Non-motoring > The perks of being old... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 140

The perks of being old... - smokie
I became 60 last week. SWMBO was also 60 yesterday so just cos we can, we went to the local and had the Senior menu for lunch. Aren't the portions small? She was a bit tee'd off that we weren't ID's, as we don't think we look 60... :-)

So I know about B&Q on Wednesdays, free prescriptions, and probably cheap haircuts if I want to 'fess my age to my cute hairdresser! :-)

Anything else useful that I'm missing out on?
 The perks of being old... - Manatee
You can get yourself a senior railcard.

And if you ask them, and if you have been members for at least 5 of the last 10 years, you can have senior membership of the National Trust.
 The perks of being old... - No FM2R
You can do what I'm doing right now, sit on Youtube playing hits from the 60s and early 70s.

May I suggest the following search term...

"60s one hit wonders"
Not sure I' d use a railcard much at the moment, I'm not working but SWMBO is. I#'ll look into them but they aren't free are they?

I forgot the NHS "birthday card" - within a couple of days of my b'day I had a letter saying I am now eligible for bowel cancer screening every 2 years and they'll be sending me a pot for a sample. Not sure if I send it them back ot take it to the doc. For some reason made me think of of sending clotted cream to parents from Cornish holidays... :-)

EDIT: I joined the gym in March and have already talked to them to get onto the 60+ scheme as it's half price. I'd forgotten that. Not a big cinema goer but I'll bear that in mind too.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 1 Dec 15 at 23:54
 The perks of being old... - bathtub tom
>> I am now eligible for bowel cancer screening every 2 years and they'll be sending me a pot for a sample. Not sure if I send it them back ot take it to the doc.

The old 'pop-a-poo-in-the-post' job. Not a pot, but a card you scrape it on. You'll soon find out.

I'm off to Beaulieu tomorrow. They give a concession, £23 instead of £24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 The perks of being old... - Alanovich
>> I'm off to Beaulieu tomorrow. They give a concession, £23 instead of £24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>

Bit like the panto at The Hexagon - 25 sheets for adults, 24 for children. Wowee.
 The perks of being old... - Zero
Just been to the pictures. I pre booked, got two seniors seats for £6.50 rather than £9.50 each and they waive the £4 booking fee. Now that is a considerable saving in anyones books. And Mrs Z is not yet 60.
 The perks of being old... - legacylad
Rail cards. Friends tell me that you get a third off. Costs about £70 for 3 years when bought online.
Cheap cinema entrance. My old friends got discount when looking round the Britannia at Leith last month.
Drive off without paying for petrol. If caught just say you are old and forgot.
My gym gives reduced membership fees for 60+
You get free prescriptions now I think.

The winter fuel allowance.
Oh, and discounts at the Odeons.
I don't think you do get winter fuel allowance at 60. Could be wrong though.
Don't you?

Oh no, you're right. It goes with pensionable age.
 The perks of being old... - Mike H
>> Don't you?
>>
>> Oh no, you're right. It goes with pensionable age.
>>
Not true. According to the gov.UK website, it is age related. At least, that's how I read it.
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/older-people/benefits-for-older-people/#winter_fuel_payments

"Who can get a Winter Fuel Payment

If you're a woman, you can claim a Winter Fuel Payment when you reach State Pension age. You must be State Pension age in the qualifying week for the winter concerned. The qualifying week always begins on the third Monday of September.

If you're a man, you can claim a Winter Fuel Payment when you reach the State Pension age of a woman born on the same day as you. You must be this age in the qualifying week for the winter concerned.

To qualify for a Winter Fuel Payment for the winter of 2015/2016 you must have been born on or before 5 January 1953."
 The perks of being old... - tyrednemotional
...same arrangement as the bus pass...
www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/eligibility

No mention of pension here, just age. State pension receipt is an automatic entitlement, but you can still claim if you meet the age criteria:

www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/overview
Last edited by: Mike H on Wed 2 Dec 15 at 20:10

>>
>> No mention of pension here, just age.

...but that is because that particular page has been crafted for *this year's* payments. The dates defined are those that result from being at Womens' Pension age at the qualifying point.

The age-related qualification for both men and women is aligned with (womens') pensionable age, just like the bus pass (and means that men may qualify for either/both before they qualify for a pension). I am a case in point.

