Non-motoring > Kindle Paperwhite for a non-computer user Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 10

Kindle Paperwhite for a non-computer user - Rudedog
Hopefully this hasn't been a big mistake...

My wife and family have bought her father a Kindle Paperwhite, his eye-sight is failing with wet OMD and we hoped that he could carry on reading by increasing the fontsize.

He has no computer but we planned to load the books using either our wifi or public libraries.

But it looks like he needs to have an email address to complete the registration process, is there a way around this or what can we do?

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Dec 15 at 01:59
 Kindle Paperwhite for a non-computer user - rtj70
>> He has no computer but we planned to load the books using either our wifi or public libraries.

You could buy the books on Amazon and download them on your wifi for him. I don't think Kindle's are compatible with the lending libraries because they don't support the format used. Things may have changed but that was the case. What you should have done was bought the 3G version of the Kindle Paperwhite and then it could download books via the 3G phone network anywhere in the world.

>> But it looks like he needs to have an email address to complete the registration process

You need to have an account setup on Amazon for the Kindle. Perhaps you can use your email address because it will be you that's going to be buying books.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 26 Dec 15 at 19:57
Thanks for that, we just had the same idea and have used my wife's email address, next snag is that my wife already has a Kindle so it has registered it as her second Kindle, which was ok but it turns out that you can't buy the same book twice! so he won't be able to read the same books as my wife or is there a trick to transfer them across (we were quite happy to pay twice).

Re the library - he hoped just to use their wifi as a free hotspot to do the downloads.
 Kindle Paperwhite for a non-computer user - Zero
>> Thanks for that, we just had the same idea and have used my wife's email
>> address, next snag is that my wife already has a Kindle so it has registered
>> it as her second Kindle, which was ok but it turns out that you can't
>> buy the same book twice! so he won't be able to read the same books
>> as my wife or is there a trick to transfer them across (we were quite
>> happy to pay twice).

You can transfer books from device to device if they are registered to the same Amazon account. They can however only exist on one device at a time.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 26 Dec 15 at 20:38
 Kindle Paperwhite for a non-computer user - CGNorwich

They can however only exist on one device at a time.
>>

I'm sure they can exist on multiple devices

However if two people are reading the same book on different devices you need to turn of synchronisation as it it wil be a bit annoying.

you need to log into in to your Amazon account and visit the "Manage Your Kindle" page to switch off the synchronization.
 Kindle Paperwhite for a non-computer user - R.P.
They work across registered devices.
 Kindle Paperwhite for a non-computer user - rtj70
You can certainly have a book on more than one device. I read books on the phone and Kindle and page location is synchronised. That's your issue so turn off Whispersync on this Kindle.

There's a limit to the total downloads to some books - some of my technical/IT books will no longer download to new devices.
Cheers all.

De-synched the wife's Kindle, then download the few books that they wanted to share from the Cloud to his Device.

Just means money for purchased books will be done with cash between them.

Seems the best way for someone who has no access to the internet or a computer.
 Kindle Paperwhite for a non-computer user - Crankcase
Couldn't you make a throwaway email account with gmail, put that in his kindle, then turn on Amazon household sharing? Then both devices will see all the books from each other at no extra cost. So your wife just downloads what he wants in hers, and pays for it, and it pops up on his without him having to do anything at all.

We do that between our devices. Don't usually want to read what the Mrs has downloaded or she mine, but sometimes we do, and it works fine.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 27 Dec 15 at 08:16
I guess so, I did think about making 'dead' email but I didn't know if it would ever be needed/used by Amazon for updates etc.

Hopefully this will work, it's difficult just trying to teach someone who is 85 and has no experience of computers how to connect to wifi at a hotspot (they live 70 miles away).

We've put loads of free and paid for books on so hopefully that will keep him going for a while.
 Kindle Paperwhite for a non-computer user - Ian (Cape Town)

>> We've put loads of free and paid for books on so hopefully that will keep
>> him going for a while.
>>

if you use calibre-ebook as a load-up programme, and then nab stuff from ebook3000*, bookzz** etc, you can solve a huge amount problems.

*- unfortunately one has to trawl through tons of smut on the homepage, but the various categories are worth searching.
** ditto - lots of religious treatises.
Latest Forum Posts