Non-motoring > At the cinema - Bridge of Spies. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 9

At the cinema - Bridge of Spies. - Zero
Went to see this last week. Its about the Garry Powers (U2 Spy plane pilot) Rudolph Abel (soviet spy swap) from the perspective of the lawyer who negotiated it.

There is precious little action in this, its slow paced but at at 141 minutes does not seem a minute too long.

Because its fantastic.,

Cinematography and lighting (almost film noir style) backed with meticulous costume, scenes and settings makes it utterly believable and involving, The acting and script is first rate (Mark Rylance is brilliant as Abel - Tom Hanks is, well, Tom Hanks). Reasonably historically accurate, the film does a good job of portraying US nuclear war fear, and adds a touch of East Germany / Soviet Union mistrust in the mix.

Must see
 At the cinema - Bridge of Spies. - CGNorwich
Slated to see it this week. Also want to see "Carol". totally different type of film but attracting five star reviews. have you seen it?
 At the cinema - Bridge of Spies. - Zero
No, thats what I call one of Mrs Z's chick flics, she'll go to see this with her mates (as she did The Lady in the Van)

We class films in our house. Hers, Mine, and Together. Carol is hers, Bridge of Spies and Spectre was together.
I like a good lesbian love story now and again.

Strangely my wife has a penchant for films with lots of exploding helicopters and car chases and guns that fire an unfeasible amount of ammunition that I regularly have to sit through
p.s you missed a brilliant film in "The Lady With The Van". Funniest film of the year
 At the cinema - Bridge of Spies. - Haywain
"p.s you missed a brilliant film in "The Lady With The Van". Funniest film of the year"

Good job we're all different - I thought Lady/Van was very pedestrian. The previous week, we went to see 'Brooklyn', a film that I considered would be a 'hers' film but which I found to be very absorbing. There was a sound message for living your life in there as well - i.e. sometimes you've got to get off your backside, trust your eyes and ears, and go for it. Uplifting stuff!
Brooklyn is on my list too. Big "word of mouth" film.
 At the cinema - Bridge of Spies. - legacylad
Just put Carol on my kindle, together with a mish mash of thrillers, classics & Scifi, which I shall read in the next few weeks.
Thanks for the heads up on Bridge of Spies. Something to do over Xmas instead of watch TV and a dry alternernative to long wet walks. My fav film of the year is still 'Man Up' with Simon Pegg.
 At the cinema - Bridge of Spies. - rtj70
We're planning on seeing Lady in the Van this Saturday at our local independent. Will be going to Brooklyn when that's showing shortly afterwards. We have pencilled in Bridge of Spies in for New Years Day.

Before our local cinema closed down just over a year ago, we went as often as they had films we liked.... but typically a handful of times a year unfortunately. Since it was taken over and refurbished, we've been 3 times since it opened in October and have another 3 trips planned in the next few weeks. I hope they keep up showing good films.
 At the cinema - Bridge of Spies. - Manatee
The demand for this local cinema exceeds its capacity.

therexberkhamsted.com/

Very spacious and comfortable, and they sell 500 advance booking memberships every year at £150 a nob. Sold out for 2016.

Normal prices are £9, £5 in the afternoons. Bridge of Spies is on for 2 days at the end of December and sold out, so I'll have to slum it in Aylesbury!
Latest Forum Posts