See the appropriate text here:

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/older-people/benefits-for-older-people/#h-winter-fuel-payment-1
As you wish. You seem to be agreeing with me but want to put a different spin on it.
...well, I agree with you that there is no mention of state pension age on the link that you posted, so you are correct (but that lack of mention is for the reason I stated).

..but since you posted this in response to a post that clarified (correctly) that the age qualification for men and women was aligned with the womens' pension age, then I don't agree with the inference that the (womens') pension age is irrelevant, it is absolutely central to the (age) qualification.

The bus pass arrangements are the same.

So, spin or whatever, I think we disagree.

;-)
Not so. The point is that it is NOT dependent on being in receipt of the State Pension, it is dependent on age. You don't have to take the state pension when you are eligible, you can defer it (as my wife did inadvertantly), but you can still take the fuel allowance as long as you meet the age criteria.
...about which we are not arguing (or at least I'm not :-( ).

I am not yet eligible for the state pension, but I am eligible for the WFP. (though it isn't worth me claiming it, since it will reduce my wife's payment by exactly the amount of my claim).

The age at which you can claim it, (man or woman) is however, the state pension age for women (which is an age related moving target, and exactly what NOFM2R posted in the original post you responded to).

I fear we are at cross purposes.
>> I fear we are at cross purposes.
>>
So do I, having re-read the posts! Sorry if I came across a little bolshie, it's just that there is a commonly-held misconception that you have to be actually drawing the state pension to get winter fuel payments, and I wasn't sure at the time whether we were on the same wavelength, which it seems we are, and I'm happy to apologise :-)
>>The point is that it is NOT dependent on being in receipt of the State Pension

No, but it is dependent, as I believe I said, on "pensionable age". This is relevant because as pensionable age changes, so does the fuel allowance eligibility.

Doesn't seem a very important point though.
Reduced fee CAMRA membership.
As my older friends tell me after their sixth pint.
Free Spoons beer vouchers.. Covers the cost of membership, and if you don't want them please let me, or Zeddo, have them.
 The perks of being old... - Duncan
>> Free Spoons beer vouchers.. Covers the cost of membership, and if you don't want them
>> please let me, or Zeddo, have them.

He won't go into W'spoons, will he? Give 'em to me!

I haven't been into a 'spoons since last night. Tuesday Steak Club, £7.59 for an 8oz sirloin steak, with chips, peas, mushroom, tomato and a pint of your choice. How bad's that!

>> I haven't been into a 'spoons since last night. Tuesday Steak Club, £7.59 for an
>> 8oz sirloin steak, with chips, peas, mushroom, tomato and a pint of your choice. How
>> bad's that!

How bad can your steak get, you tell me. If their curry or burger is anything to go by, very bad indeed.
>> How bad can your steak get, you tell me. If their curry or burger is
>> anything to go by, very bad indeed.

If things in 'spoons are as bad as you always claim, you will soon have to stop going in there!
>> >> How bad can your steak get, you tell me. If their curry or burger
>> is
>> >> anything to go by, very bad indeed.
>>
>> If things in 'spoons are as bad as you always claim, you will soon have
>> to stop going in there!

I have, you no risten.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 2 Dec 15 at 23:09
The link from Wetherspoons to CAMRA to get the vouchers is broken. I might report it... if I can be bothered...
 The perks of being old... - PhilW
"Rail cards. Friends tell me that you get a third off. Costs about £70 for 3 years when bought online."
Yep - or £30 for a one year one. Sometimes it is worth buying a one year one for a single trip. Brother in law is going from Merseyside to London for New Year with wife. He saved more than cost of railcard on that single trip.
Wife and I are going from E Mids to London in Dec and returning in Jan using railcard.
Depending on train and whether booked in advance could be up to £250! First Class cheapest £261 and up to £400!! Without railcard.
Got 1st Class Return (at right times ) for £102 for the two of us! Bargain???
>> Wife and I are going from E Mids to London in Dec and returning in
>> Jan using railcard.
>> Depending on train and whether booked in advance could be up to £250! First Class
>> cheapest £261 and up to £400!! Without railcard.
>> Got 1st Class Return (at right times ) for £102 for the two of us!
>> Bargain???

Possibly. Do you use thetrainline.com?

Tickets from Derby to St. Pancras:-

tinyurl.com/qhlxgrq
 The perks of being old... - Focusless
>> Possibly. Do you use thetrainline.com?

