Non-motoring > "Translate this page" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 23

"Translate this page" - Ambo
I would like to be able to translate online French material into English. Sometimes it is possible to click on the above message at the top of the page. If it is not displayed, is there a way of getting a translation please?
 "Translate this page" - rtj70
You could always copy the text and paste into Google Translate.
 "Translate this page" - tyrednemotional
...depending on combination of browser and content, a right mouse-click on the page and then choose the "translate" option.

Otherwise, as above, use Google translate via cut and paste.
 "Translate this page" - Zero
It's a menu option in chrome browser
 "Translate this page" - Dog
Is it a menu option in the chrome browser??
 "Translate this page" - Clk Sec
From where?
....you have to hit the "post" button 4 times for it to appear.......

(It certainly isn't apparent on my version of Chrome, though the right-click as above does work. I believe in IE this also gives you the option to translate using Bing)
>> I believe in IE this also gives you the option to translate using Bing)

It does but Bing will not allow translation of "protected" areas, such as membership access.

Like other translation services, it does not have much grasp of French usage either. I tried putting "Dear Sirs" into Google Translate and got "Cher Sirs", whereas as "Messieurs" is correct. For "Yours faithfully" I got "Cordialement votre" but something like "Veuillez agreer, Messieurs, l'expression de me sentiments les plus profonds" is needed to round off a French business letter.

Apart from this, pasting multipage documents (such as are usually involved for me) into Google Translate is not practicable.
 "Translate this page" - Armel Coussine
If I knew it was a short document I'd offer to help, but it looks a bit open-ended. Charity has its limits. :o}
 "Translate this page" - PeterS
It would have been more impressive if Z's multiple posts had each been in a different language ;)
Last edited by: PeterS on Sat 19 Dec 15 at 13:02
you need to watch chrome however, it may be good at translating, but it does multiple posts.
 "Translate this page" - Cliff Pope
I'm sure we've all done the amusing trick of translating something familiar like a nursery rhyme into chinese or arabic and then back again.
Yeah, or something like. www.freetranslations .com gives this, English to French then that French into English:

A-My wife has gone missing
B-Ma femme est allée manquer
(Missing here is absente or disparue)
C-My woman went to lack

Using human translators who are native speakers and unknown to each other, it is a way of testing advertising text for a foreign market. Unless A and C are nearly identical the translation is defective.
 "Translate this page" - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Using human translators who are native speakers
>>

Someone who runs an international translation agency once told me that he always assigns a native speaker to the language that is being translated into. He maintained that no one, however fluent, can ever make a perfect translation two-way.
 "Translate this page" - hjd
My daughter is a translator. They will always translate into their native language.
Some nationalities (such as Finns) maintain that their language is too difficult for anyone other than a native Finn to be able to translate either way.
My daughter is most scathing of this, as she regularly has to correct Finns translating Finnish to English. Still, she gets paid for it.
>>If I knew it was a short document I'd offer to help, but it looks a bit open-ended

Thanks, Armel but it can indeed go on at length.
>>
>> Thanks, but Armel can indeed go on at length.

...there, I've corrected it for you!

;-)
>> Thanks, but Armel can indeed go on at length.

Far greater length than you can possibly imagine... bit early in the day to be tired and emotional though.

:o}
....after a 10 mile walk, I'm certainly tyred tired - the nemotional bit will have to wait 'til later, though.

;-)
Drink last night with a cousin of Herself at the other end of the drive. To my pleasure it turned out that she too had been insulted, ripped off and had her hard good work thrown away by the same unpleasant German-American woman publisher who once did much the same to me. God she was horrible... she even used her cancer as a sort of excuse for being an offensive thief. I'm glad she's dead, but her daughter inherited the business and is a chip off the ghastly old block.

Literary and artistic individuals are quite often naive about the business side and need agents to protect them. But agents who are able and willing to do that (instead of joining in the robbery and insults) are very rare.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 20 Dec 15 at 16:45
>> I'm glad she's dead, but her daughter inherited the business and is a chip off the ghastly old block.

The translation in question, by the way, was of clinical and other papers by a French child psychoanalyst. I was well qualified to do it having just come out of analysis myself. I know I did a very good job, but those two crooks hid behind an ugly wordless moron they called their 'editor'. Neither he nor they understood the text.

They still owe me 600 quid which I will of course never get. Whenever I remember the brutes I get in a towering rage which can keep me awake at night (yes, I could have done with a few more years in analysis, I don't deny it).

:o}
Latest Forum Posts