Non-motoring > Litter Green Issues
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 58

Litter - Armel Coussine
Just seen a bloke on the box - something of a nutter in appearance at least - binding on about cigarette ends discarded on roads and streets.

I am prejudiced on this one being a smoker and therefore a qualified slob. But I am quite rational too and see dog-ends as dust more or less, bioedegradable or anyway soon shredded by weather and car tyres, and swept away by rainwater and street cleaners or cleaning equipment.

I don't see them as litter in the same way that paper bags, hankies, paper or worse still polystyrene cups and so on are litter. They will soon be gone, mixed with the road filth deposited evenly over the rear and rear window of your car.

Call me old-fashioned. I don't care.
 Litter - R.P.
Yep you're probably right, but lost count of the times that a lazy qualified slob has chucked a lit dog end out from their window when I'm following on a bike..if they are "dust" why not discard them inside the car then ?
 Litter - Armel Coussine
>> why not discard them inside the car then ?

I very often do Rob. And I always, always check the mirror before chucking a dog-end out of the window. If there's a bike even a long way behind I don't do it.

I still feel a slob though.

:o}
 Litter - R.P.
Not a lazy one then !
 Litter - Robin O'Reliant

>> I still feel a slob though.

I'm an "Out of the window man" too, but even if there's a car behind me let alone a bike I'll pull in before I sling it. The ashtrays on my cars are always spotless and unused.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 2 Jan 16 at 22:53
 Litter - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I'm an "Out of the window man" too

We haven't had substantial rain here for months. Today, it has been officially declared a heat wave. Very hot, incredibly dry, and a very warm breeze blowing.
A cigarette end landing on the roadside vegetation in those circumstances is likely to start a major fire.
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Sat 2 Jan 16 at 20:06
 Litter - Armel Coussine
Yeah, they used to worry about that in Australia too.
 Litter - Ian (Cape Town)
Many years ago, I was on an extremely drought-stricken golf course (teeing up allowed on the fairway!) and we came across a fire started by a discarded cigarette end. It had burned out to a diameter of about 3 feet.
The collective urinary efforts of the fourball and three caddies managed to extinguish the fire.
Some harsh words were spoken in the clubhouse later to the covey ahead of us.
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Sat 2 Jan 16 at 20:13
 Litter - R.P.
Noticed it was rather sunny on the cricket reports...
 Litter - Fursty Ferret
>> Yep you're probably right, but lost count of the times that a lazy qualified slob
>> has chucked a lit dog end out from their window when I'm following on a
>> bike..if they are "dust" why not discard them inside the car then ?
>>

The last time a lit dog end landed on the pavement next to me I returned it to the owner through their open window. Into the rear footwell. Panic ensued but I only saw a small part of it as I bravely vacated the scene at speed.
 Litter - R.P.
Respect.
 Litter - Armel Coussine

>> Respect.

For succumbing to the temptation to seem a self-righteous PITA? I suppose anyone might really if they were in a bad mood.

Quite unnecessary though. There are people employed to sweep pavements and roads at regular intervals.

This place gets more like Australia by the day.
 Litter - sooty123
>> For succumbing to the temptation to seem a self-righteous PITA? I suppose anyone might really
>> if they were in a bad mood.
>>
>> Quite unnecessary though. There are people employed to sweep pavements and roads at regular intervals.
>>

I thought it was quite funny, perhaps the chap in the car, if he worried about it, was one of those uptight types, all wound up about am extra bit of dust in the car.

Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 3 Jan 16 at 17:40
 Litter - sooty123
A paper bag, i would think, would rot down alot quicker than a tab end. They hang around for a while.
 Litter - R.P.
When I pull up at lights - that's when I notice the gutters full of fag ends
 Litter - Zero
>> When I pull up at lights - that's when I notice the gutters full of
>> fag ends

Funny its where all the bikers stop.......
 Litter - Armel Coussine
The (very good in my judgement, funny) comic American gay novelist David Sedaris lives in a nearby village and we know him a bit. He is to be seen constantly in the lanes round here, picking up litter from the hedges and verges.

I always wonder whether to stop and say hello, but I never do. There aren't that many good stopping places, and what would one say anyway... the civilities have already been exchanged.

Anyway he's doing his best to civilize us. Some hope eh?
 Litter - Armel Coussine
San Francisco man, queer city. He's written a lot, but all I can remember reading is his first San Francisco set collection, Me Talk Pretty One Day. Witty stuff, waspish.
 Litter - John Boy
According to Wikipedia, you locals call him "Pig Pen".
 Litter - Armel Coussine
Well, I don't.