FWIW the GWR (nee FGW) site doesn't charge a booking fee, or for posting your tickets if you don't want to print them yourself. And they give Nectar points.
www.gwr.com/
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 3 Dec 15 at 07:56
>> FWIW the GWR (nee FGW) site doesn't charge a booking fee, or for posting your tickets if you >> don't want to print them yourself. And they give Nectar points.
>> www.gwr.com/

Yes, possibly so, but I don't know where the East Midlands is, so I took a chance that The East Midlands Airport (what a catchy name) might be in the East Midlands.

Any road up. Are your tickets cheaper than mine, or are mine cheaper than yours?

;-0
 The perks of being old... - Bromptonaut
London Midland don't charge a booking fee either and ticket on departure where you print them from the self service machine on the station is a cinch. Never failed me yet though in practice I often collect in advance as I pass the station going to/from work.
>> London Midland don't charge a booking fee either and ticket on departure where you print
>> them from the self service machine on the station is a cinch. Never failed me
>> yet though in practice I often collect in advance as I pass the station going
>> to/from work.

I like getting the tickets in advance, saves any hassle with queues, broken machines etc. on the day. But last time was a pain. I booked the boss some tickets from Berkhamsted, tried to pick up from Tring, machine bust. Cheddington, machine bust. Berko on the day, machine bust, so she travelled with no tickets. The ticket office at Euston printed them for her.

Virgin trains don't charge a booking fee either.
>> Yes, possibly so, but I don't know where the East Midlands is, so I took
>> a chance that The East Midlands Airport (what a catchy name) might be in the
>> East Midlands.

Sorry Duncan, it's a bit early and I don't get that - what's the location of the East Midlands got to do with it?

>> Any road up. Are your tickets cheaper than mine, or are mine cheaper than yours?
>>
>> ;-0

Face thing noted, but to check my understanding, I believe all the ticket selling websites use the same database, so one shouldn't be cheaper than the other?
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 3 Dec 15 at 08:56

>> Face thing noted, but to check my understanding, I believe all the ticket selling websites
>> use the same database, so one shouldn't be cheaper than the other?

they do, BUT they can take out local discounts, and fares vary depending on which end you start.
>> BUT they can take out local discounts

Of course - I've just had a month of (relatively) cheap commuting because GWR had a £10 singles promotion. It would have been 2 months if they hadn't announced the promotion just after I'd already bought my (non-refundable) advance tickets for the first month :(
 The perks of being old... - Haywain
"they do, BUT they can take out local discounts, and fares vary depending on which end you start."

On the very rare occasions when my wife and I use the train, we have invariably found that we can find the best deals by going into town and enquiring at our local ticket office rather than use any of the websites.
>> Sorry Duncan, it's a bit early and I don't get that - what's the location
>> of the East Midlands got to do with it?

Sorry for any confusion. I should have been replying to PhilW's post @18.05 on Wednesday. He mentioned East Midlands to London and then I replied to your post.

Harumph. Or something.
:)
" I should have been replying to PhilW's post @18.05 on Wednesday. He mentioned East Midlands to London"
Oops, sorry Duncan, didn't see your post - yes some of your prices are cheaper but not at the times we need to travel!
 The perks of being old... - Stuartli
Those of us who live in the Merseytravel (Merseyside) area (it's a government body) get free bus, train (including mainline when appropriate) and ferries travel from 9-30am onwards. Those who are disabled are entitled to use the services without time restrictions.

It's been this way for at least 20 years and the aim is to constantly refine, upgrade and support local travel services, including the Mersey road and rail tunnels.

www.merseytravel.gov.uk/Pages/Welcome.aspx
 The perks of being old... - VxFan
>> Anything else useful that I'm missing out on?

I was going to say free bus pass, but it looks like you'll have to wait another 6 years (unless you're in Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland)

www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

Free eye tests.

25% off glasses at Specsavers from Monday to Friday, on selected ranges.
www.specsavers.co.uk/offers/over-60s
>>
>> I was going to say free bus pass, but it looks like you'll have to
>> wait another 6 years (unless you're in Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland)
>>
>> www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

60 for free travel in London, if you live in London.
We have a 'Spoons in Wokingham so I'll sign up for that. Sounds better value than my local was on the Senior menu! Also will look at CAMRA as I'm into ale again (as opposed to lager) - but whether I'd get enough opportunities to use it is another matter, and is out of my hands!!

