Just because I live abroad... - Zero
And whats your perfect example?

Two fried eggs - runny yellows
Two slices Bacon
Two sausages
Fried Button Mushrooms
Slice of a good Black Pudding
Baked Beans
Hash Browns (or thinly sliced sauté potatoes)
Two toast with breakfast (to raft your fried eggs on)

Two Toast butter with an english thick cut marmalade

NO TOMATOES

And the Little Chef Olympic Breakfast is one of the best examples of its kind - all griddled, tho pricy
 Just because I live abroad... - No FM2R
>the Little Chef Olympic Breakfast

Absolutely.

Also;

The Gorge in Caversham
The Transport Cafe on the A5 by Towcester

and more...
 Just because I live abroad... - Duncan
What about the fried bread?

I had a doctor's appointment, followed by a dentist's appointment this morning, as a reward to myself I had a Traditional Breakfast in The Regent in Walton. V. nice, but no fried bread. £2.19.
 Just because I live abroad... - Bromptonaut
>> Slice of a good Black Pudding

Genuine question.

What do folks regard as a good black pudding?

Personally I'd go for the Scots/Irish variety like:

charlesmacleod.co.uk/black-pudding.aspx

But some folks probably prefer the Black Country or Lancashire versions. Or even French Boudin Noir.

A round of Ecky Thump to decide the winner?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuP1eycaA6c

(and yes, I've seen that the clip involves a 'blacked up' actor playing a boxer)
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 30 Dec 15 at 19:21
 Just because I live abroad... - Alastairw
Bury black pud, ftw. Fried bread not required, as toast does that job. Toast served almost cold, thick layer of lightly salted butter, a little Dundee marmalade. What's that shooting pain in my left arm....?
 Just because I live abroad... - CGNorwich
I could contemplate eating an element of that lot, say a fried egg on toast or some bacon and fried tomatoes for lunch but eating the whole lot in the morning really does not appeal. Some toast and marmalade suffices
 Just because I live abroad... - PeterS
As a late breakfast/brunch at the weekend then a cooked breakfast can be very satisfying, and obviate the need or lunch and, sometimes, dinner!

My preference is a couple of rashers of grilled bacon, one (proper, meaty) sausage, grilled mushroom, sauteed potatoes (lots of salt!!), poached eggs, baked beans and (homemade) granary toast, slightly cold, with unsalted butter and Bonne Maman marmalade (which, in its coarse form is remarkably similar to the marmalade my Grandmother used to make!!). I'll have a tomato if they're nice tasty ones, and occasionally black pudding as well However we are less likely to have that knocking around. In fact, as its New Years Eve tomorrow I think we might have a late breakfast...and an early drink ;)

Just because I live abroad... - Dog
>>What do folks regard as a good black pudding?

No black pudding.
 Just because I live abroad... - bathtub tom
>>Slice of a good Black Pudding

I used to like black pudding until I experienced a portion in a chippy around Haverigg. A fist-sized knobbly lump of the stuff, must've weighed around a pound. Couldn't face it again for years.

I know what black pudding's made from, so what's white pudding?
Black pudding without the blood
 Just because I live abroad... - Runfer D'Hills
When I first met my wife, who hails from Cheshire, ( I was at that time new to the area ) she invited me the a barbecue at her parent's house which was being held in celebration of something or someone, or someone or something's something, but at any rate involved a lot of people.

The point though was that upon appearing plate in hand to receive a sausage or other piece of meat I was passed a slice of raw black pudding. Being a polite sort of chap I as jovially as I could,mentioned that it must have been at the cooler end of the barbecue and could I have a piece which was cooked please?

Blank stare from aproned future father in law ensued. Awkward silence prevailed. Confusion reigned. Apparently, or so I later discovered, one eats raw black pudding hereabouts.

I am still unconvinced and find ways of avoiding it.

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 30 Dec 15 at 19:57
I can remember eating back pudding "raw" as a kid. It's not actually raw as it has already been boiled.
I've had it served both ways, but as I only consider it edible when fried or griddled, I only ever have it for breakfast. Black Pudding at a BBQ? WTF!
>> Black Pudding at a BBQ?

Yeah well, it is 'different' here, I've even seen mushy peas served with a Christmas dinner.

And, what's more, I know you won't believe this, but I promise it's true, seen it with my own eyes and everything, no really I have...screw top wine bottles !

;-)

>> The point though was that upon appearing plate in hand to receive a sausage or
>> other piece of meat I was passed a slice of raw black pudding.

Served in same way with sandwiches etc at a pub near Bradwell (Staffs) Crematorium at the wake for my late sister out law.
 Just because I live abroad... - tyrednemotional
...all you oldies, just don't do your bowel cancer test directly after such consumption.

;-)
>> ...all you oldies, just don't do your bowel cancer test directly after such consumption.
>>
>> ;-)

Directly should be OK; 24-36 hrs beforehand is the chancy bit....
 Just because I live abroad... - helicopter

Those of delicate constitution do not read on.....

60 years or so ago I can recall a pig strung up and killed on the farm and my job was to hold the jug to catch the still warm blood from the cut throat of the pig for the black pudding as it screamed its last.

