Non-motoring > Black Friday purchases? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 62

Black Friday purchases? - Crankcase
Anyone buying anything specifically because of Black Friday? I poked about the Amazon and John Lewis sites but couldn't find anything I fancied or could justify.

I mentioned the vague idea of getting a new slightly larger tv over breakfast, as the one I would buy is about £150 off today at Amazon, but that met with stern disapproval in a second and a half flat, so that idea was abandoned. I don't think I put the business case effectively, largely because, well, er, there isn't one.

I should count myself jolly lucky of course there is nothing in the world I can think of today that I particularly want to buy.

So, who is supporting this great British American import of an idea?
 Black Friday purchases? - legacylad
Nearest I can get to a Black Friday purchase are some pork & black pudding sausages for lunch. In white bread with HP fruity sauce.
Don't need anything. All I want is some cold dry weather and you cannot buy that in the shops.
 Black Friday purchases? - R.P.
Keep well away - I need a haircut, will be popping into town shortly. Don't expect the hordes to descend on it. Schoolgirl error was to have the dogs booked in for hair-cuts.
 Black Friday purchases? - smokie
I had to go into town to colelct an M&S delivery and while there got SWMBO a pair of pyjams as a Xmas pressie, 30% off. That was unplanned. We're struggling with what to buy for pressies this year, more than ever, so practical it will be...
 Black Friday purchases? - madf
I bought £32 worth of beekeeping supplies which I wanted for next year but was waiting for a price reduction to buy..Saving £4...which is enough for a cheap bottle of plonk..

I will buy the rest of my supplies in the March sales... where I will spend approx £100 and save £70...

I'm mean I know..
 Black Friday purchases? - VxFan
Not a Black Friday deal, but just paid £4 for a Humax PVR 2000T that should have cost £149.

ok, I doubled up my club card vouchers (£72.50's worth = £145). The vouchers were only sitting there in the cupboard, and I would have eventually used them to pay for fuel had nothing else come along to use them on.

The old PVR (A Humax 9150T) has developed amnesia and keeps forgetting to record stuff. A common fault apparently once they reach a certain age.
 Black Friday purchases? - Zero
just seen a news report, the shops are empty because everyone signed on at midnight, bought the suff on line, went back to bed, and then will turn up to get it in their own sweet time.

Less of a damp squib, more of a backfiring banger. I predict "black friday" in the uk will be history.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 27 Nov 15 at 13:32
 Black Friday purchases? - henry k
>>Less of a damp squib, more of a backfiring banger. I predict "black friday" in the uk will be history.
>>
I have ignored it.

Some lunchtime coverage on the BBC
It is a disaster. It works in the USA but it is not a holiday here so problems straight away.
Retail outfits lost a lot of money last year.
Bad effects, lack of footfall & sales, in some cases carried on into February.
A poor response already this year.
Lots of indications that it is a dead duck.

since I posted
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34931837
Last edited by: henry k on Fri 27 Nov 15 at 14:01
 Black Friday purchases? - tyrednemotional
>>.... and while there got SWMBO a pair of pyjams as a Xmas pressie, 30% off.

...cheapskate. While you were out she nipped down to the Maserati dealer and bought you a Quattroporte at 30% off.

You'll be in trouble on Christmas Day!

(Just don't check the Credit Card statement before then)

;-)
 Black Friday purchases? - Falkirk Bairn
Just ben to Tesco for odds & ends - stream of 4/5 taking £99 32" Blaupunkt TVs - not the best make but if they work it is good value.
 Black Friday purchases? - Slidingpillar
None of the things so far I've seen on sale are any use for prezzys in my family. I did take advantage of a black Friday sale last year, but even then, not in the slightest prezzy orientated, a new horn for the vintage car.

The book I might buy will be bought once the dust settles next week.
 Black Friday purchases? - Ambo
An exciting purchase of a set of 6 pairs of boxer shorts from Amazon - £1 each, free delivery, equivalent to about 50% off.
You know, it's not often I regret starting a thread...

>> You know, it's not often I regret starting a thread...

we do :/
 Black Friday purchases? - Ted
Only purchase of the day was a hot chocolate after swimming this morning.. Sadly, the coffee machine hadn't heard about it being ' discount day '.

SWM had arranged, before she remembered about the day, to take eldest grandbrat to the Trafford Centre.........hell-hole that it is....to get his chrimbo pressie. She excused me driving them there and opted for the omnibus.........great !

On arrival back home...the trainers were found to be too tight and I was cajoled into driving them back to change them. Helltrip...raining, nearly dark and early rush hour with the schools coming out as well............Arghhh.

I hope this is the end of black friday...and they can take halloween back to the little ole USA as well for me !
>> Only purchase of the day was a hot chocolate after swimming this morning.. Sadly, the
>> coffee machine hadn't heard about it being ' discount day '.

