Non-motoring > New Years Eve Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 18

New Years Eve - legacylad
I think I've only seen in the New Year five times since 2000. Even when skiing abroad I'm that pooped after a full day ( I try to be on the last lift) a few drinks, some food, and invariably out for the count by 11 latest. Where I live the local pubs are heaving with part time drinkers, so I leave around 8pm. A curry with friends, a few more drinks at someone's house then home before midnight. It's not just me because a lot of my friends are the same...we might be leaving for a full days walking in the Lakes by 8am, and my cycling friends will be away at 9am. Keeping an eye on the weather at the moment.
A few years ago I stayed wth my CA friends and we were all in bed at 10pm...( not together). Up at 6 to leave for Sierra ski resort, be on the first lift and make fresh tracks. Nothing worse than crowded pubs, drunks and enforced jollity. Give me tired legs, wind burn and an early night every time.
All the best
Mr Curmudgeon
 New Years Eve - Zero
Its a lock-in for me at a pub local to friends on the edge of southampton water.
Recently left a couple of my local pubs at 1am. No crowds, slurred conversation with friends, free nibbles and the landlord lets us bring in our own food to put on the bar... Pies, chutneys etc. and he lets us play the music of our choice via his laptop behind the bar.
My kind of evening
 New Years Eve - Robin O'Reliant
Up at 5:35 New Years Day so no "Seeing it in" for me.

Just as well, I find the whole shebang utterly depressing, I can't get excited about it. So the date changes? It does every night of the year and we don't go mad over it.
 New Years Eve - smokie
As usual, we're hosting the regular small NYE bash for a handful of neighbours - usually 5 or 6 couples. Doesn't get too out of hand but there are three or four of the men who would be not good for driving the next morning. I spend ages prepping music though this is better this year as I kept all last years' music and playlists which gives me a head start...
 New Years Eve - Ian (Cape Town)
working tonight*, tomorrow night and 1 January.
noon til 8.
Nice money for it.

* - thanks England! Bowling the locals out by lunchtime. No waiting for the close-of-play report post 6pm!
 New Years Eve - Dog
BIG night for me NYE - be ending my 7 day juice fast. Up 15 mins after Reliant Rebel día siguiente.
Did you lose any weight? Or did you need to lose any? I'm starting my alternate day juice diet early Jan. and going to try it for ten days. And give up meat for those ten days. And give up alcohol Monday to Thursday. Fortunately I am strong willed, except after beer when I arrive home with the munchies.
I lost a stone in 18 days whilst backpacking this summer, had no alcohol, and felt disgustingly fit. But then I returned to civilisation. The lure of cheap Mexican food and home made margeritas was too strong!
 New Years Eve - Runfer D'Hills
For me anyway, it's about managing our expectations. We live in such a hyped society that we expect everything to be perfect, whether it be weddings, Christmas gatherings, birthdays, holidays or whatever. When they don't meet those high standards we have set ourselves we are unnecessarily disappointed.

Certain dates are traditionally set aside for mass celebration, taking part is not compulsory nor is it absolutely essential to indulge in the highest levels of hedonism to enjoy them.

We will mark the occasion of New Year in some way but it won't involve intentional excess ( however if unintentional excess occurs we won't strenuously resist it ) ;-)

For me, it's about setting out to embrace the event quietly ( some nicer than usual food, drink and the addition of some friends ) and with limited expectations of anything other than a convivial evening followed by a welcome public holiday to follow.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 30 Dec 15 at 13:56
 New Years Eve - Roger.
Agree it's just a date - like Xmas, birthdays , Mother's Day, Father's Day blah, blah and any other fancy holiday dreamt up by commerce to fill their coffers.
 New Years Eve - Ian (Cape Town)
Yep. And you left out EASTER!
Pound to a pinch of snuff that the Easter Eggs will be out next week.

Any excuse to sell overpriced tat.
ie Feb 14 - St Hallmark's Day (St hallmark is the patron saint of florists, restauranteurs and barmen, by the way)

That's probably why suddenly the 'Anglo' world has embraced the High School Prom, 'trick or treat', Black Friday and other cretinous Septic moneygrabbing practices.
 New Years Eve - Cliff Pope
>> Agree it's just a date -
>>
>>

And a very recent one at that. Until 1752 the year began on 25 March, when new Year's Eve on the 24th would have been just as arbitrary.
Also I think some cultures, and remoter Scottish islands, still celebrate Old New Year's Day (and Christmas Day, etc) 13 days later than the rest of Europe, not recognising the 11 (by now 13) days "stolen" in 1752.
A local farmer (west Wales) told me that Old Barley Saturday was a better traditional day for sowing barley.

Also of course HMRC still refuse to recognise the calendar changes.
Runfer has hit the nail on the head. It has never been in my chemistry to get overly excited by holidays etc friends seem amazed that I rarely think about a holiday until the day arrives.

Spontaneous events are always enjoyed far more by myself... Be it a curry with friends after a couple of pints. Suddenly deciding to visit the cinema on a wet Sunday afternoon, or just jump on an early afternoon bus and have convivial drinks with friends in a nice small town up the road.

In my experience heightened expectations often lead to minor disappointment
 New Years Eve - RattleandSmoke
I am out NYE, the night will be a little bit different to others, but at the end of the day it is just a night out for me.

I also agree that spontaneous nights out or holidays are always far better than ones that have been planned. I find I do get very excited about my first holiday abroad in the year but I get far less excited about the second one.

New Years Eve - Robin O'Reliant
>> >> >>
>> And a very recent one at that. Until 1752 the year began on 25 March,
>> when new Year's Eve on the 24th would have been just as arbitrary.
>> Also I think some cultures, and remoter Scottish islands, still celebrate Old New Year's Day
>> (and Christmas Day, etc) 13 days later than the rest of Europe, not recognising the
>> 11 (by now 13) days "stolen" in 1752.
>> A local farmer (west Wales) told me that Old Barley Saturday was a better traditional
>> day for sowing barley.
>>
>> Also of course HMRC still refuse to recognise the calendar changes.
>>

In Pembrokeshire's Gwaun Valley New Years Day is celebrated on 13th January.
 New Years Eve - tyrednemotional
>> In Pembrokeshire's Gwaun Valley New Years Day is celebrated on 13th January.

....and this year it will be 1916......
 New Years Eve - Dog
>>Did you lose any weight? Or did you need to lose any?

I feel lighter, but I've not weighed myself. I've not eaten any meat, poultry, or fish since xmas eve. I've not had any alcohol either. On the 2nd day I had an awful headache due to not having any caffeine either - I felt sick too, so I went back on the Assam. I've not stuck solely to juice, I have a couple of slices of toast for brekkie, then a veg smoothie mid-morning. Veg soup with bread for lunch, fruit with natural bio yogurt mid afternoon, then a HUGE salad with various nuts for dins. Feel quite well, walking 2 hours per day - inc. hill work.

I could do a juice-only job, but it's the wrong time of the year IMO, now if I was in Los Cris :)

Your idea of alternative day juice fasting sounds good. Some folk just have one 'proper' meal per day.
Fruit/veg smoothies, then an evening meal. Cliff Richard just has the one meal per day, allegedly, and he looks well ... in the wallet.
If I was in LC I would be one one euro pints of San Miguel. Loony juice.
It's thirsty work sea swimming. And watching beach volleyball....
 New Years Eve - Dog
>>And watching beach volleyball....

Especialmente the beach volleyball ;)

This'll do me: www.canarylive24.com/#!webcam-live-playa-las-vistas/cije
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 30 Dec 15 at 15:53
Latest Forum Posts