Herself harbours an unrequited (or so I earnestly hope) love for Sedaris's partner Hugh, an annoyingly handsome fellow.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 4 Jan 16 at 18:59
 Litter - Rudedog
Isn't his sister the lady who advertises those sprinkley things you put in your washing machine to make them smell nice?
 Litter - Alanovich
Wow, I thought she was just a marketing creation, like Barry Scott. Now maybe Mr Scott is a real geezer too..................
 Litter - Roger.
>> Wow, I thought she was just a marketing creation, like Barry Scott. Now maybe Mr
>> Scott is a real geezer too..................
>>
Nah - he's a whizz-BANG.
 Litter - John Boy
>> Well, I don't.
>>
I was hoping you would tell us why that particular name is used, AC. If it's supposed to indicate something, then it's lost on me.
 Litter - Armel Coussine
>> I was hoping you would tell us why that particular name is used,

I beliieve it's derived from the Peanuts strip cartoons. There's a grotty little boy of that name.

Because the person in question collects rubbish from roadsides and puts it in a sack, I suppose he suggests the Peanuts Pig-Pen to some.
 Litter - bathtub tom
Have you ever tried riding a motorbike with a fag lit?

You get this bright, red light in front of your face that destroys your night vision at anything over 20 MPH and it's gone in twenty seconds.
 Litter - Armel Coussine
>> You get this bright, red light in front of your face that destroys your night vision at anything over 20 MPH and it's gone in twenty seconds.

... but not before scorching your nose and upper lip and setting your Hells Angel beard on fire.
 Litter - Zero
>> Have you ever tried riding a motorbike with a fag lit?
>>
>> You get this bright, red light in front of your face that destroys your night
>> vision at anything over 20 MPH and it's gone in twenty seconds.

Isn't that why they invented full face helmets?
 Litter - Ian (Cape Town)
yes. Do you keep the fag inside the helmet, or what?
Anyone come up with one of those twisp thingies to use on a bike, yet?
 Litter - Harleyman
>> yes. Do you keep the fag inside the helmet, or what?
>> Anyone come up with one of those twisp thingies to use on a bike, yet?
>>

The late Barrie Sheene allegedly had a hole drilled in the front of his full face racing helmet so that he could have a smoke before the start of a race.
 Litter - Roger.
>> Have you ever tried riding a motorbike with a fag lit?

Oo-er Missus!
 Litter - R.P.
Only 'cos the lights are on red.
 Litter - Ian (Cape Town)
>> When I pull up at lights - that's when I notice the gutters full of
>> fag ends
>>
Yes. It is because bored drivers, waiting for the lights to change, take the opportunity to empty the ashtray, rather than take it home and do it there.
 Litter - No FM2R
>>soon be gone

Depending on the butt, 2 - 10 years apparently.
 Litter - R.P.
Some plastics in the make up of a filter ?
 Litter - sooty123
I think it's all plastic, but very fine stuff so it feels like paper.
 Litter - Ted

I vaguely recall a ' case stated ' in English law where an untipped ciggie was deemed not to be litter but a tipped one was.

Might be useful if you're captured doing the deed !
 Litter - Roger.
This IS a litter.

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/18/article-2160961-13A99482000005DC-775_634x424.jpg
 Litter - legacylad
I'll take the black & white one
Talking of pups, an acquaintence of mine had just travelled 200+ miles to get a Sealyham. Not many of those around these days.
 Litter - Roger.
>> I'll take the black & white one
>> Talking of pups, an acquaintance of mine had just travelled 200+ miles to get a
>> Sealyham. Not many of those around these days.
>>

My daughter has a rescued greyhound who goes by the unlikely name of Teddy!

For a dog, he's not bad!
 Litter - Harleyman
>> I think it's all plastic, but very fine stuff so it feels like paper.
>>

Cellulose I think.
 Litter - Runfer D'Hills
Our dog is a Sealyham. You're right, you rarely see another. He was lairy as a lairy thing when he was young but at 4.5 years old now he's just great. Fit as a fiddle, runs for miles beside me on the bike. Very loyal, never aggressive to other dogs but will stick up for himself if they try to mix it with him. Great around people. Even with a house full over Chrisrmas he was no trouble.

Follows me everywhere, haven't needed to use a lead for a long time. Used to get a bit car sick but he's fine now. Hairy little beggar though, pure white when he's clean, which is rare in this weather.

Total stick-aholic, gets quite down if he hasn't had his daily fix of chasing one !

Alfred Hitchcock had Sealyhams apparently, as did Princess Margaret I gather. Just by way of a bit of trivia.
 Litter - Runfer D'Hills
This isn't my dog but it looks very much like him...

tinyurl.com/zpowacc
 Litter - Ted

We have this monster staying for the weekend. He's a Havanese Terrier, his mum and dad are away for a weekend break.

s479.photobucket.com/user/1400ted/media/Ollie/Ollie.jpg.html?o=0
 For life. Not just for Christmas... - Ian (Cape Town)
tinyurl.com/z5thvv2

"Cute as a button, but an unwanted gift.

That was the hard-hitting truth of post-Christmas festivities, when a golden retriever puppy, which was obviously not a very welcome Christmas surprise, was posted on to the Gumtree website this week."

