Non-motoring > Phone repair - cracked screen Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 15

Phone repair - cracked screen - Focusless
Mrs F dropped her HTC 510 yesterday on our hard kitchen floor and cracked the screen, which now only works intermittently. Looks like it might be £80-£100 to repair based on
www.quickmobilefix.com/collections/htc-desire-510-repairs
and
www.geeksquad.co.uk/services/repairs/mobile-phone/htc/screen-repair

Alternatively you can get a 'LCD Display + Touch Screen Digitizer + Frame Replacement' for £20 on ebay, including a 'tool kit':
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Display-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Frame-Replacement-for-HTC-Desire-510-Black-/161882591234

Anyone fitted one of those?
 Phone repair - cracked screen - Manatee
I did an iPhone 4S one, very fiddly and I had to use a jewellers loupe to see the tiny screws properly. But do-able if you are patient and not too hamfisted. Not sure about the HTC, obviously.

You might find somebody local - daughter got her iPhone6 done for £45 IIRC in Cambridge.
 Phone repair - cracked screen - John Boy
Have you seen this?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXWSDeAN1Jw

It looks a lot easier than an iPhone 4S. I chickened out on that, but I'd give this one a go. I'd want to be saving at least 20 quid though.
 Phone repair - cracked screen - Manatee
I fitted an assembled LCD/digitiser that cost about £20 - no hairdryer needed.
 Phone repair - cracked screen - rtj70
Also useful info/instructions here:

www.ifixit.com/Guide/HTC+Desire+510+Touch+screen+Glass+and-or+LCD+Display/47355
 Phone repair - cracked screen - John Boy
>> Also useful info/instructions here:
>>
"Full screen is unavailable" on that video for me - I've not seen that before. Is everyone getting that?
>> Is everyone getting that?

I am, FWIW.

Thanks for that chaps; looks like DIY might be an option. Also investigating the insurance route - no excess, which makes it more of a possibility.
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 13:10
 Phone repair - cracked screen - No FM2R
It sounds like yours is thoroughly broken, but there are levels of damage to include one or more of glass, digitiser and LCD screen.

If its not black then the LCD screen is still working. If its cracked then the glass is cleared stuffed. The question is the digitiser. intermittent working doesn't sound good, you need to assess if that is because part of the digitiser is broken or some other reason.

Replacing all including the frame is pretty easy. Replacing the glass only is easy. Replacing the digitiser alone is not worth the effort vs. saving.

If you've ever built an airfix model, then you have the required skill levels.

You do have to be careful with non-OEM bits. The glass may not be as strong, the digitiser not as sensitive and the display not as refined. On the other hand they do represent a substantial saving.

I once bought a cheap screen for an S3. It was a mistake.
 Phone repair - cracked screen - smokie
Daughter broke an iPhone screen which I replaced easily for around £25. A week later she broke the new screen - it was cracked but still held in place, so I bought the £25 kit but there was no way I could get the cracked screen out (maybe I could have with some damage).

I broke my screen on the Xperia Z3 about a month after getting it. Sony repair was upwards of £220 (phone had cost £440+, no plan or insurance). So I found a local (Finchampstead) guy who did it for £90. But the screen had a couple of white blotches on it after a few weeks. I told him about them, and he agreed to replace FoC but in the meantime I cracked it again (I'm not normally careless!!). Anyway the replacement was made for v low cost but the new screen has now developed a couple of white spots. They really don't spoil anything but I guess that's what cheap screens do.

I did think that next time I'd have a go myself. He said about using a hairdryer to soften the glue, and make sure I use glue putting the new one on.

ISTR you are somewhere around Wokingham, let me know if you want his details.
Thanks Mark & smokie. Phone has been sent from EE shop to repairers to get an estimate to repair, which we can accept or decline; I'm guessing it's going to be about £100 based on the links in the OP. Easiest option might be to accept and claim on the insurance.

It's a bit of a sorry saga. Phone is less than a week old - lost its predecessor (HTC One Mini) in M40 services on the way up to Nottingham on Saturday, but Mrs F was thinking of replacing it anyway (out of contract), so bought the 510 in Nottingham later in the day, starting a new contract with her old number. It's a lesser phone really, but we didn't want to spend more than £20pm which limited our options. Mrs F was already having misgivings about its larger but lower res display, and it seemed unresponsive at times. She was going to go back to shop and discuss options anyway, then she dropped it on the tiled kitchen floor last night. Doh.

The One Mini has since turned up - chap had found it and rang Mrs F's dad to let him know, but we didn't get his message until we got home Saturday evening. Finder even refused payment to cover cost to send it, which contrasted somewhat with the stolen identity type scenarios we'd been dreaming up. So it could be worse :)
 Phone repair - cracked screen - CGNorwich
Is your phone covered under your household policy? Most exclude accidental damage to phones.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 16:08
 Phone repair - cracked screen - spamcan61
>> Is your phone covered under your household policy? Most exclude accidental damage to phones.
>>

I'd be trying a 25 quid repair rather than risk having my premium upped next year for sure.
It is covered, according to the helpful Together woman I spoke to on the phone this afternoon. But I didn't ask what a claim would do to my premium - will do before taking it further.
 Phone repair - cracked screen - Mapmaker
>> It is covered, according to the helpful Together woman I spoke to on the phone
>> this afternoon. But I didn't ask what a claim would do to my premium -
>> will do before taking it further.

Unfortunately, if you gave her your policy number you have already upped your premium for next year as you have proved yourself to be incompetent.
>> Phone has been sent from EE shop to repairers to get
>> an estimate to repair, which we can accept or decline; I'm guessing it's going to
>> be about £100 based on the links in the OP. Easiest option might be to
>> accept and claim on the insurance.

£68 - seems relatively reasonable. Will probably go for that, and not bother claiming.
 Phone repair - cracked screen - Stuartli
Autoglass? :-)
Latest Forum Posts