Non-motoring > It's Christmas Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skip Replies: 53

It's Christmas - Skip
As the festive period is nearly upon us again what are you all doing for Christmas ?
 It's Christmas - Dog
I'm going on a juice fast from Christmas eve 'til new years eve. Mainly green veg, but also some fruit and BIG salads.
No meat of any kind. No sherbet, and no grains at all at all.

Merry? Christmas.
 It's Christmas - martin aston
What? Not even a Christmas marrowbone? Call the RSPCA ;-)
 It's Christmas - Bromptonaut
At home with Mrs B, The Lad and my Mother. Possibly sis and family on Xmas day as their planned time in Keswick has been jiggered by the floods.
 It's Christmas - CGNorwich
>> I'm going on a juice fast from Christmas eve 'til new years eve. Mainly green
>> veg, but also some fruit and BIG salads.
>> No meat of any kind. No sherbet, and no grains at all at all.

Why?
 It's Christmas - Dog
>>Why?

I eat well every day of the week, so I'll be giving my 'system' a rest. I may even go veggie again afterwards.

'When I were a lad' we only had chicken at Christmastime, and I used to thoroughly enjoy it. ditto Christmas.

If-truth-be-told, I don't like what Christmas has become these days; it's mostly about eating and drinking and spending to ex-cess. I can avoid all that 'up here', so I choose to.
 It's Christmas - Alanovich
>> I don't like what Christmas has become these days; it's mostly about eating and
>> drinking and spending to ex-cess.

Apart from the spending, which does get me down, eating and drinking to excess are precisely the reasons I enjoy Yuletide (although, granted, one has to spend to obtain the excess grub and booze). It's one of life's few pleasures and I'm too much of a nice bloke to deny it to myself.

I shall be spending it at home with the wife and children and my mum, step father and mother-in-law. Happily, the two Grandmas don't have a language in common so it's all smiles.

Cheers. Burp.
 It's Christmas - Zero
>> >> I don't like what Christmas has become these days; it's mostly about eating and
>> >> drinking and spending to ex-cess.

Nothing "become these days" It has always been that way.

Laddo is having christmas with his gf and family, our first apart. So we decided to book chrissy lunch at a very posh hotel, laddo is now well peed off.
 It's Christmas - Clk Sec
That'll be Spoons, I guess. Very nice, too.
 It's Christmas - Zero
>> That'll be Spoons, I guess. Very nice, too.

Spoons? are they doing xmas day lunch?
 It's Christmas - Duncan
>> Spoons? are they doing xmas day lunch?
>>

You know full well that they are!

Where else would you go for Christmas Dinner?

www.jdwetherspoon.com/christmas-2015/christmas-day
 It's Christmas - smokie
As the youngest (mental health nurse in Brum) is working on Christmas day the main event (i.e. dinner and pressies) will happen on Boxing day.

Christmas day dinner is therefore likely to be steaks, and we will take the opportunity to get some practice on the excessive alcohol front. TV is unlikely to go on and games will be played. (The once-a-year WII and board games p.us some cards, for pennies).
 It's Christmas - legacylad
Given the chance I would be away skiing. 10am lift Xmas day, last lift in the afternoon. My elderly relatives sre still alive so feel duty bound to stay at home and spend time with them. After dog walking Xmas day morning, my two local pubs 1-3 followed by dinner at elderly mothers. Take the oldies for afternoon tea on the 26th, then fingers crossed for half decent weather to walk several miles. Might fit a loft ladder at mothers and top up her insulation if not.
I never spend much money at Xmas, but might splash out on a decent juicer. My CA friends have a great machine whose name escapes me, and I have plenty of their juicing recipes. I too might go tea total after Xmas day, at least until late Jan when I go to Spain for several weeks.
 It's Christmas - Badwolf
It's my turn to have my daughters this year, and for the first time in years I have six days off over Christmas. I'll pick them up early afternoon on Christmas Eve, then take them around to my mother-in-law's (they have been tasked with helping to set the table). After that, we'll head home for Christmas films and mince pies, with a nice, seasonal venison casserole for tea. We'll relax in the evening, joined by my wife's son and his girlfriend. Unfortunately, my step-daughter (who is a paediatric intensive care nurse) is working over Christmas so can't get home.