Fuel allowance and free bus passes are at retirement age (66). Eye tests are handy, though I think I've not paid for one for some years by taking advantage of offers from the likes of Tesco when they arise.
 The perks of being old... - Dog
The ole heating is quite good. SWMBO got 200 notes this year which came in handy as I needed a new mini hi fi.
Being delivered today from Richer Sounds = best price by far!
...I hope it puts out enough watts to warm up the house a bit.

A surprising number of Concert venues offer cut-price deals for "Seniors", but then obscure the qualifying age.

Bridgewater Hall in Mcr was one such; I took a punt on it, but finally discovered the it *is* 60 plus (not 65).
Has anyone ever been challenged when buying a senior ticket for anything, if so what proof of age did you use? I'm not about to start carrying my passport just to save a few quid...!!!
For the national concessionary fares scheme Smokie will get free travel form the date a woman born on same day would reach pension age:

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/transport/transport/public-transport/concessionary-fares-for-public-transport/concessionary-fares-for-older-passengers-in-england/

Local schemes (eg London) and concessions for entertainment venues may vary.
The bus pass age is that of the SP age for a woman for a given DoB. My SP age is 65, but my bus pass qualifying age will be 63 years, 5 months, 11 days.

Less than a year to go!

(if spared).
 The perks of being old... - Cliff Pope

>> Less than a year to go!
>>

First rule for a long life - never start counting down. Count up. :)
 The perks of being old... - CGNorwich
You qualify for the Age UK funeral plan.

www.ageuk.org.uk/products/financial-products-and-services/funeral-plan/
 The perks of being old... - madf
10% off B&Q Wed over 65..

Cheap gym membership.
Cheap haircuts - local barber £5.50. (not often required:-(

The perks of being old... - Clk Sec
>> Cheap haircuts - local barber £5.50. (not often required:-(
>>

Even cheaper haircuts - local barber £0.00. (frequently required:-)
>> 10% off B&Q Wed over 65..
>>
.......Over 60 actually....
 The perks of being old... - wokingham
I have never quite "got" funeral plans. Almost Anybody who owns a house has an estate running into 6 figures. They used to use some faded TV star driving around in an E type in a TV advert too.If my children want my £200000 house they can give me a cheap funeral! You can be cremated in any container which is rigid and combustible, fibreboard will do. www.everplans.com/articles/all-you-need-to-know-about-cremation-caskets
That's an American page. A UK one I found says

"Crematorium regulations require that the coffin and all its fittings and furnishings be made from materials suitable for cremation. This is not only from a safety point of view, but with increased legislation trying to cut crematoriums emissions, it is also an environmental one.

Although most types of coffin are actually suitable for cremation, some are certainly more environmentally friendly than others. This has lead to one local council in West Yorkshire to require that shrouds should be used instead of coffins. (Click here for more information on shrouds).

Another alternative, which is a relatively recent innovation, that can save money and reduce emissions from cremation is by using a “coffin cover”. This superficial traditional looking casing, fits over the top of a cardboard coffin during the funeral service, but is removed (to be used another day), leaving only the cardboard coffin to enter the cremator."
 The perks of being old... - WillDeBeest

Although most types of coffin are actually suitable for cremation...This has lead...

...Presumably not a material suitable for cremation.
};---)

I'm wondering if your forum name implies some insider knowledge here.
Haha - the whole thing was a quote from a website, I omitted the quotes which would have shown it.

Stopped the fags nearly a year ago now... :-) Probably 20 years too later to really benefit, but I am no longer coughing like I was.
"a cardboard coffin"
Sounds reasonable to me - only going into a furnace anyway.
And I'm not sure I would be in a position to object even if I wanted to!
>> the cardboard coffin

Let's hope it doesn't rain, else the box will go soggy and the occupant might fall out the bottom when it's picked up.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 2 Dec 15 at 18:49
"I have never quite "got" funeral plans. Almost Anybody who owns a house has an estate running into 6 figures. "

True but you are betraying your middle-class view-point there I think. There is a large proportion of the population who don't own houses and have little in the way of assets and it is a source of worry to some people that the cost of the funeral will descend on members of the family who are themselves struggling.
There's always:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10584884/Paupers-funerals-making-comeback-as-families-exploit-loophole-to-save-funeral-costs.html

This was in reply to CG/N @ 17:25pm
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 2 Dec 15 at 17:43
 The perks of being old... - Armel Coussine
We are far from poor, but my late mother-in-law specified a cardboard coffin for herself.

