Non-motoring > How much for a bottle of gin? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 47

How much for a bottle of gin? - Crankcase
Picking up on the posts in another thread about the high costs of tobacco, how about alcohol?

As in gin. As in £2000 a bottle.

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/story-28233875-detail/story.html

Don't drink the stuff myself. This feels like the Monster speaker cable of the alcohol world to me, but what do I know?
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Mapmaker
>>Monster speaker cable of the alcohol world

The law of diminishing returns, anyway.
 How much for a bottle of gin? - madf
Only six bottles produced ..

Better order one then..
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Armel Coussine
>> www.cambridge-news.co.uk/story-28233875-detail/story.html

I like gin (although it's terrible to get really drunk on), and I'm sure the Cambridge stuff is lovely. But I wouldn't pay that much for a bottle, even a hand-blown glass bottle, of something as basic and crude as gin, or any alcohol come to that.

I'm very happy with Gordon's or similar. But for my last birthday or last Christmas one or two people gave me bottles of posh, rare vodka. That was very fine while it lasted.
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Slidingpillar
There's a lot of codswallop talked in that article. The 'angels share' is what permeates through the barrel in the maturation process and has nothing to do with the distillation process.

When somebody has more money than sense, somebody else will relieve them of some money. Rule of life really.
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Stuartli
Gordon's sells on advertising levels - it's got quite a low ABV figure compared to superior rivals...:-)

Tangueray No 10 or Export Strength are the main choice of those I know who drink G and Ts almost exclusively.
>> Tangueray No 10 or Export Strength

That was what I meant by 'or similar'. Different alcohol levels simply mean you put more or less of the hard stuff in depending on its strength, and how big a drink you want.

Tanqueray is a decent brand, but it's all gin when you're guzzling it.

I can't bear tonic water. Quinine - the Jesuits' Bark - is ghastly stuff to me although others seem to love it.
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Slidingpillar
In terms of strength and taste, 40% abv is about right for me. So that instantly rules out Gordons at its namby pamby 37.5% abv. (Got me a few brownie points on a tour of the Beafeater distillery).

I'm quite partial to Beafeaters, Plymouth Gin is ok for making pinkers and Bombay Saphire is only ok for killing potted plants... Some of the export strength ones are ok, but it's surprising how fast one gets drunk on them.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 20:32
 How much for a bottle of gin? - sooty123
>> Tanqueray is a decent brand, but it's all gin when you're guzzling it.
>>
>> I can't bear tonic water. Quinine - the Jesuits' Bark - is ghastly stuff to
>> me although others seem to love it.
>>

I'm interested AC what do you have with gin, bitter lemon?
>> what do you have with gin, bitter lemon?

Orange juice.
>> >> what do you have with gin, bitter lemon?
>>
>> Orange juice.
>>

That's a new one on me, I'll have to try it.
 How much for a bottle of gin? - MD
We've gone from half a Lime in ours to a big piece of juicy Orange and I mean BIG. Squeezed Almost to death and then wiped around the rim (ooh! Matron) too. Always with Shsssh, you know who tinned tonic.

One of the dawgs just loves the fruit afterwards!
 How much for a bottle of gin? - No FM2R
Tanqueray No 10 is my favourite.

I'd drink a more expensive one if the taste was noticeably better, but how much better could the taste be? I might pay a tenner a bottle more if it was superb, but £2,000? Silly billies.

That's not buying a drink, that's showing off to visitors. And in not a very nice way, might I say.

Richest bloke I know, which you can take as being quite rich, prefers the normal Gordon's green bottle stuff and Stolichnaya vodka - and not always separately.
prefers the normal
>> Gordon's green bottle stuff and Stolichnaya vodka - and not always separately.
>>

Now there's a drink that would put hairs on your chest. A new one on me, is it customary to have a mixer?
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Zero
The Z housekeeper prefers the taste of Gordons, so despite being wimpy its the one we guzzle with Schweppes tonic (buy boxes of the small single shots cans of tonic, it means each drink is freshly sparkling) but it means I can pour myself large shots.

Tanqueray No 10 is the best by far at that price point. I do however have a soft spot for Mahon gin - rarely available in the uk.
More a fan of Bombay at export strength, don't mind Tanquerary gin just not at the top of the list. Not sure why, Bombay seems more 'fruity'?
>>Now there's a drink that would put hairs on your chest.

