Non-motoring > 10 years ago Miscellaneous
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 9

10 years ago - nice but dim
I remember waking up to hearing this on the radio

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-34919922
 10 years ago - Zero
I remember seeing the smoke cloud passing over my house 30 miles away from the incident. I was so curious i turned to the radio to find out
 10 years ago - Bromptonaut
Second time this week I've had a that cannot be ten years moment. The other was in IKEA in MK which had posters up celebrating it's tenth anniversary.

Remember seeing the smoke plume from Buncefield from the train on commute to London and, i think on the Monday the glow of flames too. The subsequent inquiry was chaired by Lord Newton of Braintree with whom I had regular contact in quango land.
 10 years ago - bathtub tom
Three years previously was the Yarl's Wood immigration detention centre fire: tinyurl.com/qbbfzmu
I saw the smoke from that and half-jokingly commented they'd set it on fire, not realising they had!

At the time of Buncefield, I was regularly driving around Leighton Buzzard. I was surprised at how long it took to put out.
 10 years ago - Manatee
I live 11 miles away as the crow flies; it woke me up. Just after six (I looked at the clock) I woke and was aware of what sounded like a very strong wind. After a second or three it died away and assuming it was blowing a gale, I waited for the next gust, which of course never came. The explosion, which I didn't consciously hear, must have woken me.

I figured this out when I heard the news. At the time I worked a few hundred yards from the site, and although the building wasn't structurally damaged lots of ceilings came down and there was water damage from fractured pipes, cables disrupted, and so on.

Of course I had to go over to rubberneck (from a safe distance of about half a mile). Later we found out that someone we knew was driving on Cherry Trees Lane next to the site when his car stuttered to a halt. He got out and became aware of the fumes, figured out it was from the depot and he and a passenger legged in it the opposite direction before it went up. The car, a Passat IIRC, was burned out and appeared in the news pictures.
 10 years ago - sherlock47
The blast rattled the patio doors in the bedroom and woke us up, about 10 miles to the ESE. I remember on hearing what had happened checking the met office forecasts for prevailing wind to see if a speedy evacuation was necessary. I do not believe in the 'stay in indoors and close the windows' advice, much safer to disappear into the distance and ultimately get upwind! I vaguely remember some evil looking clouds, but most assed to the south of us IIRC.
 10 years ago - Runfer D'Hills
10 years ago, I was worrying about how to finance Christmas.

Nothing changes...

;-)

10 years ago - Zero
>> 10 years ago, I was worrying about how to finance Christmas.
>>
>> Nothing changes...

It does.

10 years ago it was "how" to finance christmas.

today its "why' you finance christmas.

10 years ago - Fursty Ferret
Woke me up in Leeds...
 10 years ago - Slidingpillar
Pah, I slept through the bang. Live about 5 miles as the crow flies from Buncefield too.

As the smoke plume was over my house, I used it an excuse to spend much of the weekend in London (had a gold card, so cost me nothing).
Latest Forum Posts