Can't remember whether she was buried or cremated. Obviously cardboard would be better for cremations.
 The perks of being old... - Armel Coussine
>> Can't remember whether she was buried or cremated

Buried. Rather thought so, but wasn't certain. It was a good few years ago.

Although from a Catholic family, she was an intellectual woman and an atheist. She was planted near her husband in a local cemetery.
Some handy info. if you fancy a back garden funeral.

funeralhelper.org/garden-burial.html
>>Some handy info. if you fancy a back garden funeral.

Had a practice run this year with my four-legged friend. Now ready for any two-legs bad cadavers.
 The perks of being old... - Roger.
I think I may have mentioned it before but we have both, on economic grounds, donated our bodies for scientific research and/or medical training. Must be accepted by the receiving institution - in our case Sheffield teaching hospitals.
Free collection and disposal.
Solved!
>>Free collection and disposal.
Solved!

They were talking about this on Radio Cornwall this week. It was stated that there is a £500 charge for disposal of the remains after the medicos have had a good fiddle about wivvit.
 The perks of being old... - Dutchie
I'm that skinny now no good having me for medical purposes.All bones maybe just good enough for a dog to chew on.
>>All bones maybe just good enough for a dog to chew on

Send 'em down here for my two dogs guv'nor.
"on economic grounds, donated our bodies for scientific research"

I know you like to save a few bob Roger and shopping in Lidl is one thing but having your wife dissected is certainly original.

Any more tips?
>> "on economic grounds, donated our bodies for scientific research"
>>
>> I know you like to save a few bob Roger and shopping in Lidl is
>> one thing but having your wife dissected is certainly original.
>>
>> Any more tips?

Not just her - me too.
Trust you to get a two for one deal. :-)
>> "on economic grounds, donated our bodies for scientific research"
>>
>> I know you like to save a few bob Roger and shopping in Lidl is
>> one thing but having your wife dissected is certainly original.
>>
>> Any more tips?
>>
>>

Too late. He's gorn.
A mate I used to work with had his wife buried in the backgarden.

When he moved he had to dig her up again if I remember.
>>A mate I used to work with had his wife buried in the backgarden.

Howl many years did he get Dutchie?
 The perks of being old... - Skip
>> A mate I used to work with had his wife buried in the back garden.
>>

Its a tempting thought at times !!!!!!!!
>> >> A mate I used to work with had his wife buried in the back
>> garden.
>> >>
>>
>> Its a tempting thought at times !!!!!!!!
>>

... I wouldn't want his wife buried in my back garden!

;-)
There's another Telegraph gem in Dog's link:

...as death rates rise because of Britain's ageing population.
 The perks of being old... - Alastairw
I bet all these perks will have been abolished by the time I'm old enough to qualify. I'll just continue to pay for them for the time being :(

"I bet all these perks will have been abolished by the time I'm old enough to qualify. I'll just continue to pay for them for the time being :("

If you can make me 20 years younger I will happily provide you with a bus pass for life and free pensioners meals down the pub.
I'm not 'old' , just taking a year out. The best perk is being physically able to do most things and go away almost at the drop of a hat. No job responsibility see. Just booked a flight with Jet2 to Tenneriffy next Tuesday, back on 22nd. Sadly no flights on 23/24. £94 return, at sociable hours for an old bloke.
Just time to unpack, see the oldies, then sod off again abroad. A week on the slippery stuff before even more fun n games in Spain.
Same here you can keep all the perks.There is a Dutch narrative .(Ouderdom komt met gebreken)

Spending my time with the granddaughter is one of the big perks.I have a lot more patience with her than my three grown up children.
>> This was in reply to CG/N @ 17:25pm

Did you mean 17:29, or is your watch slow ;)

