Non-motoring > Zafira dryer? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 52

Zafira dryer? - Old Navy
www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3330462/Fire-risk-forces-maker-Hotpoint-Indesit-Creda-recall-appliances.html

Worth an online check of any dryer you may have. A fire could ruin your whole day.The manufacturers have a model number check on their websites.
 Zafira dryer? - Zero
Its not restricted to those makes. Every dryer known to man collects fluff on its innards, any of them can catch fire.
 Zafira dryer? - Crankcase
I just checked ours anyway (says Crusader on it, no idea who actually made it, but the model and serial number were where the Hotpoint model checker website said they would be), and the model checker unsurprisingly said not affected.

But the tumble dryer has always for us been one of the things we would never use when out of the house, or when we are asleep for exactly that fiery reason.Not going to happen.

Dishwasher, washing machine, yes, although not by preference.
 Zafira dryer? - Falkirk Bairn
Checked model etc with the website

Turns out many owners do not clear the fluff trap after every use or clean out the condenser every few months.

Our Hotpoint dryer is affected, but all it said was to clean the machine and they will write back in 5 weeks or so.

There is an instrctional video to show you how to do it - take of the lint and rise the condenser with running water.
 Zafira dryer? - DP
Our old Creda (circa 2003 and still going strong) needs the condenser washing out every couple of uses or else the drying performance drops right off.

I take it outside and do it with the garden hose.
I don't know what this condenser thing is of which you all speak. I've never done anything with ours in ten years, and it's so far behaved perfectly well. Dries in the same time it always has done.

Beginning to squeak a bit though, so the bearings might be going. It's done well though if it fails tomorrow.

Edit. We do empty the lint collection netty thing it has every time we use it, does that count?
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 24 Nov 15 at 15:43
 Zafira dryer? - Old Navy
>> But the tumble dryer has always for us been one of the things we would
>> never use when out of the house, or when we are asleep for exactly that
>> fiery reason.Not going to happen.
>>
>> Dishwasher, washing machine, yes, although not by preference.
>>

Same here.
 Zafira dryer? - WillDeBeest
And here. Barely use ours at all, in fact.

The condenser is that thing the shape and size of a telephone directory (younger readers [!] ask your grandparents) that slots in below the drum. Pull it out and you'll find multiple metal leaves with enough fluff lodged between them to knit a complete new wardrobe.
 Zafira dryer? - CGNorwich
Not all tumble dryers have condensers. In fact most don't and are directly vented to the outside via length of tubing. The vented types have a fluff filter which should be cleaned after each use
From those descriptions (thanks chaps) ours has no condenser then and is indeed vented out.
 Zafira dryer? - Zero
>> From those descriptions (thanks chaps) ours has no condenser then and is indeed vented out.
>>

Mine is a condensing tumble dryer, chosen because where it is placed there is no outside wall to vent through. I dont have to empty the water on mine because I have it drained via the washing machine outlet, but I have to hose out the condenser of every couple of months.

Every two years I also take them outside, strip them apart, and clean all the fluff out of the air manifolds and heaters.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 24 Nov 15 at 17:30
 Zafira dryer? - Pat
Well, no need for me to do the wealth calculator now.

I'm poorer than all of you because I can't afford to run a dryer.

I hang my washing on the clothes line in the garden and when it comes in it smells of lovely fresh air.....not that silly 'faux' fresh air out of a bottle.

If it's wet I hang it in the greenhouse.

Far cheaper and healthier, not to mention easier on my carbon footprint.

Pat
 Zafira dryer? - Old Navy
>>not to mention easier on my carbon footprint.
>>
>> Pat
>>

You will have to give up carbon completely to compensate for driving <10mpg lorries for years. Dragging your van around can't help either. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 24 Nov 15 at 18:12
 Zafira dryer? - No FM2R
I agree on the clothes hanging outside. But on the rare occasions I have hung stuff in the greenhouse it ends up smelling kind of musty.

