Non-motoring > Droning on in the US Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 18

Droning on in the US - smokie
"If you own a drone, you must register it with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry. A federal law effective December 21, 2015 requires unmanned aircraft registration, and you are subject to civil and criminal penalties if you do not register."

ALL drones need to be registered. For failure to do so "civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years"

I guess given the potential for dangerous, intrusive or otherwise offensive flying this is the way to go.

www.faa.gov/uas/registration/
 Droning on in the US - Ambo
Give their potential for bomb delivery, I think they should be licensed for government use only.
 Droning on in the US - CGNorwich
>> Give their potential for bomb delivery, I think they should be licensed for government use
>> only.
>>

Yep. Now they have to register them no law abiding terrorist is going to consider using one.
 Droning on in the US - Zero
>> Give their potential for bomb delivery, I think they should be licensed for government use
>> only.

As most bombs are delivered by car Looks like you will have to give that up as well then.
 Droning on in the US - Ian (Cape Town)
I'm not scared of the bombing, I'm scared of some p***ed-up redneck with his $500 drone totally ignoring/unaware of any safety regs, and dropping one of these things onto a beach full or nuns and orphans.
 Droning on in the US - Zero
>> I'm not scared of the bombing, I'm scared of some p***ed-up redneck with his $500
>> drone totally ignoring/unaware of any safety regs, and dropping one of these things onto a
>> beach full or nuns and orphans.
>
Oh go for the Daily Mail headline why dont you!
 Droning on in the US - WillDeBeest
Those aren't nuns, you idiot, they're penguins.
One must laugh.
The problem is that this is a sweeping regulation which catches everyone - the chaps who've been flying drones commercially and safely for years are lumped in with the $500-from-walmart crew, who don't have a clue.
Hence the nuns/orphans remark - when some drone goes haywire (they don't like line-of-sight microwave links, by the way) and crashes into a crowd, guaranteed it'll be made into, as you say a ' Daily Mail headline'.
 Droning on in the US - Ambo
Obviously a ban would not stop wrongdoers but would restrict their access to over-the-counter technology to help them. As for bomb delivery, if drones can be used for parcels they can be used for anything of equivalent weight.
 Droning on in the US - Cliff Pope
>> if drones can be used for parcels they
>> can be used for anything of equivalent weight.
>>

You can send a bomb in an ordinary parcel. You have to declare it at the PO counter of course, and it may be on their list of prohibited items.
 Droning on in the US - zippy
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/35164700

Amazing near miss and could have been very nasty.
 Droning on in the US - Pat
You must be watching the same TV News as I am Zippy but mine is with morning coffee and I bet you're off to bed!

Pat
 Droning on in the US - rtj70
>> mine is with morning coffee and I bet you're off to bed!

2am for most people is not morning. Hats off to you Pat if the is a regular thing.
 Droning on in the US - zippy
>> You must be watching the same TV News as I am Zippy but mine is
>> with morning coffee and I bet you're off to bed!
>>
>> Pat
>>

Just finishing a few things off for work before I go on holiday.

I have set off at between 2 and 3 in the morning where I have had to be at the other end of the country for a meeting. Never have liked doing it!

Safe driving Pat, especially in this 'orrible rain and winds that we have been having recently.

Droning on in the US - Pat
It is a regular thing for me but I do prefer it.

It's the reason I'm never around on here in the evenings when you all get out of hand without my calming influence:)

Tomorrow will be even earlier as we're aiming to leave for a 5/6 hour drive to Cornwall and would like to beat the traffic and the bad weather forecast.

I've been tasked with the first driving shift as I 'push on a bit more' in Ian's words so I'm quite looking forward to that!

Pat
I wrote above, and was pooh-poohed...

"when some drone goes haywire (they don't like line-of-sight microwave links, by the way) and crashes ..."

Yep, World ski event, much satellite coverage and big dishes.

If said drone flies through the invisible beam, Oh dear... drps like a stone.
 Droning on in the US - Focusless
>> Yep, World ski event, much satellite coverage and big dishes.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/35164700
We MAY be on to something - one x drone; one x Turkey hanging on a string, fly in front of a broadcast truck... SORTED!
 Droning on in the US - Focusless
>> >> Yep, World ski event, much satellite coverage and big dishes.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/35164700

oops sorry - didn't spot link had already been posted
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 23 Dec 15 at 13:59
Latest Forum Posts