Non-motoring > Mobile use abroad Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 42

Mobile use abroad - MD
We've just outed EE and gorn with Giffgaff (02)

Used abroad EE eventually was not too dear using daily 'packages' etc.

Got rid of EE after 15 years due to lack of service.

Now with GG I am unsure what to do. Some folks I hear buy a local sim card (Iphones both unlocked), but how will that help me?

We'll be taking Ipads too and there's ample Wife Aye, but I am keen to know the best 'phone route.

Thanks in advance.
 Mobile use abroad - Crankcase
Don't know who your landline at home is with, but Virgin offer me a "smartcall" app for free. As long as you have wifi anywhere in the world, you use it to make a call and it routes as if you were using your phone at home, so costs whatever that would.

As we get free national calls in the evening and at weekends then I could make a call for free from anywhere in the world to anywhere in the uk for nothing if I timed it right if I'm in range of wifi.

If you have some other landline provider they might do something similar?

Mobile use abroad - smokie
Depends what you want it for really. For calls look at Viberout for calls if you have good WiFi. There's probably other alternatives. Or just regular Viber which is free if you are calling to another Viber user and not much for crossing borders with calls. (Ideal situation for 2nd SIM is a second phone to put it in, otherwise you cannot receive calls or texts on your regular number without faffing around swapping SIMs.)

account.viber.com/en/rates/

I often get a local SIM, but almost exclusively for off-WiFi data use, not calls/texts.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 7 Dec 15 at 18:59
 Mobile use abroad - R.P.
3 do that as well.
 Mobile use abroad - MD
Land line at home = BT
>> Land line at home = BT

That'll be this then. See if it's any use?

bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40735/~/how-does-the-bt-smarttalk-app-work-and-what-are-the-benefits%3F
 Mobile use abroad - MD
Hi CC. I am currently installing BT smartTalk and have gone through most of the process (have you done it)? and have entered the pin that they sent me, but the system now appears to have 'hung'. !!
No, I haven't, sorry. I don't have a BT line. With mine you had to put in your home number and then they texted me a pin, after which it just worked.

Well, it was only an idea, at least it didn't cost you anything to try!
 Mobile use abroad - MD
Well it's now in me ol' mate. Thanks for that indeedy. I'll just have to remember NOT to call a mobile from my mobile whilst using BT smartTalk!!
Hope it works as well as the Virgin one then. I used it the other night to make a call from our landline from the iPhone, hence free, while Mrs C was actually using the landline at the same time. Worked perfectly.

Mobile use abroad - MD
I've only got about a third of a meg here at home so I doubt if it will work too well.
 Mobile use abroad - mikeyb
I switched from EE to three last year. Coverage appears to be fine, and I'm making full use of the no roaming fees - reckon its saved me a few hundred this year
 Mobile use abroad - MD
So shall I just buy a 3 sim for a month to cover my 1 week away?
 Mobile use abroad - Armel Coussine
When we are travelling our mobiles sometimes work, not always well.

When they don't work, if there's anything urgent we ask politely and borrow someone else's mobile. People are surprisingly generous about it as a rule. I could tell some stories but I have already so I won't bother.
 Mobile use abroad - MD
I have stacks of Gin here, but no tonic. Could you pop some over please Lud. Of course you'd be welcome to stay for a few. I'll leave the outside light on. Toodle Pip.
 Mobile use abroad - Armel Coussine
>> I have stacks of Gin here, but no tonic

You must be winding me up MD. I hate quinine from childhood, and quynyne wadder as the cousins call it is just as bad although not as evilly intense as the real thing, an innocent-looking pale orange fluid that makes you throw up instantly.

There may be some so-called 'tonic' in the fridge but it isn't mine. Yuck.

Apart from all that MD, I'd pop over if I had any idea where you lived and it wasn't too distant. I'd bring some orange juice with me. Another time perhaps.

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 7 Dec 15 at 23:36
 Mobile use abroad - R.P.
store.three.co.uk/view/content/basket
 Mobile use abroad - MD
That's very eerie. That's the page i've just left.
 Mobile use abroad - Runfer D'Hills
He's a Mod Martin, they 'know' things...

Secret things

Tell them nothing.
 Mobile use abroad - R.P.
My mystic powers extend to Morrisons in Crewe.....it has no cafe...
 Mobile use abroad - Runfer D'Hills
No indeed, they just throw the out of date raw meat out onto the car park from time to time to keep the worst of them occupied while the almost cured ones shop...
 Mobile use abroad - MD
What are the Crew like in Morrison's?
 Mobile use abroad - R.P.
She was fine...she laughed when I asked if the had a caff....and pointed me in the direction of a 24 hour pub that did all-you-can eat breakfasts....it was OK- duff coffee...You're right Humph it was all very Walking Dead.
 Mobile use abroad - Zero
Morrisons is weird, some of them are really grotty and some, like the one in Weybridge are excellent, good cafe, excellent deli, great choices and range of fruit and veg. Its brand new and as far as morrisons goes, very up market.
 Mobile use abroad - MD
THe Cafe in the Bideford branch is nothing short of apppppalllling.
 Mobile use abroad - R.P.
Crewe was weird....my car alarm went off. Not done that before.
 Mobile use abroad - Bromptonaut
>> Crewe was weird.

