Non-motoring > Autumn statement Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 40

Autumn statement - Crankcase
So, having listened to St George do his thing, the end result in terms of direct impact on me, is nothing whatsoever one way or the other as far as I can tell.

How about you?
 Autumn statement - Roger.
We old gits have done well: OAP up by £3.35 per week.
 Autumn statement - Robin O'Reliant
No change for me.
 Autumn statement - legacylad
I don't think I can receive my State Pension until I'm 66. Fortunately, if I withdraw the full amount of my personal allowance each year from my half decent private pension it will last me till I'm 65, so no need to panic yet. I've already spent the 25% tax free lump sum. I've been driving around in it for six years. Hopefully I won't croak whilst there's still some money in the pot so I need to live another 5 years until it's all gone. Then either downsize and spend the released capital or find a rich woman. Fingers crossed!
 Autumn statement - Falkirk Bairn
>> We old gits have done well: OAP up by £3.35 per week.
>>
Don't let the "pay rise" go to your head blow it all away on a pint!
 Autumn statement - Stuartli
>>Don't let the "pay rise" go to your head blow it all away on a pint!>>

I'd still have 40p left towards the next pint of Guinness...:-)
 Autumn statement - bathtub tom
>> We old gits have done well: OAP up by £3.35 per week.

Wasn't that promised in the Spring budget? IIRC 2.9%.
 Autumn statement - Manatee
Had to turn it off, his tone makes me puke. And he'll be the next PM unless Boris sees him off, thanks to Labour's death wish.

I did hear something about help to buy, and £40,000 interest free loans to help people buy houses, "we are the builders!". How can these people be so thick as to think that will not make prices rise faster? They aren't of course - just self-serving, conceited, entitled, pragmatic, cynical and bent.
 Autumn statement - CGNorwich
"They aren't of course - just self-serving, conceited, entitled, pragmatic, cynical and bent."

Not keen then?
I missed out a few adjectives there including ambitious, pompous, insulting and patronising.

I was going to say that other than that he is OK, but he isn't.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 17:58
 Autumn statement - Stuartli
>>I was going to say that other than that he is OK, but he isn't.>>

But it's purely a personal opinion on your part, nothing more or less.
>> But it's purely a personal opinion on your part, nothing more or less.

And your opinion is?
 Autumn statement - Cliff Pope
>> How can these people be so thick as
>> to think that will not make prices rise faster?

Exactly.
If they really wanted to create more housing they would build thousands of state-owned houses and flats on unused city land and let them at subsidised rents only to people with jobs.
They need to undercut the housing market, not stoke it.
 Autumn statement - Ted

I've thought for some years now...why not put up prefabs on brownfield sites. I'm sure many young couples with, perhaps, one kiddie would jump at the chance of one with a fair rent. Then they could save towards something better. Folks who still live in them seem happy with their lot.

We had a huge prefab estate, complete with shops, on the fields opposite our house in the fifties. Some of my fellow pupils lived in them and I went in some of their homes many times.

They were cosy, had two bedrooms, lounge, bathroom and kitchen. Just add somewhere to park, a small garden with a shed and I'd fancy one meself !

Ease the market and give a quick boost to the building industry in one go.
 Autumn statement - CGNorwich
It's the land that costs the money. By the time you buy the land, build the infrastructure, roads, gas,water,mains drainage, electricity,phones etc and pay for prefabricated houses which have a limited lifespan it would be just as cheap to build permanent blocks of flats which use land far more efficiently.

Autumn statement - zippy
>> It's the land that costs the money. By the time you buy the land, build
>> the infrastructure, roads, gas,water,mains drainage, electricity,phones etc

Yes a three mile single carriageway road about two miles from my house is now 7 months late and £20 million over the original £100 million budget, so that is £40 million a mile for a single carriageway road. I remember when motorways were thought to be expensive at a million pounds a mile!

The road is a "link road" designed to link two towns - it is effectively opening up more building land and 2,000 houses have already got outline planning (though I never saw the council land put up for sale). There is also a small industrial estate, office buildings and a junior school. No new secondary school yet though (see my post a couple of months back where the local secondary academy has 90 pupils per class - along with proof from Ofsted).