And being even more pedantic, you only need the pm if you said 5:25 ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 3 Dec 15 at 01:45
Ah, but your not allowing for the fact that we're on dreckly time in Cornwall ;)
 The perks of being old... - Slidingpillar
Although I got it all back, I paid the bills for and incurred by the undertakers for my dad's funeral. Actually got a discount for settlement within a month too, so from that I deduce the common thing is to wait for probate. But my father was not a borrower, nor am I and I didn't want the last bill he was responsible for to lag in in its payment.
I am middle class so that is my viewpoint- my comment related to people who DO own houses.
>>
>> >> Less than a year to go!
>> >>
>>
>>
>> First rule for a long life - never start counting down. Count up. :)

Good advice I think!
Count up to what?
>>...bus pass age...>>

Here again, Merseytravel is way ahead of the rest of the UK...:-)

The qualifying age for a travel pass was 60 for women and 65 for men until around 13 years ago, when a male senior citizen legally challenged this on the grounds of sex discrimination.

He won the case and 60 has been the qualifying age for both sexes ever since.
>> Has anyone ever been challenged when buying a senior ticket for anything, if so what
>> proof of age did you use?

No, I am 61 and I didn't realise that concessions start at 60 till recently, so now I am getting my moneys worth. And no, no-one checks or confirms. SO much so that I have started claiming Mrs Z is 60 (she's not) and no-one queries that either, she is livid about it.
>> A surprising number of Concert venues offer cut-price deals

As do museums I believe.

Just make sure they don't keep you there as a future exhibit ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 2 Dec 15 at 10:23
60 ain't old!
Pah - you young scamps!
 The perks of being old... - John Boy
I reported one of the perks in another topic:

"I enjoyed the Coventry museum too, Ted. Your assessment is spot on as far as I'm concerned. When I came out, I asked a young woman if I was at the right bus stop to get to the park 'n' ride. She confirmed it and walked off to another stop. I saw her looking at her iPhone and, a minute later, she came back and told me what time my bus would arrive. I left Coventry feeling okay with the world!"
 The perks of being old... - commerdriver
>> I left Coventry feeling okay with the world!"
>>
It's a pleasant city as these places go. Certainly my oldest had 4 very happy years at the university there and still keeps in touch with many friends he made then who still live there.
My local does a very good pensioners lunch 2 days a week for £5 and does good business. Choice of 4 or 5 meals with chips and peas. I couldn't buy the ingredients and cook it for £5' local chip shop does pensioners portion (smallish) at £3 with a cup of tea or coffee. Pensioners are a growing market! A rail card can pay for itself, at £20 a year I think, on just two long trips.
Which is your local wokingham (assuming you're in Wokingham!!). The Frogs "senior" menu was two courses for £5.99 or three for £6.99 but the main course was tiny.
Don't think so; a £200,000 property in Wokingham would be about the right size to lower into the ground with our Wokes still inside.
 The perks of being old... - Auntie Lockbrakes
My aging Mother in law died recently. SWMBO asked me if we should bury or cremate her?

Why take chances I said? Best do both...!

Anyone seen my coat...
The best perk, by far, of being old is not having to work.
"WORK" is a four letter word!
>>"WORK" is a four letter word!

So is "LOVE" ... some people love their work, and wouldn't dream of retiring, I envy them in a way.

"ENVY" is a four-letter word!
UKIP is a 4 letter word.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 3 Dec 15 at 12:41
so is Zero
 The perks of being old... - The Melting Snowman
Pensioners shouldn't get discounts just because they're a certain age. I know a lot of very wealthy pensioners and a lot of very poor working people struggling to make ends meet.
>> Pensioners shouldn't get discounts just because they're a certain age. I know a lot of very wealthy pensioners and a lot of very poor working people struggling to make ends meet.>>

Then we should stop paying the taxes and other financial responsibilities needed to help look after us in our old age.

Those of us who made proper provision for retirement shouldn't be a source of envy because we've done the right thing.
>> Pensioners shouldn't get discounts just because they're a certain age. I know a lot of
>> very wealthy pensioners and a lot of very poor working people struggling to make ends
>> meet.

These deals are offered because they drum up business and increase profit. Simply not worth the effort of trying to deny the benefit to a handful who wouldn't pass a means test.
If B&Q did not offer me 10% off on a Wednesday, I would never enter their doors or buy on-line..

If my gym did not give me discounted rates I would go elsewhere..
Do wealthy pensioners travel by bus and eat discounted pub meals on Tuesdqy lunchtimes or wait till next Wednesdqy to buy a cheap screwdriver in B and Q.?