We have a tumble dryer here. Goodness knows when it was last used - a couple of years I should think. The advantage of predictable weather.
 Zafira dryer? - Bromptonaut
>> Mine is a condensing tumble dryer, chosen because where it is placed there is no
>> outside wall to vent through.

Mine is on an outside wall and has a vent pipe leading outside. Unfortunately the cretin sub sub contracting for the developer installed it at half the depth of the tumble dryer 'slot' in the utility and not at the back. Since we'd no tumble dryer when we moved in neither of us noticed in time to get it fixed under 'snagging' so we're stuck with condenser driers.

The current Bosch can detect when the condenser is getting blocked and stops working/flashes a warning light. Pretty easy to rinse out and I take opportunity to clean the rest of the airpath at same time.

The filter is cleaned after every use. Quite interesting how stuff that washing doesn't shift is drawn into the fluff filter.
 Zafira dryer? - Runfer D'Hills
I don't permit the use of either the tumble dryer or the dishwasher in our house unless in exceptional circumstances due to their excess energy use.

Anyway it keeps her fit and gives her something to do. I'm not without my pastoral side you know.
 Zafira dryer? - Armel Coussine
We have a tumble dryer next to the washing machine in the hall. It makes a groaning noise for hours on end and covers the clothes with evil fluff. I hate it.

We turn these devices on after midnight on alleged economy grounds, and they are just through a thinnish breezeblock and plaster wall from our bedroom, so if I go to bed early their whirring and moaning can keep me awake for a while.

Herself, bless her, sleeps the sleep of the just, but I have always lived with an uneasy conscience.
 Zafira dryer? - Pat
The only people who use tumble dryers are the ones who don't want to do any ironing!

The same people who meticulously recycle their rubbish to save the planet.

Open the vents in the greenhouse, it gets rid of the musty smell and dries them quicker!

Pat
 Zafira dryer? - Zero
>> The only people who use tumble dryers are the ones who don't want to do
>> any ironing!

Those who dont, smell of fabric conditioning. What was your trucker CB handle, Lenor?
 Zafira dryer? - Pat
Maggie May actually!

Pat
 Zafira dryer? - Bromptonaut
>> Maggie May actually!

Oh dear.

Obvs you were thinking of Rod Stewart but hopefully not ignorant of the other song of same name about a Liverpool Judy.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc4GITm7PfY
 Zafira dryer? - Pat
Rod Stewarts version has much the same sentiments Bromp, poignant and thought provoking just like The Killing of Georgie.

Pat
A 3 lkw tumble drier costs around 50p an hour to run or to put it another way 7 hours for a pint of beer or 14 hours for a packet of cigarettes. Cheap really to save wet washing draped around the house
Obviously cheaper to use a clothes line but it quite often rains in England and not everyone has a garden let alone a greenhouses
 Zafira dryer? - No FM2R
A packet of cigarettes is £7!!?? Damn I'm glad I gave up, I'd be broke in a week.
 Zafira dryer? - R.P.
Rarely used here....either line dried in the garden, or in the garage which is warm and snug. I used it the other day to dry something that was urgently needed one off for me.
 Zafira dryer? - Pat
I pay £3.80 but I don't buy them in the Uk:)

Pat
 Zafira dryer? - No FM2R
When Marlboro Red were about £4.00 in the UK they were costing me about 50p in Rio.

Its been years but I still miss it from time to time.
I think I was underestimating the cost. Years since I bought any for someone. I don't smoke. Current price of Marlboro is over £9 for 20

www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Tobacconist/Marlboro_Red_King_Size_Cigarettes_20.html?TrackingCode=52.ag-jMjCW4k2k_Z5iaWuIbg
 Zafira dryer? - No FM2R
B***** hell.

That is a lot of money.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 24 Nov 15 at 19:15
 Zafira dryer? - Zero
I think Marlboro reds were over a fiver a packet when I gave it the elbow. I think i gave up in 2005 or 6
 Zafira dryer? - No FM2R
I gave up in 2003 I think. Could have been 2004.
 Zafira dryer? - Armel Coussine
That's right, nine or ten quid for 20 useless tipped snouts.