A personal and strong recommendation would be a bottle of cold Crabbie's Alcoholic Ginger Beer, a very large vodka and ice all in a pint glass.

Drink it before it gets warm though. Which is a bit of an issue here. 31 degrees today, spring has arrived and Crabbies & vodka woz drunk
 How much for a bottle of gin? - cosec
Negroni for me. Equal parts gin, red vermouth and Campari over ice with a twist of orange peel. Friday night after work is never quite right without one somehow.

Martin Millers gin is my current fav.
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Clk Sec
>>A personal and strong recommendation would be a bottle of cold Crabbie's Alcoholic Ginger Beer, a very large vodka and ice all in a pint glass.

I must give that a try as I'm partial to vodka and Crabbies ginger, but have never had them together. I'll stick with the whisky tumbler, though!
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Roger.
Predictably (!) Aldi gin + Aldi tonic.
I drink a lot of tonic as I use it added to orange squash to make a sort of bitter orange drink. It also works well as a 50/50 mix with not-from-concentrate Aldi O.J. (1.75 litres of O.J. for £1.67 and it's a better flavour than Tropicana/Sainsbury's/Tesco's equivalents.)
>>Richest bloke I know, which you can take as being quite rich, prefers the normal Gordon's green bottle stuff and Stolichnaya vodka - and not always separately.>>

One I know, who is almost certainly even more rich than the bloke you know, wouldn't touch Gordon's Gin with the proverbial barge pole...:-)
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Mapmaker
>>Tanqueray No 10 is my favourite

Yuk. I really dislike it, too sweet I think.

My three favourites are Tanqueray, Plymouth or Lidl's green-bottled gin. You can guess which one is drunk the most... Fourth favourite is the Spanish Gin Mare, served with a twig of Rosemary and a bay leaf (fresh).

I prefer my tonic from bottles as it makes it less fizzy after the first one.
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Manatee
I'll be tasting this stuff later in the week

www.puddingstonedistillery.com/

The fact that the people launching this new local business (which I sincerely hope is successful) are a marketing manager and a graphics designer might be indicative of what counts in the drinks industry.
 How much for a bottle of gin? - CGNorwich
Absolutley. Gin is just raw alcohol with a few pennies worth of herbs added. Everything else is hype and profit
>> Absolutley. Gin is just raw alcohol with a few pennies worth of herbs added. Everything
>> else is hype and profit

And tax
Oh Yes.
"And tax>>

Yet Morrison's, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Bargain Booze et al regularly offer major brands such as Bell's, Gordon's etc at £15 for a litre bottle.....

Most limit the number of bottles per customer to two or three, but this is easily overcome...:-)
>>Most limit the number of bottles per customer to two or three

Why do they do that? Is it just to try to generate some feeling of a bargain? Surely they don't really care who buys how much?

Unless, I guess, its a loss leader.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 26 Nov 15 at 17:09
>>Why do they do that? Is it just to try to generate some feeling of a bargain? Surely they don't really care who buys how much?>>

It's very simple. Try and buy more than the number of bottles allowed and the cash out operator cannot add these to your bill.

Remember these are offers at much less than the usual price and, one presumes, there must be some element of excise duty involved.

The way out is to go back into the store and buy additional bottles if you want them.
My question was "why", not "how".
>>My question was "why", not "how".>>

Most likely because, as far as I'm aware, such prices are lower than those in the pub trade can buy them.

You can work out the rest for yourself....:-)
I would have thought that 3 litres of gin would have been a sufficiency for most. I think the bottle I bought last Christmas is still in the sideboard. Not the sort of stuff you drink everyday is it?
>> Not
>> the sort of stuff you drink everyday is it?

It most certainly is.

>> I would have thought that 3 litres of gin would have been a sufficiency for most. I think the bottle I bought last Christmas is still in the sideboard.

If it was a litre, in our house it would have been gone before January was out.
Nope, still don't get it. Why does the supermarket limit how much of their stuff you can buy when its on offer?
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Focusless
2 possibilities spring to mind:
1. As suggested previously, it's a loss leader ie. they do actually lose money on them, but as long as no one takes too many, they recoup those losses on people who come in for the gin buying other stuff (which they do make money on).
2. They want to make it look like they lose money on it to make it appear more of a bargain, and assume no one would actually want to buy more than the limit (or would find ways around it).
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 27 Nov 15 at 09:23
 How much for a bottle of gin? - Pat
To stop the local offie going and buying it and re-selling, of course.