It was Black Friday, the milk had run out.
 Black Friday purchases? - Roger.
My B.F buy - a pack of 8 Brita Maxtra filters for £16.50.
 Black Friday purchases? - Mike Hannon
French shops are doing 'Le Black Friday'. How pathetic is that?
I don't usually do Greenpeace but today they said 'if you don't need it, it isn't a bargain'.
Couldn't have put it better myself...
 Black Friday purchases? - Rudedog
I'm sure I heard a week ago that the company who brought BF to the UK (apparently is was ASDA according to them), has refused to participate in the offer this year, didn't catch the reason why, I guess that there must be a good business plan not to do it if all of your competitors are still at it.
 Black Friday purchases? - Clk Sec
I was hoping to get a Black Friday deal on a Dyson vacuum cleaner for The wife's birthday, but no such luck.
it would be a black day for me if I bought Mrs Z a dyson.
Drat. Forgot the smiley.
 Black Friday purchases? - Focusless
Got a free coffee from Waitrose.
Wot, no newspaper?
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 27 Nov 15 at 20:16
 Black Friday purchases? - Focusless
Need to spend money to get that :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 27 Nov 15 at 20:24
We were overnighting in London for last year's BF. Avoided the hoy poloy quite well really. Went to a few guitar shops and that. We'd booked the dogs in for grooming today (this was back in July) th etwo hour wait is usually spent in Llandudno. I was dreading it, but it was really quiet, shops deserted - we got some bedding that was needed at quite a good price. I needed some trousers got them in Next who weren't participating in the nonsense. Marks and Sparks had to be visited for some stuff to be exchanged - we got the dine in for a tenner thingy - surprisingly quiet.
 Black Friday purchases? - mikeyb
Picked up a few bits from Amazon - couple of books, some cosmetic gift sets and a few other xmas bits for the kids.

Also picked up a couple of Now TV box's from Tesco - they were knocking them out for £19 each including 4 months of movies. Paid for as part of their clubcard boost so only really cost me 9.50 in vouchers. As the subscription is a tenner a month its far cheaper to buy the box each time. 8 months of movies will see us through the year as we get bored and will take a break through the summer months
 Black Friday purchases? - Manatee
Bicester Village was as normal apparently, despite being open from 0700 to 0000.

Asda's decision to ignore it might be prophetic.
 Black Friday purchases? - Bobby
Was planning to get the missus perfume for Christmas, it was cheaper today so bought today.

Also took out an Amazon prime account for 30 day trial (have already cancelled it) and also got the missus PJ's from M&S with 30% off.

Looking to buy a new bike around Christmas, quite happy to wait till the sales but was keeping an eye out in case any of the ones I wanted dropped in price but they didn't.

And son's phone is kaput so was keeping an eye out for a good deal on an iphone 5s but there didn't seem to be any good deals.
 Black Friday purchases? - Fursty Ferret
Grabbed the last OLED TV from Richer Sounds (I say grabbed, it's been reserved to collect tomorrow).

Wanted one for ages, finally dropped to semi-affordable levels.
 Black Friday purchases? - WillDeBeest
Last time I looked (last week) OLED (not oiled, thank you, iOS) TVs were 50in plus and £1800 and upward. Too much for me, although the technology appeals, as does the slimness. But our seven-year-old (and seven-inch-thick on its bracket) 40in Sony will have to do for now.

I did price up an LG or Samsung as a slimmer replacement. Similar frontal dimensions, but half the thickness and 8kg in weight instead of 18. Made me think, did that.
 Black Friday purchases? - Dog
>>Last time I looked (last week) OLED (not oiled, thank you, iOS) TVs were 50in plus and £1800 and upward.

Serious question: What would an OLED TV do for me that my 4 year old 42" Pana plasma can't?
Reduce your electricity consumption for a start. My LCD set consumes 175W but plasma is much hungrier. A 52in LG OLED is 107W (according to John Lewis) and the 52in equivalent of mine is 222W.

They're also reckoned to be able to go truly black because they need no backlight, and to show fast motion better, without smearing or flickering. This bit is based on what I've read, not on any first-hand experience.
I don't really bother about energy consumption, not from watching TV anyway .. I'm the same with my 2.0 ltr auto petrol Scoob. Be different if I were clocking up the miles of course.

>>They're also reckoned to be able to go truly black because they need no backlight, and to show fast motion better, without smearing or flickering. This bit is based on what I've read, not on any first-hand experience.

Best stick with my plasma Pana then :)
...apart from lack of motion-blur, what plasma is very much better at (and why I bought one of the last Panasonic models) is a wide watchable angle (much more so than LED/LCD or OLED).

Quite important in the layout we have for our lounge with the TV along the longer wall.

Plasma vs LED etc - Slidingpillar
Unless viewing angle is a factor, the thing that plasma did better than LED when I last looked into it, is contrast ratio. The only programme/DVD I've found my Sony Bravia lacking on is 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' as there are a lot of very dark scenes it.