My parents used to get sealed tins of 50 Player's Medium in Ceylon in the forties. Probably got them free too.

Those sealed tins were a good idea.They kept the snout fresh, and you could smell it when you pierced the seal with the little spike provided... If you buy untipped cigarettes these days they are hopelessly dry from being in poorly-sealed packets.
 Zafira dryer? - Zero
>> I don't permit the use of either the tumble dryer or the dishwasher in our
>> house unless in exceptional circumstances due to their excess energy use.
>>
>> Anyway it keeps her fit and gives her something to do. I'm not without my
>> pastoral side you know.

Hope she put a hanky on that lacerated foot, don't want blood stains round the house do we.
We have a lovely washing line but it's very rare we get to use it in winter. Even in summer if you can't even put it out until 7pm, when we get home, there's not much time for it to dry before bed.
Most of the year it's always dark when we're at home, except at weekends, and that's when all the shopping and parental visiting has to happen, so little chance then to do washing and drying either.

Hence tumble dryer most of the time. Luckily the utility room is in the South Wing so you can't hear it In the study or the snooker room, although sometimes there's a rumble in the library.
 Zafira dryer? - Zero

>> Hence tumble dryer most of the time. Luckily the utility room is in the South
>> Wing so you can't hear it In the study or the snooker room, although sometimes
>> there's a rumble in the library.

Its colonel mustard in the drawing room with the lead pipe.
 Zafira dryer? - mikeyb
We use our dryer quite a bit.

Its a siemens condensing job, but as soon as the filters are blocked it stops and beeps, so no choice but to clean them regularly
The lead pipe is in the utility room. Plumbing is rather old
 Zafira dryer? - Roger.
Our tumble dryer lives in our shed and is vented through a hole I cut in the back (side actually) wall. I fixed a plastic vent cover on the outside to stop rain ingress and thoroughly sealed everything.
At this time of year it is on every day, to dry our wet towels.
Works a treat and gets used regularly. It's a BEKO!
Our gas & leccy bills are under £900. p.a. and we keep warm as and when necessary. (22.5C lounge temperature when sitting around in the evening)
Life is too short to mess around draping washing over radiators.
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 24 Nov 15 at 20:07
 Zafira dryer? - Manatee
We (well, the staff) use a creel suspended from the kitchen ceiling above the rayburn.

The rumble dryer seems very wasteful - it might dry things more quickly, but if you aren't having to watch them dry what's the benefit of that?

Zafira dryer? - Ted
I checked ours out on the website just in case it was made by one of the makers in question. It isn't. It's a White Knight........recommended by our local Indy....who we've trusted for years.

It lets us know when something's wrong with it........it never has. It's in the laundry vented to the outside.

Anyway, we never put fluff in it...I don't see the point in trying to dry fluff....might as well just chuck it away damp as spend money drying it just to go in the bin !
 Zafira dryer? - Dog
We never had a tumble dryer 'til we moved in here 4.5 years ago and took over the Whirlpool which previous bods left behind - wouldn't be without it now, 'specially living in Cornwall where it reigns every day (and twice on Sundays)

Always wanted a Rayburn and have had mucho experience of firing up two of my friends jobbies inc. cooking a full roast dinner on one but, I've jist laid out £2k on a 8kw Hunter Herald (+ new liner!!) A Rayburn would have bin double that so, perhaps if and when I sell this gaff I'll gofer one, as I do miss sitting in mateys kitchen/diner being pleasantly warmed by theirs which was on (solid fuel) 24/7.
 Zafira dryer? - legacylad
I rarely use my tumble dryer, prefering to hang damp washing outside. A few years ago I bought one of these heated airers from Lakeland, but it's still in the box. Most damp stuff just goes on a normal airer in my garden room aka extension.
In a perfect world my house would have a lovely covered sun deck, South facing, perfect for evening G & T and leaving the washing out on.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 08:55
 Zafira dryer? - Zero

>> In a perfect world my house would have a lovely covered sun deck, South facing,
>> perfect for evening G & T and leaving the washing out on.

