Non-motoring > Hypochondriasis Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 25

Hypochondriasis - Armel Coussine
I am something of a hypochondriac although not particularly stupid, ignorant or hysterical. I make regular use of a blood pressure monitor whose accuracy isn't established.

Generally speaking my BP according to the monitor is 'optimal' on both measures, systolic being a little higher than diastolic as a rule. My heart rate however is fairly high, 84 or 85.

There can't be much doubt that a lifetime of steady, although not grossly excessive, drink and multiple drug use would have affected these measurements, I can't help suspecting for the better, just as excessive, iron self-discipline must blight and shorten many lives. Three score and 17 so far, most of the organism still more or less working properly. This can't be all that unusual surely? I must have the luck of the devil. I survived a life-threatening ear infection when young and almost certainly still carry a (by now very etiolated) malaria parasite which has been with me for 60 years or more.

Perhaps I retain a measure of superstition. Is this post asking for trouble, a sudden stroke or heart attack to put me in my place? I hope not; I hope it won't hurt when it comes.
 Hypochondriasis - John Boy
>> Perhaps I retain a measure of superstition. Is this post asking for trouble, a sudden stroke or heart attack to put me in my place? I hope not; I hope it won't hurt when it comes.
>>
Is it true to say that most of us are unafraid of death, just the process which might lead up to it?
 Hypochondriasis - Runfer D'Hills
I had a aunt, my father's younger brother's wife. She had everything at one time or another apparently. Every ailment most could think of and some hitherto unknown to medical science ( according to her anyway ) I can remember no time as a child when she was ever feeling quite well.

She outlived the lot of them...
 Hypochondriasis - Runfer D'Hills
I hate spellcheckers.
 Hypochondriasis - Harleyman
>> I had a aunt, my father's younger brother's wife. She had everything at one time
>> or another apparently. Every ailment most could think of and some hitherto unknown to medical
>> science ( according to her anyway ) I can remember no time as a child
>> when she was ever feeling quite well.
>>
>> She outlived the lot of them...
>>

Similar with a great-uncle of mine; always "dying nicely" as they say in Nottinghamshire, lived to be 96. The creaking gate hangs longest.
 Hypochondriasis - Lygonos
>> always "dying nicely" as they say in Nottinghamshire

"enjoys poor health" as I would say.
 Hypochondriasis - tyrednemotional
I'd certainly like prefer to go in my sleep like my Uncle.......

....not screaming and shouting like his passengers.

;-)
I know someone who spends most of his time in the British Museum library looking for the latest research on his imagined ailments. Everyone who knows him can see that he's one of the healthiest and fittest individuals walking (and cycling) the planet. I think that probably puts your hypochondria in the milld bracket, AC. Carry on enjoying yourself.

:)
 Hypochondriasis - Robin O'Reliant
I've suffered from hypochondria for years.

It's a miracle I'm still here.
 Hypochondriasis - Cliff Pope

>> >>
>> Is it true to say that most of us are unafraid of death,

No
>> Is it true to say that most of us are unafraid of death,
>>
>> No
>>
If you knew that your lights would suddenly go out, without warning, what is there to be afraid of?
 Hypochondriasis - CGNorwich
How can you worry about being dead? It's the same as not being born and you were't worrying about that were you?

Dying on the other hand can be a messy and drawn out process, especially on the NHS.
 Hypochondriasis - smokie
...As opposed to at the hands of the Mafia,. ISIS or BUPA? :-)
 Hypochondriasis - CGNorwich
You have a point. They're all much the same and best avoided.
 Hypochondriasis - Dutchie
My wife uses the bloodpressure contrapcion on me once in a blue moon.I have gone through so many near misses from being a toddler to adult.If the time is up so be it.Iam very fit now walk every day don't drink or smoke.Don't want to be run over by a bus do.I have drank and smoked plenty in past times and payd the price.Good luck A.C.
 Hypochondriasis - Westpig
>> If the time is up
>> so be it.

That's how I feel.

The only thing beyond that i'd wish for is for me to see my kids well into adulthood... and I started late in life in that department.

Hypochondriasis - Fursty Ferret
>> My heart rate however is fairly high, 84 or 85.

Normal resting heart rates range from 60 - 100, so wouldn't be worried.
 Hypochondriasis - Roger.
I'm not a hypochondriac - I just suffer.
Blooming gout in the knuckles of both hands has now struck.
 Hypochondriasis - sooty123

>> Blooming gout in the knuckles of both hands has now struck.
>>

That'll be the luxury life of pensioners, all that fine living!

;)
I like gout - it's about the only arthritis I can actually cure.
 Hypochondriasis - Duncan
>> I like gout - it's about the only arthritis I can actually cure.
>>

How?
Using medication to reduce the uric acid level.

Can be difficult with people who also need meds such as diuretics and high blood pressure tablets but in majority of cases can be managed well.

>> Using medication to reduce the uric acid level.

>> Can be difficult with people who also need meds such as diuretics and high blood pressure tablets but in majority of cases can be managed well.

Just as well I haven't got gout then. No swollen joints or anything like that, just a bit of rheumatic-type pain in my hands, nothing serious, quite bearable and no manual weakness when for example heavy things are to be moved. So far so good.
 Hypochondriasis - Roger.
I had gout in the "traditional" place - the big toe on my left foot. It struck as we were returning from the UK to Spain.
The long, long, walk at AGP from the arrivals gate to the passport inspection and exit to the parking was absolute agony.
That was circa 2006/7/8 ? and I've been on Allopurinal ever since.
The toe has been OK, but this latest bout will see me visiting my GP early in January to see if the dosage needs increasing or altering at all.
>>The toe has been OK, but this latest bout will see me visiting my GP early in January to see if the dosage needs increasing or altering at all.

Easy to check - blood test for uric acid level should be under 0.30 for good control.

Usual dose of allopurinol to prevent flares is somewhere between 100 and 900mg daily - 300-600 would be typical.

Oddly enough an acute attack can lower the level a bit so sometimes best to recheck after a few weeks if the level seems ok at the time of a flare-up.

You can also get a mini flare-up after increasing the allopurinol dose (thought to be caused by crystals of uric acid being released from the surface of the joint into the fluid when the level starts to drop in the bloodstream) and if that happens don't reduce the dose - it should settle back down after a few days.

(Also might not be gout since it's in both hands at the same time, unless there's obvious crystals under the skin, so a check over by the quack would be sensible).

For educational purposes: www.pcds.org.uk/clinical-guidance/gouty-tophi
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 31 Dec 15 at 15:51
My rich, high-living and lamented late Irish uncle-by-marriage had gout in a big toe. He was a stoical man, much caressed by daughters and sisters, but the toe was a great trial to him and bad for his temper.

There's a lot of truth in those old cartoons of a choleric old geezer with a hugely bandaged foot resting on a cushion, with zigzag rays of pain radiating from it. Not just Dandy and Beano but Punch too used the image.

One forgets of course how much recent progress has been made in controlling or eliminating pain. One is programmed to forget intense pain as soon as possible, seems to me. Takes an effort of imagination to recall it.
Latest Forum Posts