Non-motoring > Post from Germany - how long does it take? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 23

Post from Germany - how long does it take? - RattleandSmoke
I have never ordered anything abroad before but I ordered a new stylus on Tuesday from Germany as it worked out much cheaper. It was shipped on the Tuesday, the Deutsche Post tracking system just says the item it has been posted with no further information.

I have no idea how the item has been sent, but it is a very small item so it will fit in an normal envelope I just wondered how long it will take so I know when to start worrying etc. E.g is it days or a week etc.
 Post from Germany - how long does it take? - Dog
I've ordered quite a bit of 'stuff' from the Fatherland over the years. My most recent order was for a nice pair of Meindl hiking boots, ordered on 29/11 and arrived today.
 Post from Germany - how long does it take? - Mapmaker
We rather smashed up their postal service a few years ago; since then it has been very unreliable. Few items get through the post to the UK from Germany I'm afraid. Surprised you didn't know.
Thanks Dog, that gives me a rough idea. On that note I am quite surprised by the price difference but I think good exchange rate helped a bit.

Mapmaker that will be like their railways then, I always find them unreliable and don't get me started on how unreliable their cars are, I mean just look at the BMW indicator scandal.

Post from Germany - how long does it take? - WillDeBeest
I think our Mappy's bored at work today. He pulled our legs about not knowing the difference between a 2002 BMW and a BMW 2002, now this. Bad boy.
 Post from Germany - how long does it take? - Pat
>> our Mappy's bored at work today<<

Order, Order W de B

I got roundly told off for calling him that many years ago and I shall expect him to do the same to you:)

Pat
Perhaps I'm feeling reckless, Pat. After all, I've been sparring with you, so I should be ready for anything.
}:---)
 Post from Germany - how long does it take? - Pat
I thrive on it, it takes me back to the early years of my driving career:)

Pat
 Post from Germany - how long does it take? - PhilW
I ordered a memory card last Sunday, arrived (from Holland) this morning - standard post.
Mapmaker probably reckons I was very lucky to get it at all because our German friends did a lot of damage to the Dutch postal system a few years ago. ;-)
I ordered a memory card last Sunday, arrived (from Holland) this morning - standard post.
Mapmaker probably reckons I was very lucky to get it at all because our German friends did a lot of damage to the Dutch postal system a few years ago. ;-)
Oops - accidental double click!
All the oldies are at it tonight. Place is falling apart. They can't all have been barred from Wetherspoons, can they?
"They can't all have been barred from Wetherspoons, can they?"
No, but it's well past wine o'clock.
 Post from Germany - how long does it take? - Zero
If it comes through the Ardennes it will be here before you are ready for it.
"If it comes through the Ardennes it will be here before you are ready for it."

Made me laugh!
You have a good iMaginotnation Z
 Post from Germany - how long does it take? - tyrednemotional
>> If it comes through the Ardennes it will be here before you are ready for
>> it.
>>

Is that because it's being delivered by Postman Pâté?

Post from Germany - how long does it take? - Zero
No because its arriving by Deutsche Panzer Post
 Post from Germany - how long does it take? - Armel Coussine
>> No because its arriving by Deutsche Panzer Post

Clank clank clank... Bang bang bang... Raus! Raus! Schnell!

(OO-er... our postman is a smiling fellow fortunately, and English I'd say).
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 4 Dec 15 at 19:48
...I order quite a lot of stuff from Germany, but most comes by courier not letter post.

The Germans (both the commercial enterprises and their Post office) generally work with Teutonic efficiency, as you would expect (and usually, not a little courtesy). In fact, I like deling on-line with German undertakings.

If the item has been despatched by standard (but tracked) letter or parcel post, it is sometimes possible to track it in Royal Mail's tracking system once it has reached the UK, using the Deutsche Post number. It does not always work, however.

(Deutsche Post's system will only track in their network, once it is handed to RM, it is their responsibility to track it, but at some (indeterminate) time in the future, the DP system *should* finally be updated)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Fri 4 Dec 15 at 19:47
Thanks, it recognises the item and says it is from Germany. I get this message

Status: Royal Mail Signed Forâ„¢ items are only scanned when the item has been delivered. Depending on whether the item was sent 1st or 2nd class, this may be a few days after posting. Please try again later.
Please come back later
Information on your Royal Mail Signed Forâ„¢ item is not yet available.

So at least I know it is in the UK post system.

>> So at least I know it is in the UK post system.
>>

...and it hasn't (yet) been delivered to someone else! ;-)
 Post from Germany - how long does it take? - Mike H
I sent a small package from Austria to the UK recently and it took two weeks. I send a regular letter once a week and it normally takes just a couple of days. Not directly comparable I know. Perhaps it's the time of year.
 Post from Germany - how long does it take? - Rudedog
I won an item on eBay last Sunday, dispatched from Germany and received yesterday morning. Package was a coin so was a small jiffy bag but it required a signature so was being tracked from Deutsche Post through to RM.

I'm waiting on three others coins I've won from Germany, hopefully they should take too long either.
It arrived this morning :). And with the £30 saving I made I saw New Order last night so it worked out perfectly.
Latest Forum Posts