Non-motoring > Attendance allowance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 5

Attendance allowance - legacylad
An elderly relative has finally received a letter confirming she will be eligible. I won't be seeing her, or the letter, until next week but initial inter web search leads me to believe it is tax free. I think the amount is around £82 pw which helps pay for the people who visit daily and look after her.
At 97 yo she is still in her own home...pretty impressive.
 Attendance allowance - Bromptonaut
It is indeed tax free. There are two rates of which £82.30 is the higher - your relative will need help both day and night. If she gets, or narrowly misses getting, pension credit then sif she lives alone and nobody gets Carers Allowance for her then she should get a severe disability premium (SDP ) worth £61.85.

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/pension-credit-pc

Rules around the SDP are complex and it may be worth seeking advice from CAB or A N other body.
 Attendance allowance - legacylad
Many thanks Bromp. That is what I thought when I looked it up. She is my 97yo Aunt, was in business all her life, and I have no dea what her income is! She is still remarkably financially astute, has income from several pensions and has a local IFA , whom I know & trust, visit her monthly. He is a friend of mine and lives around the corner from her tiny two bed flat, which I value around £90k, but is incredibly old fashioned inside.
I think she was worried that because of her current income, which I have no idea of, she would have to pay tax on the new attendance allowance. One of her many carers imparted this info. Doubtless the people who do her tax return will put her mind at rest....amazing that at her age she worries about the possibility of paying a bit more tax!

Merry Christmas
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 24 Dec 15 at 14:19
 Attendance allowance - R.P.
Bromp.

Been in my operational in my new job for the last 6 working days. VS uses a version very similar to PETRA (Microsoft Dynamics) but with some enhancements ! Felt in my comfort zone today giving benefits' advice to a caller !
 Attendance allowance - Bromptonaut
>> Bromp.
>>
>> Been in my operational in my new job for the last 6 working days. VS
>> uses a version very similar to PETRA (Microsoft Dynamics) but with some enhancements ! Felt
>> in my comfort zone today giving benefits' advice to a caller !

Hope you're enjoying it Rob.

My paid work is on a contract with a utility company, assessing applicants for their social tariff. No longer using Petra for that. An in house trainer/tech adapted something called Chaos Intellect to do the CRM stuff instead - works very well.

www.chaossoftware.com/
 Attendance allowance - MD
Elderly close relative here in similar situation but without the 'worry' of income. Just be careful whom you or she trusts. There are very plausible crooked folk out there. Just saying. Have a good one and stuff the ruddy Turkeeee!
Latest Forum Posts