The extra industrial units, school etc. come from a budget separate to the road's budget.
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 23:33
 Autumn statement - Duncan
>> We had a huge prefab estate, complete with shops, on the fields opposite our house
>> in the fifties. Some of my fellow pupils lived in them and I went in
>> some of their homes many times.
>>
>> They were cosy, had two bedrooms, lounge, bathroom and kitchen. Just add somewhere to >>park, a small garden with a shed and I'd fancy one meself !

They were only let to couples with two children of the same sex (so that they could share a bedroom). If you met a girl who lived in a prefab, you knew she had a sister.
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 26 Nov 15 at 06:23
 Autumn statement - Haywain
"They were cosy,"

No they weren't, they were freezing cold in winter

"Just add a small garden with a shed"

We were provided with an Anderson shelter that we used as a coal-house.

"They were only let to couples with two children of the same sex (so that they could share a bedroom). If you met a girl who lived in a prefab, you knew she had a sister. "

Whilst they may have only been let originally to couples with up to two children of the same sex, there is such a thing as reproduction. My sister and I are not of the same sex, and the Brewins along the row had 3 boys and 2 girls.

I know a bit about prefabs because I spent my first 16 years living in one.
 Autumn statement - Duncan
>> Whilst they may have only been let originally to couples with up to two children of the same >> sex, there is such a thing as reproduction. My sister and I are not of the same sex, and the >>Brewins along the row had 3 boys and 2 girls.
>>
>> I know a bit about prefabs because I spent my first 16 years living in one.
>>

Quite.

However, the structure was only intended to last for ten years. So, normally they would have been demolished and replaced while the original tenants were still living there.
 Autumn statement - WillDeBeest
...there is such a thing as reproduction. My sister and I are not of the same sex...

Yes, but that doesn't make it OK, even in East Anglia.
};---)

Knew lots of prefab-dwellers too at my primary school in the late 1970s. Many were children of visiting scientists at the research establishment nearby. (One was the New Zealander friend of my brother who first played me an ELO track.) The prefabs had been put up as temporary accommodation in the 1950s and were still there.
Just had a look on Google Maps; the roads they stood on - with eminently scientific names - are still there, but they are now lined with nothing but trees. Curious that the site hasn't been redeveloped.
 Autumn statement - Dog
Few of my regular customers in south and east London lived in prefabs, and loved them.

All gorn now I see ... pity about the traffic - it was bad enough in the '80's when I woz there:

www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4903193,-0.0762505,3a,75y,27.21h,69.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOS3cbn8asT7MJuPbCnszpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
"Yes, but that doesn't make it OK, even in East Anglia. "

Irrelevant - Leicestershire isn't in East Anglia ;-)
 Autumn statement - Alanovich
In Windsor after the war, the council built an estate of steel framed houses, which were meant only to be there for 10 years, after which they would be replaced with permanent brick-built houses. The steel houses are still there and sell for handsome sums on the private market now. Scroll halfway down this page for some piccies:

theroyalwindsorforum.yuku.com/topic/1153#.VlbcGr4nzIU

I'd imagine these houses were built because they were cheap and quick to construct. My Mum grew up in one and I spent a lot of time in it with my grandmother, and indeed lived in it on my own as an adult for a little while. It was always warm, and never felt like an inferior house or prefab in any way.

I wonder why the concept never took off, and why nobody builds them anymore? Their longevity and value is now beyond doubt. Some modernisation has occurred to make them more efficient/attractive.
"In Windsor after the war, the council built an estate of steel framed houses, which were meant only to be there for 10 years, after which they would be replaced with permanent brick-built houses."

Our prefab was demolished in 1966, having been built in '47 or'48. Classic 'Prefabs' were all detached but, at the entrance to the estate, there were half a dozen semi-detached Airey houses. They survived for a bit longer, but I'd have to consult my father to find out exactly how long they lasted.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airey_house

Autumn statement - Dog
Deez are more like the prefabs I remember in sowf lunden:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1061037/Saved-nation-South-London-prefab-estate-built-German-Italian-PoWs.html
 Autumn statement - zippy
I rent at the moment (because I am going through a divorce). It was a nice property but the landlord isn't undertaking any repairs and therefore I am moving out.