Northampton's are both OK but not convenient or those of us living in what estate agents call 'villages west'.

Nice coffee and sarnie in Wellyboro's when over there on CAB business (new advice model presentation) last month.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 7 Dec 15 at 21:13
 Mobile use abroad - legacylad
Morrisons in Gib has a bar. Friends of mine, ex Forces stationed there, occasionally pop over for a few days to relive times past, and escape the bread knife for a while.
Still not clear to me what you want to use it for: local calls, calling UK, mobile data?
 Mobile use abroad - rtj70
If it's to call home only then the use of the BT app might be sufficient if MD doesn't need the ability to make calls from anywhere. Incoming calls will obviously be charged if he answers the mobile.

I'm unclear what the requirements are. In the past MD seems to say he used his phone when needed and paid for this on a daily basis with a package. Maybe the GiffGaff equivalent of that is what he really needs?
 Mobile use abroad - rtj70
Ah... GiffGaff does not offer any 'goody bags' for overseas. So you need credit on the account to make/receive calls, send text, etc.

So I assume MD must be happy with the app otherwise GiffGaff was not the right choice.

I suppose an alternative is to have a temporary SIM for use abroad that does have overseas 'package/deal' and divert the GiffGaff number.
 Mobile use abroad - MD
The correct solution of course would be to turn it off and leave it in the fridge or safe or some other dark place where it would not interfere with my intended consumption!

However Erin would wish to keep in touch with the Heiress to the overdraft and the Grand children.

I never cease to be amazed when going overseas and one thinks one has covered all bases on this subject that one's service provider has managed to hide some such detail that involves removing one from one' hard earned. Gits.
Sooo.. it's for phoning home then, at times of your choosing (rather than unexpected inbound calls).

If it is one or two specific "targets" who are on WiFi get them to install Viber or some other VOIP app, then call them when you are both on WiFi - all totally free (or they can Viber call you when you are on WiFi).

My lot use it all the time. Android is at play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.viber.voip, I'm sure you can find Apple if you need it.
 Mobile use abroad - Mike H
The other free possibilty using wifi, which may already be installed on one or more of your phones is FB Messenger, although like Skype only the Messenger-Messenger and Skype-Skype calls are free. I use the Skype app on my phone which works fine.
Yeah, good call - I said Viber cos that's what we've been using for years, and for no good reason I was always a bit anti-Skype, but it certainly would do the trick.
 Mobile use abroad - sherlock47
Skype has improved greatly over the last few years. One friend who uses Apple Facetime? has problems with latency - he uses satellite for local internet access which appears to be one hop too many. There could be many reasons for the problem, although i wonder if everything in Europe goes via multiple additional internal USA hops?. Other users of Skype with satellite local access have found it totally usable. I was surprised at how little effect the delay makes to a a face-face conversation.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 8 Dec 15 at 09:26
 Mobile use abroad - VxFan
>> One friend who uses Apple Facetime

Colleague at work uses Facetime all the time to talk to her daughter in Australia. Never used it myself, but she recons it's the bees knees.
 Mobile use abroad - Bromptonaut
>> Colleague at work uses Facetime all the time to talk to her daughter in Australia.
>> Never used it myself, but she recons it's the bees knees.

Miss B has followed her chap into the world of Apple and they use Facetime pretty regularly to talk to his parents etc. Does seem slightly better than Skype in terms of picture quality and vox/image synch
 Mobile use abroad - MD
Yep we used FaceTime a lot.

Our Taxi driver friend though picked us up a SIM card from Lyca Mobile (free). I put €10.00 on it and then Lyca added something like €5.00. Taxi man said he didn't think it worked for Internet but it did admirably. It had a facility where you could dial a number for free and it showed the remaining balance. Call to the UK to both mobile and landline were so cheap I was amazed. Very good value and highly recommended.
 Mobile use abroad - Falkirk Bairn
I see more of a my Texas based son on Facetime in a week than I see of his brother who lives 2 miles away. Weekly call, 30 mins and the only issue was when his house was struck by lightning and he lost his cable+telephone connection.

Facetime superior to Skype,although we keep Skype connection in reserve should the Apple ipod/ipad/iphone at each end falls over.
 Mobile use abroad - No FM2R
>>Facetime superior to Skype

Is it?

My youngest uses our one remaining Apple device to speak to her cousin in Seattle and says the same, but never manages to explain in what way its better.
 Mobile use abroad - Zero
Always found the facetime picture streaming quality and synch to be smoother than Skype and more stable most of the time, certainly between brazil / australia and here.
 Mobile use abroad - CGNorwich
>> Always found the facetime picture streaming quality and synch to be smoother than Skype and
>> more stable most of the time, certainly between brazil / australia and here.
>>

Same for Canada. Always use FaceTime in preference to Skype.
Latest Forum Posts