Non-motoring > Got your goat? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 59

Got your goat? - Runfer D'Hills
For 'Movember' I grew a goatee. Idea was it would be purely for charidee and would be removed before Christmas.

However, I have become fond of it. Anyone else kept their fuzz?
 Got your goat? - Old Navy
My beard is 50 years old, apart for a couple of months for medical reasons. A weekly trim keeps it neat and tidy.
 Got your goat? - R.P.
I grew my moustache back after an absence of 11 years. Kept it a month and made £50.00 out of it for the charity. Now gone.
 Got your goat? - sooty123
Don't bother shaving when not at work. A few days stubble, i don't really enjoy shaving so quite like leaving. Couldn't be bothered with a beard or a tash, don't really like the look of them either.
 Got your goat? - Robin O'Reliant
I grew a beard early December after slicing my finger two weeks running when changing blades. I already had a 'tash and the chin fuzz goes nicely with it.

Not the first time I've had a beard though the last one went twenty years ago.
My wife tells me she likes it. I was temporarily flattered until I overheard her telling someone on the phone that I now looked like a cross between Kenny Rogers and Paul Hollywood.

But I like it so meh !

;-)
 Got your goat? - Zero
>> My wife tells me she likes it. I was temporarily flattered until I overheard her
>> telling someone on the phone that I now looked like a cross between Kenny Rogers
>> and Paul Hollywood.
>>
>> But I like it so meh !

In girl world thats a real complement, but you will need to learn to sing and bake bread now tho.
 Got your goat? - Dog
Howls about giving up eating dead animals for a phew wreaks:

www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/12078341/Thousands-giving-up-all-animal-products-for-a-month-as-part-of-Veganuary.html

>> Howls about giving up eating dead animals for a phew wreaks:
>>
>> >>
Having once suffered a Vegan meal when a dinner guest I wouldn't consider that for one moment. It was like eating wallpaper paste and the journey home was interrupted by a visit to McDonalds.
 Got your goat? - Dog
This looks okay, to me: www.veganuary.com/recipes/vegan-fry-up/
 Got your goat? - Clk Sec
>> This looks okay, to me: www.veganuary.com/recipes/vegan-fry-up/
>>

Of course it does. Why bother with meat...
>> This looks okay, to me: www.veganuary.com/recipes/vegan-fry-up/

Minus the mushrooms, not keen on them at all, they have an unpleasent texture.
>> >> This looks okay, to me: www.veganuary.com/recipes/vegan-fry-up/
>>
>> Minus the mushrooms, not keen on them at all, they have an unpleasent texture.
>>
Vegan cyclists are now well catered for. This is just the thing before a hard ride -

www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/deals-of-the-week/happy-bottom-bum-butter-197626
 Got your goat? - CGNorwich
Did you know that genetically a mushroom is more more closely related to a human being that it is to a cabbage.

Just thought you might like to know.
 Got your goat? - Crankcase
Mushrooms, vegetables and meat are SO 20th century. The future is here, and there's even still a few days to get your investment in. Mealworms.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1468268424/l-i-v-i-n-hive
 Got your goat? - Zero
Had mealworms, Deep fried with a little salt and pepper, dipped in a dip of your choice they have a crispness with a little softness inside, a bit like thinner whotsits - de-lish
 Got your goat? - BiggerBadderDave
"Had mealworms"

Itchy bum?
 Got your goat? - Armel Coussine
>> Itchy bum?

Heh heh... anyone else seen a dog dragging its rectum over an abrasive surface in the hope of reducing the irritation? Very funny.

Trying to think of disgusting things I've eaten. I'm quite squeamish so not many.

The much-vaunted scampi are rather distasteful (although quite tasty) sea-lice though. Yuck.

Then there are squid and octopus. You have to get rid of the nasty bits, and it can put you off eating the remains afterwards. I've eaten snails a couple of times, yes escargots, but also big tough African jobs with pepper on them. Very chewy those.
 Got your goat? - Bromptonaut
>> Trying to think of disgusting things I've eaten. I'm quite squeamish so not many.

Squid, octopus and any sort of shellfish are fine by me. Not squeamish about horse either.

And like (IIRC) mapmaker of this parish I quite like Andouillette.
>> Not squeamish about horse either.

Never been given anything called 'horse'.

Eaten plenty of 'bifteck' and 'steack' in France though. Those are horse I think.

(Unlike what they call 'steek pies' in Scotland, which I think are made of mutton).
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 3 Jan 16 at 17:57
No, steak pies are beef ( after a fashion ), scotch pies are mutton. I've seen, though never dared try, a scotch pie in a well fired, thickly buttered roll. It's almost like France in culinary terms really.

;-)
Thank you Humph. I'd forgotten scotch pies. They weren't all that different from steak pies though.

Peas and vinegar were good. And chips of course with everything.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 3 Jan 16 at 18:21

>> Squid, octopus and any sort of shellfish are fine by me. Not squeamish about horse
>> either.

I'm not squeamish about that sort of thing, apart from the taste. Squid and octopus are like eating a handful of rubber bands.

>>
>> I'm not squeamish about that sort of thing, apart from the taste. Squid and octopus
>> are like eating a handful of rubber bands.
>>

Not if cooked properly!
 Got your goat? - Zero

>>
>> Not if cooked properly!