You live ooopp north. The only good thing facing south is the road to london.
 Zafira dryer? - legacylad
Facing South, the limestone escarpments above Settle are quite pleasing on the eye, especially when they catch the evening sun. Very occasionally.
Apart from when those steam specials obscure some of the view. Which reminds me, I need some decent binoculars to look at them from my upstairs windows.
 Zafira dryer? - Old Navy
>> You live ooopp north. The only good thing facing south is the road to london.
>>

Go play with your winter tyres. :-)
 Zafira dryer? - VxFan
We've got a White Knight dryer out in the shed with a flexible pipe out the back that attaches to a vent on the side of the shed. Got to be at least 15 yrs old. Apart from a broken door hinge (made from monkey metal), a torn filter, and a wire falling off the motor, it's been very good. Couldn't do without it. I hate towels that feel like sandpaper. Out of the dryer they're lovely and soft.

It shares its parts with a few other dryers, Zanussi, Electrolux, Frigidaire, Hygena, Novamatic, Tricity Bendix - to name but a few.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 10:12
 Zafira dryer? - Manatee
>>It shares its parts with a few other dryers, Zanussi, Electrolux, Frigidaire, Hygena, Novamatic, Tricity Bendix - to name but a few.

The brand has been extended to some products that aren't, but White Knight dryers are made in Halifax by Crosslee, who took over the Philips manufacturing operation more than 20 years ago.

It was a modern factory, not long in operation, and from what you say it sounds as of they are now manufacturing for other brands.
 Zafira dryer? - Roger.
>> I hate towels that feel like sandpaper. Out of the dryer they're lovely and soft.>>

I love crisp air dried towels!

Soft, dryer-dried, ones don't absorb water so well, IMO.

Zafira dryer? - Fullchat
Our Hotpoint dryer was subject to the issue and I duly completed their form online. They replied on Friday with 2 resolutions. Could be visited by an engineer in September - clearly a rush job :)
Or they would offer a brand new replacement, vented at £59 or a condenser one at £89 with a years warranty. Delivered, fitted and old one removed.
No brainer really. Ours is about 3 years old. Don't want the condenser one. these seem to be retailing at around £200.
Seems they are probably banging these out at cost and it is the cheaper option for them.

Zafira dryer? - mikeyb
Cheapest option for them plus they get to pull a potentially dangerous unit out of service rather than have to go to the cost / effort of hoping its fixed.

Sounds like a win win
 Zafira dryer? - Manatee
>> Its not restricted to those makes. Every dryer known to man collects fluff on its
>> innards, any of them can catch fire.

A surprising proportion, probably, never get the filter cleaned either.

I lived in a company flat during the week for while, years ago. A local lady came in to cook breakfast (those were the days) and did the bed linen etc.

She would leave the dryer on and say "it takes forever, and the timer only goes to two hours, would you mind putting it on again when it stops?"

After this happened a couple of times I had a look. The fluff accumulated in a filter in the door, and it was jammed solid. The mat I took out was like a pizza made from dense felt. I imagine that a motor, straining to shove damp air through that for hours on end, might get a bit hot.

The sheets etc. took about 20 minutes after that.
 Zafira dryer? - mikeyb
>> >> Its not restricted to those makes. Every dryer known to man collects fluff on
>> its
>> >> innards, any of them can catch fire.
>>
>> A surprising proportion, probably, never get the filter cleaned either.

Our Siemens dryer must be 12 years old now - it has no timer, you just set it to dry and the sensors decide when its done.

No chance of not cleaning the filter though - when it decided its full it just stops and the light flashes until you empty it - probably come on once a month if neither of us have bothered to do it
 Zafira dryer? - Dog
Popped in to see neighb this morning (77 year young Cornish woman) she showed me her tumble dryer which lives in her shed. T'was a Hotpoint Liberator which she bought 35 years ago ... 2nd hand!
Latest Forum Posts