Non-motoring > Run, hide, tell Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 32

Run, hide, tell - smokie
It'd be easy to write a cynical intro to the Govt's video, released today, about what to do if you are caught up in a gun attack.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jxOXbpTmnk&feature=youtu.be

However, having watched it, it's not so bad, even though most of it is common sense.
 Run, hide, tell - Duncan
The organisation I work for gave us a briefing on this recently. One of the things we were told, that is not in that video, is to remove any clothing that identifies you as a member of staff or a person in authority.
 Run, hide, tell - Alanovich
Quite so. Hello, Mr Takagi.
 Run, hide, tell - R.P.
Not hard where I work.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 18 Dec 15 at 15:20
 Run, hide, tell - Runfer D'Hills
I was shot at in an attempted car jacking in Brazil many years ago. Car was hit but I wasn't. Fortunately I was able to drive it out of harms way. Pretty scary at the time though I don't mind admitting. Didn't even have time to change into a vest. Seems to me that if you're going to get caught up in these sorts of things you really ought be in a vest, or so the movies would have us believe.
 Run, hide, tell - R.P.
Just any old vest ?
 Run, hide, tell - tyrednemotional
...I'll stand behind Rab C Nesbitt, then.
I think it's better if its a slightly ripped vest. Although I'm no vest expert in truth, I don't think I've owned one since primary school. Americans wear vests but they call them something else. Odd coves Americans
 Run, hide, tell - Manatee
>> Odd coves Americans

Indeed. I think they call vessies (as favoured by Bruce Willis) "undershirts".

Vest of course means weskit. I think.
They call their jackets coats and their trousers pants too. No wonder they never seem to quite 'get' fashion. Likeable enough sorts mainly, but primitive when it comes to apparel.
 Run, hide, tell - Armel Coussine
They wear Bermuda shorts with a crease to look really smart.

I mean really... even my old beat writer buddy Seymour Krim, an excellent man.
What are those 'grit' things you get offered in diners anyway? Never dared agree to it, don't fancy eating grit.

Edit - oh and what's going on with their 'biscuits' eh?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 18 Dec 15 at 16:37
>> Never dared agree to it, don't fancy eating grit.

The name is offputting, but I had some once and they weren't gritty. Some sort of pancake I seem to remember.
 Run, hide, tell - CGNorwich
Sort of porridge stuff I think.
 Run, hide, tell - R.P.
Just don't ask for the toilet.
 Run, hide, tell - zippy
Won't be much good hiding because the police won't turn up to save you because they will be frightened of being arrested for killing the bad guys!

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/17/police-marksman-arrested-shooting-suspect-dead-wood-green

Run, hide, tell - Zero
>> Won't be much good hiding because the police won't turn up to save you because
>> they will be frightened of being arrested for killing the bad guys!
>>
>> www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/17/police-marksman-arrested-shooting-suspect-dead-wood-green

I suggest you wait till you know all the facts, or even any of the facts, before you reach a conclusion.
>> Just don't ask for the toilet.

Or the bog or the khazi or the thunderbox... crapper is good, but comfort station might be preferred in genteel company.
 Run, hide, tell - bathtub tom
>> Just don't ask for the toilet.

Or say you're going for a fag!
 Run, hide, tell - R.P.
Oh yes and that one.
 Run, hide, tell - Haywain
"What are those 'grit' things you get offered in diners anyway?"

Are 'grits' the same as 'gruts'?

youtu.be/XfsB41Ch244

Run, hide, tell - WillDeBeest
What are those 'grit' things you get offered in diners anyway? Never dared agree to it, don't fancy eating grit.

You won't be. It's a sort of cornmeal porridge. In North Carolina (maybe elsewhere) it comes with 'redeye gravy' which is a red blob of sauce in the centre of the bowl. Then you can have your biscuits (plain scones with their own 'cream gravy') your sausage (flat cakes of sausagemeat, unless you ask for 'link') plus your bacon (streaky, grilled to crumbly crisps) and your eggs done however. Then you just need a fork lift to get you out of your chair.
Yup, a decade or two of that will make you an all-American lardass. Those 'biscuits' are tasteless dry things though. Grits are (or is) much better.

This is all making me feel a bit hungry. I did love those piggy US breakfasts on the road.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 18 Dec 15 at 18:27
 Run, hide, tell - Zero
>> I was shot at in an attempted car jacking in Brazil many years ago.

I was shot at in McDonalds in Washington. Well I wasn't, the drug dealers standing outside the mcDonalds were shot at in a drive by. Being a drive by their aim was crap, none of the gang outside were hit, the windows in the Maccy D all disappeared, but no-one inside was hit either.

The holiday inn I was staying in nearby had a revolving steel reinforced door and an armed guard outside and in. I realise now why it was cheap.

Anyway, run, hide and tell seems like a good plan to me.
 Run, hide, tell - legacylad
With regard to Rest Rooms, do the Yanks understand the term 'going for a slash'? I have educated my CA friends to say ' I'm going to turn my bike round'. An expression garnered from a friend living in the Newcastle area.
Pointing Percy at the porcelain?
 Run, hide, tell - WillDeBeest
Some of my American colleagues have a dangerous fascination with British slang. I say dangerous because on my last visit I had to put them straight on the difference between a wazz and a - well, it's two thirds of a rotary engine. They now understand that, while in the context of excusing oneself from an informal meeting with the words, "I'm just going for a..." one W-word is rather more acceptable than the other.
 Run, hide, tell - Zero
Americans as a race are very unimaginative when it comes to developing slang.
 Run, hide, tell - Focusless
>> Some of my American colleagues have a dangerous fascination with British slang. I say dangerous
>> because on my last visit I had to put them straight on the difference between
>> a wazz and a - well, it's two thirds of a rotary engine.

Don't they remember Phil Collins in Miami Vice, season 2, episode 11?
miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Phil_the_Shill
 Run, hide, tell - Ian (Cape Town)
A few years back, a welsh farmer was so annoyed with the Red Arrows flying low over his farm that he painted on the barn roof 'P*** OFF BIGGLES'. (look it up - stunning pics!)
One American airman asked his RAF colleague: 'What is a Biggle?'
 Run, hide, tell - hjd
>> Pointing Percy at the porcelain?
>>
That one works for men only..
 Run, hide, tell - Rudedog
I still don't understand why they keep using the word Math instead of the correct MathS, also why have they invented the word 'dove' instead of using 'dived'?
 Run, hide, tell - R.P.
What about "inducted"....as in "inducted into the obesity hall of fame"...sounds wrong.
Latest Forum Posts