Non-motoring > Disabling a drone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 25

Disabling a drone - Ambo
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12022429/Toddler-loses-eye-after-drone-propeller-sliced-through-it.html

I'm surprised there have not been more accidents of this type. The drone in question was operated by a friend of the family but, in general, I wonder what the legal position is regarding the disabling of one which is coming dangerously close?
 Disabling a drone - Old Navy
A shotgun works, or if it is close enough a baseball or golf bat.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 30 Nov 15 at 16:45
 Disabling a drone - NortonES2
Lacrosse stick? Hair spray?
 Disabling a drone - CGNorwich
Since a drone flying at low level over your land would be trespassing on your property then the normal laws of trespass would apply and you could claim damages or seek an injunction to stop overflying.

Destruction of the drone would be akin to destroying a vehicle trespassing on your land and would not be legally justifiable although I would think that mitigating the risk of injury or damage to your property would be looked upon favourably if the owner of the drone attempted to sue.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 30 Nov 15 at 17:37
 Disabling a drone - Old Navy
If it is close enough for a golf club it is a threat to my safety, self defence?
 Disabling a drone - madf

Owner will need witnesses to prove you shot it.

So shoot any witnesses as well. :-)
 Disabling a drone - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Destruction of the drone would be akin to destroying a vehicle trespassing on your land
>>
>>

Or like shooting down a jet if it strayed into your airspace?
 Disabling a drone - R.P.
There will be Case Law. Lawful Authority and Reasonable Excuse are built into the Criminal Damage Act. I, personally, would have no qualms in downing a drone over my property if I had the capability and fall back on the Reasonable Excuse
 Disabling a drone - Zero

>> Or like shooting down a jet if it strayed into your airspace?

You don't have any airspace, the space above you is not yours. Well not all of it anyway.
 Disabling a drone - CGNorwich
Yes above w certain height you have no claim to airspace. There have however been successful cases of suing for trespass the pilots of very low flying helicopters.

Trespass is of course only a breach of th civil law.

Disabling a drone - Cliff Pope
>> Yes above w certain height you have no claim to airspace.

"The common law distinguishes between two different types of airspace. The lower and Upper stratum.

The lower stratum is concerned with the portion immediately above the land and interference with this air space would effect the landowner’s reasonable enjoyment of the land and the structures upon it.

Wrongful intrusions include; Overhanging branches of a neighbours trees and plants or projecting eaves or advertising signs and Booms of cranes being used for construction work on neighbouring land.

The Higher Stratum is something which exists above the height which is reasonably acceptable and necessary for the ordinary use and enjoyment of the land by it’s owner. The landowner has no greater rights to this airspace than any other member of the public.

S. 76 Civil Aviation Act 1982 states that ‘the lower stratum is unlikely to extend beyond an altitude of much more than 500 or 1,000 feet above roof level, this being roughly the minimum permissible distance for normal overflying by any aircraft’ (Rules of the Air Regulations 2007, Sch 1, s. 3(5)). "

Disabling a drone - MD
You do talk Turkey.
 Disabling a drone - Manatee
I believe a number of people have been hit, some at sporting events where 'drones' have been used as camera platforms.

But that was an especially nasty one, as I commented when Bobby posted this story in the Amazon thread.

I don't see why they shouldn't all have tip guards like the Parrot one in the second link.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=21214&m=467798
 Disabling a drone - No FM2R
When I was a kid we used to "recover" [often still in play] golf balls and resell them to the pro-shop.

Were I a child today I feel sure that "recovering" one of these drones would be fairly high on my priority and activity list.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 30 Nov 15 at 18:57
 Disabling a drone - Robin O'Reliant
>> When I was a kid we used to "recover" [often still in play] golf balls
>> and resell them to the pro-shop.
>>
>>
We used to do that at Wanstead Golf Club. Running from the bushes in the adjacent Wanstead Park it was a short run to where most of the balls landed on one particular fairway. Our little escapade came to an end when one well built and very angry golfer chased us not only through the park but half way across nearby Wanstead Flats before giving up. Those who know the area will appreciate that is quite some distance.
 Disabling a drone - MD
I'm GRINNING at this. Marvelarse. Can picture it now.
 Disabling a drone - sherlock47
At a local course there was a blind green on a par3, with bushes nearby. A number of golfers who celebrated their 'holes in one' never really understood until the barman twigged tha a disproportionate number of celebrations were taking place at the 19th hole.
 Disabling a drone - smokie
I know it well RR, as a lad I used to caddy at Wanstead golf course, quite lucrative. A chase from there to the park to the flats was a fair old distance though...
 Disabling a drone that just missed me. - henry k
>> I believe a number of people have been hit,....
>>
I have just had a very close miss by about two feet.
Minding my own business walking to the shops when a small drone crashed on the pavement by my two feet. It must have just dropped out of the air.
It was white, about 12 inches across with some flashing LEDS.
I did not hear anything so maybe it had auto shut off power ( out of range)?
I switched it off and was en route to advertise it in the local shops .
A little later a young lad appeared looking worried.
" I am so sorry , my Dad does not how to fly it.!"
The landing site was at least 100 yards from the house the lad came from and I assume it was being operated in the back garden.
I consider my self lucky so I have bought a Lotto ticket :-)
 Disabling a drone that just missed me. - Mike H
Marcel Hirscher, the current FIS Ski world champion was nearly hit by a drone yesterday in a slalom race, which crashed just behind into the track he'd been on. Dangerous things!
 Disabling a drone that just missed me. - Ian (Cape Town)
see thread 'droning in the US'.

Speculation is that it passed through a microwave link - ie TV sat uplink -which will cause it to plummet.
 Disabling a drone that just missed me. - Zero
>> see thread 'droning in the US'.
>>
>> Speculation is that it passed through a microwave link - ie TV sat uplink -which
>> will cause it to plummet.

The link must have cut it in half, as it looked to be falling in pieces before it hit the ground. Where it ended up in more pieces.
 Disabling a drone that just missed me. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/35164700

It lookind OK till it met the piste
 Disabling a drone that just missed me. - Zero
looks like its got bits trailing off it to me, and its clearly an uncontrolled descent not slowed in any way. Drones are designed to fall to earth in a controlled manner if control is lost.
 Disabling a drone that just missed me. - Old Navy
>> Drones are designed to fall to earth in a controlled manner if control is lost.
>>

That one needs a redesign then.
 Disabling a drone that just missed me. - Fursty Ferret
>> looks like its got bits trailing off it to me, and its clearly an uncontrolled
>> descent not slowed in any way. Drones are designed to fall to earth in a
>> controlled manner if control is lost.
>>

More likely it hit another drone which crashed elsewhere, or an overhead cable.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Wed 23 Dec 15 at 20:08
Latest Forum Posts