Non-motoring > Electricity and gas price movements Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 8

Electricity and gas price movements - Ambo
What is the forum's view on prices over the next one or two years? I have to decide whether to pick a variable or a fixed price tariff.
 Electricity and gas price movements - Crankcase

Coincidentally I signed up to this site today. It's not a traditional comparison engine. It might be of use, not for predicting the future, but at least for making sure you're not missing out.

It told me I was currently on the cheapest tariff available amongst all the suppliers, which was good, shows I did my research at the time I guess. No switching required this month.

Its key point though is that they mail you when there is something cheaper, so you don't have to keep faffing about with comparison engines.

You can fine grain it so it will mail you either when anything cheaper at all comes up, or only when there's a certain saving of your choice (ie £25 a year, or £75 a year, or whatever you can be bothered with).

And they are very open about how it's funded, how much they get, and indeed, in some circumstances, how much you will get, if you change.

Seems ok in principle anyway. I expect it's probably a subset of all possible suppliers and tariffs, but it seems pretty extensive, and puts another item in your financial toolbox at least.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Electricity and gas price movements - smokie
I joined them a month or so back. Went onto an EON tariff which was quite a bit cheaper than the tariff I was on, which coincidentally was with EON!! Who'd told me there was no cheaper tariff!!!
 Electricity and gas price movements - Robin O'Reliant
Nobody has a clue what energy prices will be in two years time, there are too many variables.

Two years ago the experts were predicting that prices would be sky high by now.
A useful site, thanks. I notice most of the suppliers have a vey low rating. Ovo is easily the best, with 85% positive but gives the lowest savings.

I am one E.ON 1 year fixed V 14 paperless dual fuel. It now has only 4 new tariffs and there is only £100 per annum difference between the lowest and highest. The site tells me I can save up to £600 per annum by switching supplier, which merits further research.
>>The site tells me I can save up to £600 per annum by switching supplier, which merits further research.

But only £100 if I ask for a calculation based on actual present costs as opposed to kwh.
 Electricity and gas price movements - Manatee
The only reliable way to do this is to look up the actual unit costs and apply those to your own assumptions as to usage.

I have had various funny results when using the comparison tools - including with Scottish Power's own one that compares a new fix with the one I am on by assuming that if the current one expires in less than a year, I will switch to the expensive standard rate.

The comparators are OK for a trawl but always do your own calculations before pressing the button.

I have been moving on the the next new one year fix almost month by month with Scottish Power this year, as the price has generally been downwards and it extends my fix. The last time, the price was unchanged, so I took the new one for the extra month.
 Electricity and gas price movements - Crankcase
Agreed, Manatee, and that's what the site I linked does -shows you the actual unit prices of all the tariffs. I was logging on to handfuls of individual sites from the various companies to extract their tariffs to compare, but at least this site does all that for you.

Then of course you have to decide the ins and outs of each for your own circumstances. I have mine at 18p a day standing charge and 10.7p per kW at the moment, fixed until next November, and can't find anything better.
 Electricity and gas price movements - madf
>> Nobody has a clue what energy prices will be in two years time, there are
>> too many variables.
>>
>> Two years ago the experts were predicting that prices would be sky high by now.
>>

Based on extrapolating current trends forever.. See also Global Warming theories with tends continuing forever. There are always Peaks and troughs in long term trends.

Before prices rise again, OPEC has to capitulate first.
Latest Forum Posts