Mate and I had saved a fair sum each and were going to invest in some Buy To Let properties when the divorce comes through with the idea that we would be good landlords and start putting something towards our pensions.

The Chancellor has put the Kybosh on it somewhat with an end to tax relief on mortgages for individuals (but not on companies) and now the 3% surcharge in stamp duty.

I guess he is looking to limit mad price increases in the market that is somewhat generated by BTL landlords.

I also notice that trainee nurses and midwives will have to pay tuition fees at university - they were previously exempt. A friend has two wonderful daughters at university, one training to be a midwife and one training to be a nurse. The midwife finishes this year so will escape the fees. Not sure about the younger one though.

I do think that many potential candidates to these professions will apply knowing that there are potentially £50k of fees to pay off afterwards.
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 23:24
How can it be right that our spending on foreign aid is increasing when we still have homeless on UK streets?
Foreign aid will exceed money allocated to the Home Office for vital national services such as the police.
 Autumn statement - Dog
Nick Ferrari has been banging on about that BIG time this week on LBC Radio:

www.lbc.co.uk/ferrari-takes-apart-uks-foreign-aid-budget-120291
>> Nick Ferrari has been banging on about that BIG time this week on LBC Radio:

Ooo, Nick Ferrari. The intellectual colossus awakens.
 Autumn statement - sooty123
The either/or argument can be used for nearly anything. Why are we giving pensioners more money when there are homeless on the streets etc etc.
But that one doesn't involve furriners, sooty. If it involves furriners the correct answer is always 'ours first'. There are no shades, there are no complexities, there are no compromise positions, there are no vested interests, there are no global political necessities, there is no room for pragmatism, it's just black and white. Us against them.

Yours,
The Daily Express/Kipper
>> But that one doesn't involve furriners, sooty. If it involves furriners the correct answer is
>> always 'ours first'.

Nothing wrong with that.
>> >> But that one doesn't involve furriners, sooty. If it involves furriners the correct answer
>> is
>> >> always 'ours first'.
>>
>> Nothing wrong with that.
>>

Well done, you've managed to completely ignore the rest of post which neatly explains why it isn't always the case. Either you can't understand it or you don't want to understand it, either way it's a pretty poor outlook.

If you don't get that providing foreign aid is often a good way to look after our own I can't explain it to you.
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 26 Nov 15 at 13:54
 Autumn statement - madf
Car insurance premiums to fall..

George Osborne told MPs in the Autumn statement he “expects” insurers to pass on savings of £40 to £50 per motor insurance policy to consumers once the changes are in force from April 2017.

tinyurl.com/oshfl5b
 Autumn statement - Rudedog
Was there anythings about fuel costs? I thought I heard a question about whether the fuel escalator was going to be restarted.
 Autumn statement - neiltoo
It is, and the proceeds going to a fund for filling in potholes.
Where have I heard that before?
 Autumn statement - Mapmaker
>>How can it be right that our spending on foreign aid is increasing when we still have homeless on UK streets?

The vast majority of the homeless on UK streets are foreigners anyway. Surprised you care. Chum of mine went to the annual service at St Martin's in the Fields for the homeless who have died on the streets (of London?). Mostly Eastern Europeans.
 Autumn statement - smokie
I don't remember hearing that the fuel escalator was funding the pothole fund (which has existed for at least a year)
 Autumn statement - neiltoo
>>I don't remember hearing that the fuel escalator was funding the pothole fund (which has existed for at least a year)

Read it in Todays Telegraph, but I can't find it on the website.
 Autumn statement - No FM2R
>>Either you can't understand it

And you expected him to understand it?

I'm not sure what to think - whether he can't or doesn't want to understand. Hence my comment. I'm not expecting clarification, though. Not that it makes any difference.
Latest Forum Posts