Non-motoring > The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better Green Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 18

The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better - zippy
tinyurl.com/z22m9tj

A case of the turkey not voting for Christmas, which is totally understandable but how many major coastal cities around the world will not be able to use their oil if temperatures keep rising!

The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better - Armel Coussine
We have these expensive, not-much-use wind farms on and offshore. Tidal barrages and so on are expensive too and get clogged with barnacles and stuff... we've got Sizewell B or something but we buy a lot of power from the French who feel their land area makes nuclear a better risk.

Yer. Let the Frogs glow in the dark innit? Alf of em do already from all that wine and that...
Australia has huge coal reserves of all qualities, from peat-like Yallourn brown coal to steam coal and dense, energy-dense anthracite.

The Ockers will still be laughing when we are in rags and starving, picking miserably through the ruins.
 The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better - CGNorwich
But for any one with oil heating the price has one dropped to 31.79 per litre and is expected to go lower.

Petrol likely to be sub £1.00 per litre by Christmas.

It behoves us I suppose, since we are hydrocarbons-rich and technologically innovative, to pioneer the distillation of coal producing petrol-equivalent spirit, creosote and other toxic fluids, leaving masses of coke - no jokes please - which is a valuable, energy-dense heating fuel.

We're lucky to live where we live and to be who we are.
 The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better - MD
27.5 pence today chap and that's for under 900 litres. You is being ripped.
Crude petroleum contains all the solvents that can be distilled out of it, petrol, creosote, lubricants and so on.

It's bad stuff to handle because it dissolves the natural protective oil off your skin. You wouldn't want to be an oil worker for too long despite the decent wages.
>> 27.5 pence today chap and that's for under 900 litres. You is being ripped.

Not really . I use gas

The price I quoted we from the Boiler Juice site and is the average price for England today.

www.boilerjuice.com/heating-oil-prices-england/

The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better - madf
I remember Peak Oil.

Another one bites the dust.
 The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better - PhilW
"I remember Peak Oil.
Another one bites the dust."
You must be even older as me - according to my Geog teacher at school, the world's oil reserves ran out in 1980.
 The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better - Zero
Did he tell you there was no such thing as climate change before he retired to carlisle?
 The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better - PhilW
"Did he tell you there was no such thing as climate change before he retired to Carlisle?"

OK Z, You made me laugh, but I'm not starting that again!!
Hope we both live long enough for one of us to be able to claim to have been right! ;-)
P

However, - no laughing matter for those affected -every sympathy (and a donation) for the poor souls up there who have had their homes and belongings destroyed by the floodwaters - and it ain't just water, it's water full of all sorts of foul sewage, rubbish, mud, etc. Not a question of drying out - it's replacement (often of treasured items) and rebuilding - will have destroyed many a happy Christmas. Sad.

The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better - Dog
They'll be giving heating oil away free with every packet of Daz soon - you mark my words!
>> highly mechanized though in that ingenious cynical Victorian engineer mode,

The coal was heated by coke in parallel cylindrical retorts. When the coal in the retorts had given up most of its gas and distillates, huge hydraulic rams would shove the hot coke out onto the pile.

It's a big deal these days, but industrial pollution didn't mean much to a Victorian entrepreneur. Plenty more hungry workers where those came from.
Like Sheffield steelworkers, gasworks workers tended to have unhealthy complexions and coughs.
There's a nodding donkey just down the road from here, and there's supposed to be all this frackable shale.

I suppose if you can get it without having to plumb the oceans and get barnacles on you you will.

Course I'm all in favour of petrol and hydrocarbons, they propel my favourite modes of transport. Long may they last!
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 9 Dec 15 at 19:57
 The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better - madf
Demand and supply figs here..

www.iea.org/oilmarketreport/omrpublic/

Anyone who thinks oil demand is going to fall soon is deluded.

I'm not sure anyone thinks oil demand is going to fall any time soon

Not in a world of rapidly falling oil prices and massive over production
 The Sooner We Move From Oil The Better - devonite
The falling price of Oil and all it's assorted financial ramifications may have been one of the deciding factors that made Mr C want to bomb the Oilfields in Syria.
Latest Forum Posts