Non-motoring > How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 21

How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Dog
...Early

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12012387/How-fast-your-heart-beats-predicts-if-you-will-die-early.html

I'm on 64 bpm but, I've just scoffed two 'healthy' fried eggz-on-toast and downed three cups of strong T.
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Zero
55, after my morning toast and two cups of coffee.
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Clk Sec
>> 55, after my morning toast and two cups of coffee.
>>

, and a pinch of salt...
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - smokie
Hmmm I'm on the low end of average, which surprises me given I could do with losing about 4+ stone and I gave up a lifelong 20+ a day habit less than a year ago. I have been "doing the gym" fairly regularly since stopping work in March, but avoid anything too strenuous down there...!!
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - legacylad
Well done for giving up the cigs. A good friend of mine has just lost two stone in 3 months by giving up beer Monday through Thursday, no more peanuts at the bar, and slightly improving his diet. No change to his exercise routine, which at best is 2 x 6 mile walks a week.

I'm overweight, probably a stone at most, but could easily lose it if I gave up beer 4 days a week, didn't eat as late at night and gave up all sweet stuff, which I only eat in moderation anyway.

I might rejoin my gym for two months this week... It's a friendly social scene, I enjoy the sauna, and the free & varied exercise classes make me push myself almost to the limit.
oops!

"The authors suggest taking a measurement of heart rate at night when the body is in its greatest state of relaxation and a more accurate reading is likely."
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - madf
Mine was 48 mid pm October when resting on a table in A&E (I ran for 35 years and now walk 30 + miles/week)

Edit:

No I was NOT in A&E for a heart attack:-).. I diy'd an operation with a circular saw on an index finger.. I'm now a stumpy)
Last edited by: madf on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 10:03
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - DP
Pretty stressful day and had three black coffees in the last 2 hours. Mine is 64 BPM according to my phone app.

This is highish for me. I'm normally 58-60.

Stopped smoking 3 yrs ago. Lost 2 stone, but still 2 stone overweight. Walk about 20 miles a week.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 10:51
My 'esteemed Plymouth fiend' is 102 bpm and (his werds) is basically f****d
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Fursty Ferret
38 on a good day.
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Cliff Pope
I thought the important thing was how quickly it slowed back to its normal rate after a burst of exercise?
Sometimes I wake up with a slow pulse, low body temperature, and feel faint if I stand up too quickly. But I'll live a long time, so that's all right.
>>I thought the important thing was how quickly it slowed back to its normal rate after a burst of exercise?

That's more a test of the level of fitness I believe. ISTR back min '67 I had a test whereby they checked my pulse, then I had to step up 'n down for a set time on one of those long wooden benches we had in skool gym, then they'd check it again after another period of time had passed.
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Armel Coussine
Just checked mine twice. BP 'normal' to 'optimal', heart rate 72-73 as it used to be when I was young. Dunno how accurate the monitor is though.
You'll most likely live well into your eighties Sire. Everyone gets a bit forgetful now and again, why, even I forget to put my listening ears on when er indoors wants me to do something or other :)
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - John Boy
If you like, AC, you can take a Voice From The Past memory test here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3euLzIBSVo
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Robin O'Reliant
Never read any medical stuff. You only worry.
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Crankcase
>> Never read any medical stuff. You only worry.
>>

Oh, that's good advice. I wish somebody would tell me that.
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Armel Coussine
>> If you like, AC, you can take a Voice From The Past memory test here:

Heh heh... instant recognition.
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Stuartli
>>Sometimes I wake up with a slow pulse, low body temperature, and feel faint if I stand up too quickly.>>

It's not necessarily a good thing to have low blood pressure:

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-blood-pressure/basics/symptoms/con-20032298
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Fursty Ferret
>> >>Sometimes I wake up with a slow pulse, low body temperature, and feel faint if
>> I stand up too quickly.>>
>>
>> It's not necessarily a good thing to have low blood pressure:
>>
>> www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-blood-pressure/basics/symptoms/con-20032298
>>

Low blood pressure would imply fainting during normal activities; feeling lightheaded when standing up too quickly is perfectly normal provided you don't actually collapse.
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Stuartli
>>Low blood pressure would imply fainting during normal activities; feeling lightheaded when standing up too quickly is perfectly normal provided you don't actually collapse.>>

Not in the case of my late wife on a number of occasions....:-( :-(

Not much fun if you are OK lying down, woozy if sitting up and falling down if you stand up.

It took experience to adjust the existing blood pressure tablets dosage to sort out - that was by her usual doctor and not the bemused locum who turned up on a particular Saturday afternoon after what proved an unexpected problem.
 How fast your heart beats predicts if you will die - Roger.
My heartbeat is nearly always under 50 bpm. I think that is an effect of Amiodarone, which is why I'm only on 5 X 200mg tabs per week instead of 7, following a cardiologist's check up when we were in Spain.
Latest Forum Posts