However, most sets I've seen are appallingly set up. Colour turned up far too high, and often the pictures are excessively enlarged too. Took me a while to trudge through the display options with mine and get it looking as it should. (The news is often your friend, studio cameras stay in the studio, so remain well set up and skin tones are the things to use).
>> >>Last time I looked (last week) OLED (not oiled, thank you, iOS) TVs were 50in
>> plus and £1800 and upward.
>>
>> Serious question: What would an OLED TV do for me that my 4 year old
>> 42" Pana plasma can't?
>>

£1399 at Richer Sounds for 55 inch model.
 Black Friday purchases? - rtj70
OLED is probably the 'new Plasma' in so much it does not need a backlight so you get deep blacks. Uses less power too of course.

If these were both Full HD... maybe not much point changing apart from a bigger TV. Tesco had Samsung 4K TVs on sale this weekend at less than £400 (40" ones). I doubt you need 4K resolution on a 4K TV.... and I doubt I notice QHD on my 5.1" phone.
 Black Friday purchases? - smokie
Nothing much is broadcast at 4k is it?
Depends what you mean by 'broadcast'. Netflix offers 'Ultra HD' in 4K, and others like Amazon (which is already available in the US) will follow. Much depends on your network connection, though: you'll need a consistent 20Mb/s as a minimum.

>> Much depends on your network
>> connection, though: you'll need a consistent 20Mb/s as a minimum.

in theory. In practise 4k streaming is hit and miss. 4K is currently like 3D a lot of hype to make you churn equipment. Unlike 3D however it will be useful and take off.

3D TV - jeez whoever thought that was a good idea.
 Black Friday purchases? - Roger.

>> jeez whoever thought that was a good idea. >>

Our Samsung has 3 D . Waste of space - used once for a DVD.
 Black Friday purchases? - Stuartli
>>Nothing much is broadcast at 4k is it?>>

Don't forget BT's Ultra Sports Channel:

www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/ultra-hd/

Not a lot shown yet, but give it time...:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 29 Nov 15 at 13:18
>>£1399 at Richer Sounds for 55 inch model.

Not too many years ago I would have been averse to the idea of a 50" + TV but, having had a 42 incher for 4 years I'm okay with the idea now, except in my case, due to living in an 18th century cottage with low beamed ceilings.
[Not dipped beams]

Next port of call = Rightmove :)
When I was poking about at TVs last week I stumbled over one at the cheaper end that is sold as a 4k and has the Netflix app, but according to an Amazon review doesn't actually support Netflix 4k at the minute. "Soon, no date confirmed". It's a minefield.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 29 Nov 15 at 09:43
at the minute. "Soon, no date
>> confirmed". It's a minefield.

Just like the early days of HD. It does not pay to be an early adopter of TV technology, and it never has

>> Just like the early days of HD. It does not pay to be an early
>> adopter of TV technology, and it never has

Spot on, in terms of both functionality and cost. Works for me. I usually spend so long thinking about it that the price drops by 25% before I buy.

There's rarely such a thing as an unmissable bargain with technology.
>> at the minute. "Soon, no date
>> >> confirmed". It's a minefield.
>>
>>
>> Just like the early days of HD. It does not pay to be an early
>> adopter of TV technology, and it never has
>>

Indeed. OLED is a quarter the price it was two years ago. Samsung's SUHD can give it a run for its money in terms of colour accuracy, but in viewing angles and black levels LCD is left for dust.

Also, Samsung seems slightly sleazy now and rumour has it that they fiddled their energy rating scores by having the TV detect the test clip and switch to Eco mode.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Sun 29 Nov 15 at 17:25

>> Also, Samsung seems slightly sleazy now and rumour has it that they fiddled their energy
>> rating scores by having the TV detect the test clip and switch to Eco mode.

I had a Thompson TV like that, as soon as it detected any picture it would switch off.
 Black Friday purchases? - Duncan
You could always save up and buy her a mangle for Christmas.

That should go down well.
You don't need to save up much. There's a mangle in my local second hand shop. Shall I find out the price?
>> You don't need to save up much. There's a mangle in my local second hand
>> shop. Shall I find out the price?
>>

...it'll be expensive - that's new technology up North!

;-)
True indeed. Plenty of washer women down on the Ribble yesterday. The weir seems to be the place to go to catch up on the local gossip, unless we pay dobbie wallahs from Lancashire.
>> .....unless we pay dobbie wallahs from Lancashire.
>>

...do they bring their own dolly tubs?
The iMangle is the future.
>> The iMangle is the future.
>>

followed by the iRon?
 Black Friday purchases? - Bromptonaut
Several colleagues yesterday blaming Black Friday for the traffic. It was indeed truly horrible when I left the office at 19:00. A mile of road that usually takes 3-4 minutes was solid and took 20.

Not Black Friday though. Combination of rain and Friday night rugby with 19:45KO at Franklin's Gardens (Saints 15 Gloucester 3).
>> You could always save up and buy her a mangle for Christmas.
>>
>> That should go down well.
>>

Or a bucket on a length of rope.....that would go down well ! Geddit ?

I chuckled anyway !
:-)
>> You could always save up and buy her a mangle for Christmas.
>>
>> That should go down well.
>>
At a pinch
You're on a roll

You're squeezing the last drop out of this joke !
 Black Friday purchases? - Robin O'Reliant
She'd wring his neck.
Latest Forum Posts