The perks of being old... - sooty123
I suppose wealthy is subjective, but I know a few pensioners that do that and similar.
>> Do wealthy pensioners travel by bus and eat discounted pub meals on Tuesdqy lunchtimes or
>> wait till next Wednesdqy to buy a cheap screwdriver in B and Q.?

Yeah, a lot of them are tight fisted.
Since when did B & Q start selling cocktails ?
Yours
Old and confused
 The perks of being old... - PeterS
>> Do wealthy pensioners travel by bus and eat discounted pub meals on Tuesdqy lunchtimes or
>> wait till next Wednesdqy to buy a cheap screwdriver in B and Q.?
>>

Not what I aspire to it has to be said!!

Stil, a few years to go, so who knows ☺️
"poor working people struggling to make ends meet"
Oddly enough, I was one of those for 40 years before I retired after paying tax and NI for those 40 years. Since I retired I am still paying tax on the pension I contributed to for 40 years. If it wasn't for the job I have done for the last 7 years since "retirement" I would hardly use the bus pass and maybe once or twice have used the Senior rail card. Winter fuel thing? £100 for me and same for Mrs W who also worked for 40 years bar a couple off to raise kids.
Free prescriptions? Well been very, very lucky - one prescription in last 7 years, prior to that not seen my doctor for 20 years - hope not to see him for another 20 years.
Worked for last 7 years since "retirement" paying 25% tax on what I earn - bloomin' expensive these bus passes, railcards and free prescriptions!
As for "wealthy pensioners" - yep, lots of them after surviving paying 15% on their mortgages in the '70s and '80s.
I've no doubt my Dad would have classified himself as "very poor working person struggling to make ends meet" as would my "kids".
I do wonder whether the "discounts" pensioners receive are more or less than the tax paid on pensions let alone what we have paid in the past?
Any one got any ideas/figures?
"Since I retired I am still paying tax on the pension I contributed to for 40 years. "

But you didn't pay tax on the contributions to that pension. That was effectively the bargain that the government struck. Tax relief on the paymment towards to the pension but the pension itself would be taxable
Anyone fretting about pensioners' discounts should try a bit of negotiating. OK, maybe not in Wetherspoons but anyone who pays the advertised rate for a gym membership or a hotel room is a mug.

Let's not confuse trivial discounts offered for simple commercial reasons - pensioners have free cash and the time to spend it - with politically motivated handouts and exemptions. There is a serious issue here, but it isn't the price of a stepladder at B&Q.
 The perks of being old... - Alanovich
Don't encourage pensioners to buy step ladders, they'll fall off them and the NHS budget is stretched enough already.
"with politically motivated handouts and exemptions."

We there aren't really many of them.

A free bus pass. If you don't use buses not worth much

A heating allowance of £100. Happy to see that go. I give mine to charity

Can't think that I get anything else
Not labelled as such, perhaps, CGN, but when you look at how the burden of austerity rested disproportionately on those of working age, it's a different picture. Pensioners get political favours because more of them vote, which has knock-on effects on the housing market, the structure of the NHS and the taxes paid by those still working.

Virtual coconut for the first to reply, "I've worked all my life, so I'm entitled to..."
I'm not sure I'm getting any political favours. I pay the same for a house as everyone else, I am in the same queue for treatment at the hospital and I pay the same taxes as everyone else. Should I have the misfortune to end up needing careI will fund it myself.

I have indeed worked all my life and never claimed any state benefits. I don't want any now. I get a state pension which is worth about £280 a month after tax.

What money I have I have personally saved. I have bought my own house

I do get a little tired of being somehow seen as some sort of beneficiary of state munificence.

>> Anyone fretting about pensioners' discounts should try a bit of negotiating. OK, maybe not in
>> Wetherspoons but anyone who pays the advertised rate for a gym membership or a hotel
>> room is a mug.
>>

My dad, now 83, is as tight as the proverbial when it comes to buying things - I remember him telling me he was trying to negotiate a pensioner's discount on a new fridge.freezer.....

Nearly all the tourist attractions here in Austria give an age-related discount, which varies as to the eligible age. The local cable car offers IIRC 4 euros off an annual season ticket, which makes the cost around 93 euros. No free bus pass, but an annual train pass, which also covers the buses (run by the same company) costs 29 euros and gives up to 50% discount so not a bad deal.
 The perks of being old... - Ambo
>>Should I have the misfortune to end up needing careI will fund it myself.