Sorry. But a) which scumbag breeder would sell such a puppy, without knowing it was going to a good home?
and
b) Which moron would give a puppy to somebody, without consultation first?
 For life. Not just for Christmas... - Dog
>>which scumbag breeder would sell such a puppy, without knowing it was going to a good home?

Would I be right in thinking that R1 200 is about 52 £uid?
 For life. Not just for Christmas... - Aretas
My in-laws owned a lovely house in Hertfordshire, sold when they died. New owner is a smoker and one evening last summer chucked his fag end out the window. Wind blew it back against the side of the house, vegetation caught light which destroyed the roof and much of the first floor.
Yes. and No.
Because our totally inept president keeps firing finance ministers, and spending money we don't have, the rand is in a poor state.

So that's 52ish quid in exchange terms, but 1200 would buy you:
50 pints of Lager
100 litres of petrol
100 loaves of sliced bread
40-something big macs
etc etc etc
 For life. Not just for Christmas... - sooty123

>> So that's 52ish quid in exchange terms, but 1200 would buy you:
>> 50 pints of Lager

Bet the barmy army are loving that. Theres a castle brewery right next to newlands isn't there? The report reckons 12k eng fans mainly expats, sound about right to you?
Sounds reasonable.
Lots of tourists in town for the very reason it probably costs less to fly to Cape Town and watch a 5 day test than to go to all 5 days at Lords or the Oval!

And yes, the brewery... rarely seen on TV, for some reason. If the wind is in the wrong direction, you get that brewery smell across the whole ground. However, it brews the best beer in SA, because it is built on aquifers from Table Mountain, so the water is very good. And free.
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Sun 3 Jan 16 at 20:13
 For life. Not just for Christmas... - sooty123
Looks a lovely place to watch cricket. Reading the cricket forums it does seem a very popular place to go. Looking at some of people that go there its not because it's cheaper! Many eng fans pay £10k plus on the tours out there to watch the cricket. Although not all of course.

Looks great on the tv, just need a lottery win to do the whole deal.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 3 Jan 16 at 20:21
 For life. Not just for Christmas... - Dog
>>So that's 52ish quid in exchange terms, but 1200 would buy you:
50 pints of Lager
100 litres of petrol
100 loaves of sliced bread
40-something big macs
etc etc etc

Do Ryanair fly to Cape Town :)

Expect to pay 7-900 notes for a good Golden Retriever pup in blighty:

www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/golden-retriever/puppies

Nope. No RyanAir.

Decent goldens here are few and far between. Lots of demand, not much bloodline, so they tend to be very runty.
My folks had goldens for 40+ years, but couldn't find a decent replacement.
R3000-R5000 seem the going rate.
 For life. Not just for Christmas... - Zero
>> Nope. No RyanAir.
>>
>> Decent goldens here are few and far between. Lots of demand, not much bloodline, so
>> they tend to be very runty.
>> My folks had goldens for 40+ years, but couldn't find a decent replacement.
>> R3000-R5000 seem the going rate.
>>

You should see my goldie! Stunning! We have our first obedience show in February. I'll also have her with a working trial "expert" title by year end.
You got the shotgun to go with it?

FM2R had goldens as well - he may still.
I know they ruined his pool filter!
 For life. Not just for Christmas... - Zero
>> You got the shotgun to go with it?

This is Obedience and Working trials, not doing field trials so no shooting (till you get to Patrol Dog stakes when a gun (blanks!) are used to fire at the dog)

>> FM2R had goldens as well - he may still.
>> I know they ruined his pool filter!

the canal is her local pool. She is currently engaged in a feud with the Swans that live within over swimming rights. The Swans are losing big time.
 For life. Not just for Christmas... - No FM2R
>>>> I know they ruined his pool filter!

Yes they did. The dogs were in and out of the pool all day. Not only did the filters constantly clog, my dogs were both pretty long haired, the dogs were damp for about two years and just smelled great. Not.

>>>> FM2R had goldens as well - he may still.

Sadly not. I miss them greatly.

>>She is currently engaged in a feud with the Swans

Mine had an ongoing feud with monkeys. Which, along with just about every other feud they ever had, they lost miserably.
The two dawgs - circa 1988 - one hot day ran riot through the single-story house... pool, through lounge, dining room, jump on beds, etc etc etc.
Mum was out.
The dawgs had a lot of fun.
My folks didn't afterwards.

Also, NEVER swim in a pool with Goldens. They love to come say 'hello'. But they have big claws.
Grab a breath, dive deep, and avoid.
Otherwise you'll get some serious damage.
 For life. Not just for Christmas... - No FM2R
>>They love to come say 'hello'. But they have big claws.

True. Mine were pretty good at swimming up along side, but even then one had to be aware.

The pool in Chile hads wide (15ft or so) concrete steps gently down into the pool, so easy for the dogs.

But the one in Rio just has the normal aluminium and plastic ladders. It was amusing to watch the dogs master them.

Most surprising was the ability of one dog to dive and swim under water just for fun. I thought dogs couldn't do that, but he did. He often used to pick stuff off the bottom of the deep end.
Latest Forum Posts