Christmas Day will dawn and I'll be up, as seems to be usual these days, around four thirty. Still, gives me time to get the full English prepped and kept warm in the oven. Then it's breakfast, Prosecco and pressie opening, then off to the in-laws' for the day. There will be eighteen of us this year which is just how I like it - noisy, happy, fun. Massive Christmas dinner, cooked by my stepson who is a superb chef, which normally takes three or four hours to consume. After dinner, me and my brother-in-law usually crack open a bottle of port and polish it off whilst talking about everything and anything. The telly stays resolutely off, and we spend the rest of the day chatting, playing games or just snoozing! Then it's home when we get tired for a nightcap and bed after a lovely day spent with those we love the most.
 It's Christmas - Runfer D'Hills
'Her' lot coming to us. Strangely reminiscent of the Addams family mostly...

Must check to see if I can source an 18lb bat to roast.

:-(
 It's Christmas - Fursty Ferret
I shall be working. Bah humbug etc.
At least you'll have a proper aeroplane to fly. I'll just have to borrow a broomstick from her mother.
 It's Christmas - Haywain
"At least you'll have a proper aeroplane to fly."

We'll be delaying the official Christmas get together until about the third week in January when my son gets back. He's somewhere in Thailand at the moment videoing/photographing Tracey Curtis-Taylor's flight to Australia; I think they're supposed to be on Bali at Christmas and at Ayers Rock for New Year. He spends most of his travelling-time in the Pilatus Porter support plane.

We go to our first carol concert on Sunday evening, with another one next weekend; hopefully, they will kickstart me into feeling vaguely Christmassy!
I was hoping to escape the pre Xmas frippery, but have just seen confounded Xmas lights in Los Cristianos. Bad enough having a few Xmas trees dotted around the hotel complex. Amstel at €1.50 pint compensates, other beers @ €1 pint on the prom. Not being religious, and jaded by years in retail, I'm the archetypal bah humbug.
Roll on January.
They did a lot of kite surfing when I went to Fuerteventura a few years ago, that's quite near where you are isn't it? Also saw far too many naked old people on the beaches.

Wouldn't at all mind a go at the kite surfing but would willingly pass on the crumbly nudies.
 It's Christmas - No FM2R
>>Wouldn't at all mind a go at the kite surfing

IIRC you already windsurf?

So buy an old crap kite cheap, practice flying it in a local field until you can do it automatically by feel without faceplanting in a cowpat.

Then go for kite surfing lessons. It saves you a lot of time and money.
Good tip that. Might just. A friend has relatively recently taken up microlighting. Fancy that too.
 It's Christmas - No FM2R
>>Might just

If you do, let me know beforehand. There's exercises and specific stuff to learn which I can send you details of.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 10 Dec 15 at 19:39
Ok ta !
 It's Christmas - Dog
Nice wev in LC at 1:00pm. I checked out the webcam overlooking my beach and saw some semi-naked people on it!!
I wonder where they put their car keys?
 It's Christmas - Dog
Where the sun don't shine?
 It's Christmas - The Melting Snowman
Scotland?
 It's Christmas - Skip
>> Where the sun don't shine?
>>
Given the size of some car keys these days I should imagine that might be somewhat uncomfortable !
 It's Christmas - WillDeBeest
Is there nothing this forum can discuss without it having been better in the old days? "Ah, the 1950s, when it was still a pleasure to put your car keys up your bum."
 It's Christmas - Zero
>> Is there nothing this forum can discuss without it having been better in the old
>> days? "Ah, the 1950s, when it was still a pleasure to put your car keys
>> up your bum."

you only need one key as well, it would open anything.
 It's Christmas - Dog
Screwdriver opened most Fiords, I hear.
 It's Christmas - Haywain
"Screwdriver opened most Fiords,"

I know for a fact that it would start an Ariel NH350 Red Hunter.
My Mk1 Fiat Panda ( gosh how I loved that car despite its limitations ) had 3 keys from new. One for the ignition, one for the doors and boot and one for the petrol cap. But they were quite small, so I suppose, had it been necessary...
Come to think, I'm going to say the last car key I had which could safely be stowed in a pocket in my board shorts was from my last Cortina. It was just a key, no transponders or the like, just a key which didn't come to any harm from immersion in sea water.