.......it did not put me off eating it then but it tends to be too spicy for me these days.......
 Just because I live abroad... - R.P.
Where I work has a very cheap canteen/cafe. It does bean to cup coffee - bacon and sausage rolls every morning and a full **** off fried breakfast. Termed a "payday breakfast" the so called full monty costs a couple of quid. Not indulged yet...only a matter of time now though.
 Just because I live abroad... - Roger.
I hate to give credit to those pesky foreigners :-) (JOKE) but some of the best black puds I have eaten are Spanish morcilla, especially the Andalucian softer sort with pine nuts in them.
The harder northern type are filled with rice and not so good.
British made black pudding was a staple of mine many years ago in my bachelor, flat sharing days, when it was VERY cheap.
Sadly now a decent British black pud. rarely comes in rings, but a lesser version is seen in vacuum sealed and/or cellophane wrapped slices on a supermarket shelf.
A good pork butcher, if you can find one, especially in the Midlands, is probably the best supply bet.
 Just because I live abroad... - legacylad
Plenty of black pudding available at my local butchers. Also available in a local, smallish chain, supermarket.
Occasionally I will toast a crumpet, spread a little proper butter, then a poached egg, then a slice of fried black pudd, topped off with green Tabasco.
Only when I have guests, and want to show off. The alternative Sunday bfast menu is blueberry pancakes ( using Krusteaz buttermilk mix) icing sugar, sliced strawberries and lashings of maple syrup with a side of smoked streaky dry cured bacon and two eggs easy over.
Not bad for a Yorkshire lad living in upper Ribblesdale
 Just because I live abroad... - Ted

Mug ( china ) of good, strong cafetiere coffee. Followed by another 30 mins later. ( and another pee ! )

That's all.
Mug of strong black coffee for me too Ted, usually with a bowl of Muesli and a glass of fresh orange juice. Wouldn't especially thank anyone for a fried breakfast except on a very rare occasion and only then if I don't have to be anywhere special or do anything useful immediately afterwards. Tastes ok I suppose in the right circumstances but almost inevitably leads to raging indigestion and a feeling of bloatedness and lethargy before the day has even started. Then there's the thirst from the salt in the food. It all becomes more of a trial than a pleasure in the end.

If I'm going to have a hot breakfast I favour a piece of poached haddock and a poached egg on a slice of crusty brown bread, but that's such a faff to organise that I tend to wait until I'm in a hotel to bother with that. Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs is ok too.

Just because I live abroad... - Pat
You missed the best bit...the fried slice fried in bacon fat in a hot pan.

That would be Jacks Hill Café Mark, and still as good today!

Pat
 Just because I live abroad... - No FM2R
I reckon the first time i went there Pat, would've been around 1972 ish.

The last time i was there was about two years ago.

And in all that time i think the only thing to change was the state of the car park
 Just because I live abroad... - Pat
Yes:) If I parked there overnight I never could get the cab level!!

Pat
 Just because I live abroad... - Ian (Cape Town)
>> And in all that time i think the only thing to change was the state
>> of the car park
>>
Do they still have the red sauce dispensers in the shape of a large tomato?
Sooo 70s!
>> >> And in all that time i think the only thing to change was the
>> state
>> >> of the car park
>> >>
>> Do they still have the red sauce dispensers in the shape of a large tomato?
>> Sooo 70s!

In some places yes. It made a comeback as retro kitsch.

I upset someone the other day (yes I know surprise surprise) by describing their new kitchen/dining room as "looks just like the 1970s Golden Egg in Slough" It was actually meant as a compliment, but it turns out that wasn't the effect they were after.
>>Do they still have the red sauce dispensers in the shape of a large tomato?
Sooo 70s!

I used to nick borrow those, and the yellow mustard ones from the Wimpey bar down the Walworth Rd.

Just saying like.

:}
 Just because I live abroad... - Clk Sec
Large bowl of fresh fruit topped with natural yoghurt, followed by a couple of slices of toast (home made bread, of course) and Dundee orange marmalade.

Healthy and delicious. Yum, yum...
>>Wimpey bar

That would be Wimpy Bar then doggles.!
There's a Wimpy opposite my office.
I haven't been there in years - the food and service is dreadful.
Maybe I should pop in and see if they have them in there?
I used to enjoy a Wimpy now and again. I'd often have a Wimpy special grill followed by a knickerbocker glory when I'd pulled orf a particularly successful blag. :o)

I well-remember driving from near Blackfriars Br. (Bankside) where we lived to Lower Regent St. for a McDonalds when they first opened - disgusting things IMHO.

>> I well-remember driving from near Blackfriars Br. (Bankside) where we lived to Lower Regent St.
>> for a McDonalds when they first opened - disgusting things IMHO.

The second McD's in the UK I think, The first was in Woolwich. Renowned for bad taste those south londoners
 Just because I live abroad... - bathtub tom
Didn't Wimpy become Burger King, or did the franchise tend to buy them up?
 Just because I live abroad... - Skip
>> Didn't Wimpy become Burger King, or did the franchise tend to buy them up?
>>

Wimpy still exist, but some could have been sold off to Burger King possibly.
Wimpy are still very big in South Africa I believe.
Howls about Popeye, is e'e still about??
>> Wimpy are still very big in South Africa I believe.
>> o.
definitely taking a kicking from Burger King, McDs and 'homegrown' places like Steers and Spur.
But have some prime sites, especially on the long intercity routes and at airports.
Still one of the better burgers, and their breakfasts after a few hours 'on the road' are pretty good after a 4am start...
>>Renowned for bad taste those south Londoners

Especially those whom partake of 3 x double pie & mash, I hear.
 Just because I live abroad... - R.P.
Two branches in Liverpool !!! TWO !!!!!
Wot pie shops or Wimpy Bars?
 Just because I live abroad... - Clk Sec
>> Especially those whom partake of 3 x double pie & mash, I hear.
>>

That would be lunch, after his Perfect Example breakfast posted up thread, I dare say.
I could go some pies & mash right now actually ... just had a kale, spinach, apple, and ginger smoothie.

:o(
>> >> Especially those whom partake of 3 x double pie & mash, I hear.
>> >>
>>
>> That would be lunch, after his Perfect Example breakfast posted up thread, I dare say.

Which as it happens I have just consumed.
Latest Forum Posts