bit. Thought you meant Amnesty started with a religious objective in same way as say Christian Aid or CAFOD. The involvement of Quakers in 'good work' whether for piece or research and releif of poverty (Rowntree, Cadbury etc) is worth several books on its own.
 Religious Ads in the Cinema - Cliff Pope
>> >> The involvement of Quakers in 'good work' whether
>> for piece or research and releif of poverty (Rowntree, Cadbury etc) is worth several books
>> on its own.
>>

Like founding Lloyds Bank you mean ? :)
 Religious Ads - VxFan
Along similar lines:

Has no one got a sense of humour anymore?

"Christmas card display mocking Jesus removed after a complaint"

Rather than spreading Christmas cheer at Scribbler, in Oxford city centre, it caused disgust for one resident as two of the bestsellers mocked Jesus.

One card in the display depicted the religious figure as a cheese with a beard and the caption ‘Cheeses of Nazareth’.

The other showed a picture of Jesus with the line: ‘It’s all about me.’

www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14091458.Christmas_card_display_mocking_Jesus_removed_after_a_complaint/
 Religious Ads - R.P.
Bible says "Blessed are the Cheesemakers" so that's ok.

Listening to Jeremy Vine on the way back from the shops earlier, I can't believe how people are winding themselves up over this.....proves though, there's no such thing as bad publicity. The other thought is why do find a prayer that promotes love and forgiveness as being offensive...? We could do with some of that I guess.
 Religious Ads - Old Navy
I heard on the radio this afternoon that a politician has criticised the cinema companies for their blanket ban on religious or political advertisements. I am sure he won't accept liability for any losses incurred.
 Religious Ads - Zero
>> I heard on the radio this afternoon that a politician has criticised the cinema companies
>> for their blanket ban on religious or political advertisements. I am sure he won't accept
>> liability for any losses incurred.

He'd also soon be hopping up and down with rage if a fundamentalist muslim or jewish group did a cinema add blitz. Ah yes - sorry forgot, he only wants adds from approved religions shown. Wonder who would be responsible for the approved list?
 Religious Ads - Manatee

>> He'd also soon be hopping up and down with rage if a fundamentalist muslim or
>> jewish group did a cinema add blitz. Ah yes - sorry forgot, he only wants
>> adds from approved religions shown. Wonder who would be responsible for the approved list?

Exactly.

No publisher is obliged to carry any advertisement, legal or not. But if they carried the CofE one they could be in a difficult position with the discrimination laws if they then declined the loony cults, politically motivated, and fundamentalist ones.
 Religious Ads - Alanovich
>> No publisher is obliged to carry any advertisement, legal or not. But if they carried
>> the CofE one they could be in a difficult position with the discrimination laws if
>> they then declined the loony cults, politically motivated, and fundamentalist ones.
>>

And the difference between a religion and a loony cult is, er, well, umm...........
 Religious Ads - CGNorwich
I think it fair to say that those who go to the cinema regularly don't want to be preached at whilst waiting for the main feature. The drinks and car adds are bad enough. I doubt if any of those making a fuss ever go to the cinema.

If I am paying £10 for a seat I have the right to say what I want to watch and it's not some Mad Mullah or Born Again Christian.

Religious and Political Adds would be deterrent to cinema going. The Cinema companies know that. It isn't going to happen.

The churches could always show films. It might improve attendances

Religious Ads - Old Navy
>> The churches could always show films. It might improve attendances
>>

The local one does, once a month, ice cream and popcorn included in the small fee. Usually well attended.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Nov 15 at 17:06
 Religious Ads - Zero
>> >> The churches could always show films. It might improve attendances
>> >>
>>
>> The local one does, once a month, ice cream and popcorn included in the small
>> fee. Usually well attended.

How many times do you want to see "Born Free"? Good theme by Matt Monroe tho.
 Religious Ads - Mapmaker
As Christmas is a Christian festival (it's the 'Christ' bit that gives it away) and Father Christmas is a Christian saint (Saint Nicholas) based on a real person, 15 March 270 – 6 December 343, you get the Christian message every time you see a jolly chap in a red coat in an Argos Christmas ad. Who is censoring those?
 Religious Ads - Crankcase
Didn't it used to be a green coat and no beard in the nineteenth century, when the Victorians basically invented Christmas as we know it, until Coca Cola got their ad out with the red coat, and it's stuck ever since? Something like that anyway.
 Religious Ads - Dog
>> Didn't it used to be a green coat and no beard in the nineteenth century

Ah! - that would explain it then, byrd sent me a pic of some goings on in Spain with peeps wearing green daddy xmas cloaks with red trousers.
 Religious Ads - Bromptonaut
>> As Christmas is a Christian festival (it's the 'Christ' bit that gives it away)

Mmmm. Isn't it more of a question of the pre Christian celebration of the season's turn being adopted by Christians?

For a lot of us it's a secular festival centred around the family.
 Religious Ads - Robin O'Reliant
>> As Christmas is a Christian festival (it's the 'Christ' bit that gives it away) and
>> Father Christmas is a Christian saint (Saint Nicholas) based on a real person, 15 March
>> 270 – 6 December 343, you get the Christian message every time you see a
>> jolly chap in a red coat in an Argos Christmas ad. Who is censoring those?
>>
No one has censored anything. The cinema chains have taken a commercial decision not to show the ad in question. That isn't censorship, it's a choice.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 24 Nov 15 at 11:04
Latest Forum Posts