Wouldn't like to try that with any modern car key. Even when I'm out on the mountain bike which can sometimes involve involuntary dismounts in wet conditions, I put the car keys in a knotted freezer bag before they go into my pocket.
 It's Christmas - Zero

>> Wouldn't like to try that with any modern car key. Even when I'm out on
>> the mountain bike which can sometimes involve involuntary dismounts in wet conditions, I put the
>> car keys in a knotted freezer bag before they go into my pocket.

So you could end up involuntarily storing that key up your bum!
Hadn't thought of that but I suppose given the right set of coincidences...
Dog, when you say ' my beach', do you own real estate in LC? Never been to the island before, but after a few days prefer it to the other Canaries. Lanzagrotty & Fartyventura didn't impress, nor do some of the other parts I've seen here, but LC is ok.
Currently with friends who have stayed several times and are thinking of buying out here. I suppose there are worse places, but access is very easy from the UK, a half decent climate and seemingly cheap cost of living.
 It's Christmas - Dog
Dunno about real estate LL, but I used to own an apartment here:

www.google.co.uk/maps/@28.052535,-16.7207032,3a,75y,25.62h,89.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk8GGIpoJZk2sosXHRaXU2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

T'was the most 'salubrious' edificio at the time, purchased & sold via:

www.oceanproperties-tenerife.com/en/us

which was Spanish-owned then. Araceli used to flog the gaffs, and her husband did the legal stuff, very helpful they were too. Daughter was a looker ISTR, her name was Araceli too.

Been on any alf-decent walks yet??

www.tenerifeguide.eu/masca-walk/

www.webtenerife.co.uk/places-interest/teide-national-park/

walkingtenerife.co.uk/

Feliz Navidad.
 It's Christmas - Alanovich
>> Screwdriver opened most Fiords, I hear.
>>

My burgungy Ford Orion 1.6L, B591 JJM, was nicked using a screwcriver to open it and start it, then used in an armed robbery. I was chief suspect for a while till I turned up at my digs in my barman's outfit after a shift on the pumps, Old Bill were waiting for me when I got home.

They caught the blaggers the next day and returned the car to me, sans door lock and ignition barrel. I went to collect it from Nottingham nick with a screwdriver, b********* wouldn't start and I had to get the AA to tow it.
 It's Christmas - Dog
==> b********* wouldn't start and I had to get the AA to tow it.

LOL!
 It's Christmas - The Melting Snowman
My missus has everything planned with military precision. As much of the preparation for the Christmas dinner is done in advance. I have learned that it's best to keep put of the kitchen unless one likes to be shouted at.

Christmas Eve she plays the organ at the local church midnight service. She is supposed to be the stop-gap temporary organist but it's been that was for over thirty years. I go to the pub with the darts team. We start off at 6pm with steak and chips, then darts and beer until about 9pm when the bar maid brings out sandwiches. By about 10pm we have given up on darts as not many can see straight enough and we just drink beer. My missus picks me up at about 1am after the church service and the pub have kicked us out. I used to walk back to the house (about a mile) but I didn't make it back one year and was found in a ditch. Since then my missus has insisted she picks me up.

Christmas Day she usually helps out at the local hospice and we then have our dinner in the evening. By the afternoon the family descend on us and I'm usually fully recovered to help get the meal ready.
 It's Christmas - smokie
I am jealous of your Christmas Eve.
 It's Christmas - Zero
>> I am jealous of your Christmas Eve.

What being knocked into a ditch by a caravaner?
Or knocked on the back of the head by the wing mirror of a cash cow whilst stumbling home
Ending up in said ditch
 It's Christmas - Zero
>> Or knocked on the back of the head by the wing mirror of a cash
>> cow whilst stumbling home
>> Ending up in said ditch

Indeed, dangerous things them cashcows
 It's Christmas - tyrednemotional
...snowless ditch; ...luxury!

Let's not go there.......
Talking of ditches...a pal of mine, who lived at altitude, decided to walk home 'the short direct way', after a long lunchtime on the lash when his works closed for Christmas. He was found many hours later by the local MRT. Still alive fortunately, but severely hypothermic.
We don't talk about it. Ever.
......around 50 years ago, a friend of mine decided he was going to roll his Land-Rover spare wheel back from the Black Swan at Fearby to a property we were doing-up as volunteers at Colsterdale.

