Non-motoring > Bridge Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 3

Bridge - Armel Coussine
I fancied an elegant low concrete arch, but money and sense have prevailed. This is to replace the somewhat rotten oak bridge below the house here. You have to try to step on the strong bits.

The plan at present is for concrete plinths at either end, with 2X8" treated pine, so-called, placed on edge and covered with appropriate treated pine planking.

Span yet to be decided, but it can't be too much more than the present span. More to the point though, can this treated pine last 20 or even 10 years in sodden, mossy Sussex? I wouldn't think so.

('Seth undid another button, and lounged away.' - Cold Comfort Farm).
 Bridge - Armel Coussine
I see that my last comment looks a bit what some people might call negative.

In all seriousness I think the treated pine solution is the best. Perhaps the stuff can be re-treated to make it last longer. We can wade about slapping stuff on above our heads and getting it in our eyes and hair.

Or rather, the young and sprauncy can, if they can still manage it in this wimpish self-indulgent age.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 6 Dec 15 at 00:03
 Bridge - Armel Coussine
>> I see that my last comment looks a bit what some people might call negative.

The whole thing is viable, but it has hidden depths. Preying on my mind is the footing of the concrete plinths. Perhaps a bit of very strong shuttering and a huge great hose of liquid concrete at either end will do the trick, but I can't help worrying about it. The amount of cement could be truly enormous.

And there's the problem of getting the cement trucks to either side without getting them stuck.
 Bridge - Mapmaker
Larch I believe does not rot.
Latest Forum Posts