How, as a matter of interest? Any "care" home offering a middle class standard of accommodation would need a sizeable income.

In the meantime, McCarthy and Stone beckon. They are building a huge new development within p****** distance of our general hospital, although there is no sign of a walkway between them at present. Maybe there are mutual benefits - a new kind of NHS funding or management initiative perhaps?

>> p****** distance of our general hospital, although there is no sign of a walkway between
>> them at present.

probably because the intended clientele can't walk.
"How, as a matter of interest? Any "care" home offering a middle class standard of accommodation would need a sizeable income."

Well it would require a long term savings and investment plan. I hope you have one in place.
>> "How, as a matter of interest? Any "care" home offering a middle class standard of
>> accommodation would need a sizeable income."
>>
>> Well it would require a long term savings and investment plan. I hope you have
>> one in place.
>>

Sell your house.

>>
>> Sell your house.
>>

Probably want to avoid that if you have a partner. A couple of years average care home fee would be a prudent reserve.
All wrong .. spend all your money and force the council to pay.. (no audit trail of gifts tho)
Apart from being inherently dishonest the council will claim the money from the sale of your house.

You will also have no choice as to where or your loved one end up. It's likely to be pretty grim.
 The perks of being old... - helicopter
The £10 christmas bonus from HMRC went into my account yesterday....

£100 winter fuel allowance went in last week....

I used my free bus pass this week to go the cinema in town at seniors rates and also had my hair cut for £6 instead of £8.

Frankly I do not need the money or the bus pass but also I am not going to turn it down.......and going by bus I do not have a problem parkng in town or with having a drink or two if I want.

The WFA has gone to charity.
 The perks of being old... - Ambo
>>A couple of years average care home fee would be a prudent reserve.

It would but that would be an average of £82,264, with nursing care, in my region, according to this comparison:

www.payingforcare.org/care-home-fees
Yes . That would be a prudent reserve.
You can enter into an agreement with the council to pay for your fees but the money won't be taken out of the estate until both partners have died.
Do all councils allow that now? I know that at one time some councils had not implemented such a scheme.

>> You can enter into an agreement with the council to pay for your fees but
>> the money won't be taken out of the estate until both partners have died.
>>

It would appear you only qualify for the scheme if you have less than £23,500

Most will still have to sell the house once the funds are used up

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/longtermcare/11441163/Why-you-WILL-have-to-sell-your-home-to-pay-for-care.html
>> It would appear you only qualify for the scheme if you have less than £23,500
>>
>>
>> Most will still have to sell the house once the funds are used up
>>
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/longtermcare/11441163/Why-you-WILL-have-to-sell-your-home-to-pay-for-care.html
>>

Not sure if those rules have just come in, but I know someone who did that agreement with the council about 3 years ago and they had more than £23,500 in savings.
 The perks of being old... - Haywain
Just a point about the NHS 'birthday card' mentioned above ........

I bumped into an old work-colleague this morning bright and early at the market.

"You OK?" ....... "Yeah, yeah, but got to go into hospital for a colon operation before Christmas .................."

He'd had no symptoms at all of anything going wrong, but the 'smear on a card' test had flagged up a potential problem .......... don't ignore it.
Yes good advice.
My mum's just received a food parcel from the local scout group. She also received one a couple of weeks ago from the private landlord she rents her house from. And if anything like the last couple of years are anything to go by, she'll get another food parcel from the local churches in the next week or so.
Got to be around £30 to £40 quid's worth in each parcel. Soup, beans, tea, coffee. stamps, biscuits, box of chocs, wrapping paper, dish cloths, etc. All useful stuff.

...stamps...

Tell her not to try licking them, however hungry she gets. It's not like the old days; she could get in an awful mess.
When I was in Round Table we used to dish out quite respectable food parcels at Christmas. We depended on some local agency to maintain our lists and provide new names as people dropped off.

I regularly delivered about 8 - 10 to folks who lived in local (what were) almshouses, and all of them seemed to do quite well out of it, each getting multiple parcels from various clubs. I always felt that the same list went to all the service clubs, and that there must be more deserving ones out there who were missed by everyone. Still, it was always well received.
Latest Forum Posts