It was well after normal closing time, and the fact that a good time had been had by all might have had something to do with his decision (though I was under-age at the time, so was of course entirely sober, officer!)

All was going well, but you can't beat gravity, and at the first significant incline, away went the wheel with Pete sprinting in its wake.

Given that the was a sharp bend at the bottom, we were expecting the worst, but it was worse even than that!. The wheel had gone straight on, and bounced into the hedge, but Pete hadn't bounced, he'd gone straight into the ditch, into which drained the gallons of cow-s*** effluent from the adjacent farmyard, and it was lined with nettles.

Once (carefully) rescued, he was sufficiently inebriated anaestetised to retrieve the wheel, and toddle off into the dark again.

His clothes were burnt on the open fire the following morning, and I'm not sure he ever worked out where all the (nettle) blotches came from.

Along with a number of colleagues including myself, however, he did roll the self-same wheel 40 miles on a sponsored walk in the early days of such events, raising a not-inconsiderable sum for charity.

It's Christmas - No FM2R
I slept in a ditch once. Got breathalyzed in my MG one Christmas Eve when I was as absolutely rat-a***d.

Copper pointed out that despite breath test being negative if I tried to drive again he'd arrest me so I started walking. Once the policeman had left, I sighed in relief, lit a cigarette and leaned on the wall which wasn't there and fell in the ditch that was.
 It's Christmas - Pat
I'll hid this in here in the hope the anti caravan brigade don't see it (Sorry VX!)

We have had special permission to go to the caravan on a windswept Cornish cliff top this year as the site should be closed! The web cam is switched off too, so Cornwall CC won't see us:)

We're going down on Christmas Eve early and when we get there we have to put up the tree (18'' high) and decorate the van, I have even got a 'Please Santa, stop here' sign to put outside.....laugh away:)

Christmas Day will start with a full English breakfast followed by a visit to St Nunns Well and Duloe stone circle, then a paddle on a deserted beach and a breezy walk along the coast path.

Back to the van for Christmas Dinner as it gets dark and as usual, it may work when I try and cook, then again it may not but if all else fails I'm sure there'll be a chippy open in Plymouth somewhere!

Most of our favourite restaurants are doing Christmas lunch but we have chosen to be unsociable this year just as we've chosen to avoid the never ending question of who's family do we go to when!

Boxing Day will be spent comfort eating at one of the aforementioned favourite restaurants and then moving the caravan up to Bratton Clovelly to a new storage facility on the Sunday.

Pat

It's Christmas - Crankcase
Exactly the same as previous years. Working Christmas Eve, two people over for Christmas "lunch" which I shall cobble together, some sort of blobbing about on Boxing day probably watching Youtube videos and reading, maybe a walk if it's not too yukky, done.

I think you either get Christmas or you don't. I was telling my brother in law of forty years about working Christmas Eve last week, and he said he'd never worked one in his life, and I said I'd never not. We prefer to save the holiday and have it in June or something when you can actually do something with it.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 16 Dec 15 at 08:00
Me too Crankie. When I was ' in trade' it was 7 days a week from mid November until 10pm on the 24th....delivering customer special orders etc. all day in the warehouse on 26th then back to my normal hours on 27th.
There was always a last minute ski trip with friends mid January, depending on conditions in the Alps. Then wifey would want a week or so in warmer climes come February. I still miss working those hours in Nov/Dec, but don't honestly think I could physically work that hard now.
...I see the local paper has dubbed today "Black-eye Friday" :-(

(Seems it may be a phrase that appeared last year, but I missed it).

Can't say I'm a great fan of Christmas really (except in the "Bah, Humbug" sense), and the run-up shop-fest is a real turn-off.

SWMBO enjoys it though, and ever since the kids were small has invested a lot of effort making sure they enjoy it. Accordingly (so she got the best of her investment with time watching the kids open/play with their presents on Christmas morning), I took to preparing and cooking Christmas dinner, a tradition still maintained.

It gives me the opportunity to lock myself away in the kitchen for a few hours with a bottle or two.

Christmas, Bah, Humbug!
Latest Forum Posts