Non-motoring > More Local Lunacy Part 347 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ian (Cape Town) Replies: 5

More Local Lunacy Part 347 - Ian (Cape Town)
tinyurl.com/zglfawl

So... you book a holiday in Cape Town over New Year.
Surely you know that this is the time for the local carnival, featuring choirs, brass bands etc - a tradition dating back over a century?

Obviously not...

Hotel management: "They [choirs] should just march past and into Adderley St without music - This really is critical as I have a 100% full Hotel with very high-rate paying visitors, whom will SERIOUSLY complain if they cannot sleep due to this event."

More Local Lunacy Part 347 - sooty123
Can't say I've ever heard of a new years parade in Cape Town, but I bet this sort of thing happens all over the place, trying to keep loads of high rollers customers happy.
 More Local Lunacy Part 347 - zippy
Happens all over.

We have a bikers pub on the sea front. It's very rough and loud and there has been at least one murder there.

So right next door, on an old bomb site, which was used as a market and car park for many years, they build retirement flats, the residents of which constantly complain about the loud music and motorbikes which were there for several decades before they turned up!
 More Local Lunacy Part 347 - Runfer D'Hills
There's a hotel in Belfast I use quite regularly. I always ask for a particular type of room if it's available which has a lounge area and balcony on the first floor overlooking the gardens.

It's also coincidentally, directly above the main function suite.

Well, I was there in early December for 4 nights and on each of those nights there was someone's Christmas party going on in the function room...

I know for sure they all had a good time.

:-(

More Local Lunacy Part 347 - sooty123
We're all wise after the event. Always good to have a look see if there's anything noisy on when you need a good nights sleep in a hotel. Especially if you know them well enough to ask for specific rooms, i bet you always remember to ask now!
 More Local Lunacy Part 347 - Clk Sec
We've stayed in some quite noisy places over the years, but nowadays we book direct with the hotel, after their confirmation that they have a quiet room available that has a pleasant view.

Trip Advisor reviews can be a useful source of information in this respect.
Latest Forum Posts