Pat
>> Nope, still don't get it. Why does the supermarket limit how much of their stuff you can buy when its on offer?>>

As I said, people can work the rest out for themselves.

At least one other poster is on the right lines....:-)
>>As I said, people can work the rest out for themselves

What is the point with keep "answering" a question cryptically? Either you can answer or you can't.

I should think its a combination of the two factors that Focusless mentions.

AS all the supermarkets have (more or less) dropped the price of 1L of Gordons at the same time, I would suspect there is a strong element of manufacturer support here. Its very difficult to find out the wholesale price of gin, probably because such a thing does not exist, but clearly its been cut at source. Do it now, so people buy it now, drink it now and have to buy more before xmas.

As far as why only two? You are all on the wrong track. Its logistics and customer expectations. They dont keep large stocks in store, do a cheap deal and a relatively few large buys will wipe out your floor stock, and normal jo customer who comes into the store will be upset to find the reason for his visit has disappeared. Jo customer may never come back.
>> Nope, still don't get it. Why does the supermarket limit how much of their stuff
>> you can buy when its on offer?

From the retailer point of view the purpose of the promotion is to create footfall, and reinforce the perception that the chain is price competitive generally.

The limited deals are also almost certainly supplier supported too. The supplier wants to increase brand awareness, market share, to get trial, and new customers.

None of that works if a few dozen publicans or shop owners come in and hoover up the stock, and will actually make customers angry when there is a promoted offer but no stock. The publican can of course make repeat visits (and they do) but at least the other shoppers don't see them clearing the shelf and filling a trolley.

I bought 3 x 1 litre bottles of Gordons last week in Costco last week at 13.99-1.50 promo+VAT= £14.99 each (the same promo price as seen in supermarkets) There was a bottle limit, I can't remember what - maybe 60 bottles.

The current price in Bookers cash and carry where I got some other stuff (used by freehouses, corner shops and caterers as well as people like me buying for a village hall event) is £14.99+ VAT=£17.99, three pounds more than Costco. The case price is the same at Booker, so it isn't a single bottle penalty price.

I see we said much the same thing.
>>I bought 3 x 1 litre bottles of Gordons last week in Costco last week at 13.99-1.50 promo+VAT= £14.99 each (the same promo price as seen in supermarkets) There was a bottle limit, I can't remember what - maybe 60 bottles.>>

You're discussing a Cash and Carry trade outlet rather than a supermarket.

>> >>I bought 3 x 1 litre bottles of Gordons last week in Costco last week
>> >> at 13.99-1.50 promo+VAT= £14.99

>> You're discussing a Cash and Carry trade outlet rather than a supermarket.

Have you seen the people who shop in Costco and what they buy? I see Costco as a retail outlet in that context but no matter. And the point was that the price was promotional, and the same as supermarkets, and that the trade price for small retailers (at Bookers) is actually higher - hence one reason for limits.

To Zero's point about stock, he's right, supermarkets minimise warehouse space to maximise retail sales area.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 27 Nov 15 at 10:34
>> Yet Morrison's, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Bargain Booze et al regularly offer major brands such as Bell's, Gordon's etc at £15 for a litre bottle.....

I picked up a litre of Gordons at my local Waitrose a few weeks back for £13.50.
>> >> Yet Morrison's, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Bargain Booze et al regularly offer major brands such as
>> Bell's, Gordon's etc at £15 for a litre bottle.....
>>
>> I picked up a litre of Gordons at my local Waitrose a few weeks back
>> for £13.50.

As did we
The prices are constantly changing depending on the outlet. With Christmas coming up, such offers are continually being revised.
>> >> I picked up a litre of Gordons at my local Waitrose a few weeks back for £13.50.
>>
>> As did we

I was expecting to pay £15, but the till receipt revealed a further £1.50 discount for using their store card. If I had had more time, I'd have gone back for more.

>> I would suspect there is a strong element of manufacturer support here.

Used to be the case. Almost certainly still is.

How much for a bottle of gin? - Dutchie
When I used to drink I was more of a Genever man.Jonge Genever or the Old Bokma Genever.

Tasty drink always drank it pure,a few tots is nice I drank more.

Gin is ok different smell I think Genever and Gin are related both can make you well and truly P.
Latest Forum Posts