Indeed, but it is tricky, seconds between cooked but tender, and overcooked rubber bands
>> it is tricky, seconds between cooked but tender, and overcooked rubber bands

Yes. In the end I gave up doing it because I only got away with it one time in three. But I'm a poor cook, too impatient, eye strays from the ball. I admire and approve of people who can really do it or are keen to try.
Octopus needs tenderising. On the Greek Islands the usual way is to throw it against a rock for half an hour or so. I first saw this done on Ithaca where I watch a lad from the hotel repeatedly throwing the beast against a large and barnacled rock. I met up with the Octopus again later for lunch. It was tender and delicious

Alternatively you can pre-cook it in boiling water
Like bashing a steak with the rolling pin before frying it.
A quick search reveals how to tenderise an Octopus the Greek way.

Instructions

Stand beside either a rock or concrete slab, which is at your feet level.
Grab the octopus by its head, putting your two fingers under the head to hold it (it's slippery!)

Bring the octopus up high over your head and throw it down hard with all your strength onto a piece of concrete slab or a rock.

Do this beating action 3, 4 or 5 times.

Then, holding onto the head, you need to rub it or swirl it around on the rock or concrete.
Rub it for a minute or so, rubbing all parts of the octopus over the hard surface.
Repeat these two actions again - beating, rubbing.

After doing these actions twice, you then need to rinse the octopus, to remove the slime that comes out of it from this action.

Rinse under a tap, or as Greek fishermen do - in the sea!

Repeat these steps - beat, swirl, beat, swirl, rinse - several times.

When you beat it throwing it down onto the concrete, even though it is dead, you will see it contract or tense up.

After you have repeated the steps several times, the octopus is ready when you throw it down and it just flops on the rock - not contracting and also there is no more slime coming out it.

Although these actions may seem a lot of work, you will have a beautiful, tender octapodi, in whichever method you use to cook it.

Got your goat? - Haywain
"Instructions................"

This all sounds terribly cruel.
 Got your goat? - Zero

>> Alternatively you can pre-cook it in boiling water

rather than beat the crap out of it, or boil it to death, it can be marinated for 24 hours then kissed with hot oil. nom nom
Yes but the Greek method is more fun.
>> Yes but the Greek method is more fun.
>>

Fun? Chucking an octopus about? mind you the greeks can't afford to do much else to pass the time i suppose.

>> Fun? Chucking an octopus about? mind you the greeks can't afford to do much else
>> to pass the time i suppose.
>>

What's not to like? Sun sea and a freshly caught sea-food lunch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUMkqm9melo
>> Fun? Chucking an octopus about? mind you the greeks can't afford to do much
>> else to pass the time i suppose.
>> >>
>>
>> What's not to like? Sun sea and a freshly caught sea-food lunch.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUMkqm9melo
>>

Don't show that to the scots, they'll turn it into a sport.
Or show it to the wealthy it'll be the latest thing to be seen doing on holiday.
 Got your goat? - Zero
>> Yes but the Greek method is more fun.

not if you are a squid. Plus, dunno bout you, but I dont have any rocks in my kitchen.
"dunno bout you, but I dont have any rocks in my kitchen."

I thought you just re-built your kitchen. Do you mean to say you didn't incorporate an authentic Octopus tenderising rock in the work surface ? Quite this year's thing you know.
 Got your goat? - Zero
>> "dunno bout you, but I dont have any rocks in my kitchen."
>>
>>
>> I thought you just re-built your kitchen. Do you mean to say you didn't incorporate
>> an authentic Octopus tenderising rock in the work surface ? Quite this year's thing you
>> know.

Fraid mine is a 2010 vintage, the rage then was a Tandor. I can do some great Nans.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 3 Jan 16 at 19:58
I'm not squeamish about that sort of thing, apart from the taste. Squid and octopus are like eating a handful of rubber bands.
>> >>
>>
>> Not if cooked properly!
>>

I doubt a minute or two either would make any difference to the texture of them in any major way. It was in some spanish restaurant where I was assured it was all tasty and they knew what they were doing. Err not quite.
Mind you I'm not a fan of that rubbery grit stuff people eat at the seaside in those polystyrene trays.
I stick to edible stuff from the sea like prawns and fish. The rest no thanks.
 Got your goat? - Zero

>> >> Not if cooked properly!
>> >>
>>
>> I doubt a minute or two either would make any difference to the texture of
>> them in any major way.

>>It was in some spanish restaurant where I was assured
>> it was all tasty and they knew what they were doing.

Well clearly they didn't did they. So It just goes to prove a minute or two does make a difference doesn't it.

>> >>It was in some spanish restaurant where I was assured
>> >> it was all tasty and they knew what they were doing.
>>
>>
>> Well clearly they didn't did they. So It just goes to prove a minute or
>> two does make a difference doesn't it.
>>

I've no idea. If your into that sort of food quite possibly. If your not no.
 Got your goat? - tyrednemotional
..way back, when my daughter was small, we visited Sweden on the DFDS ferry from Newcastle, which had a large, evening buffet.

She helped herself to a large helping of "onion rings" which were quite a favourite of hers at the time, whilst we kept very quiet.

Her face was a picture when she discovered the 'delights' of Calamari.

Parents can be very cruel. :-)
 Got your goat? - Haywain
" anyone else seen a dog dragging its rectum over an abrasive surface in the hope of reducing the irritation? Very funny. "

Not so funny if it's doing it on your carpet! When our old field spaniel started doing it, a veterinary colleague came round and diagnosed dodgy anal glands. While I held the front end of the dog, he squeezed the back end onto a piece of tissue paper; being a vet, he always sniffed the result of his work.

Many years ago whilst visiting an old chap in his retirement flat in West Bromwich, I noticed that his ancient hound was crunching its biscuits,and allowing the sharp crumbs to fall on the floor. The dog then proceeded to gyrate its rear-end on the bed of crumbs - ingenious.
 Got your goat? - Zero

>> Not so funny if it's doing it on your carpet! When our old field spaniel
>> started doing it, a veterinary colleague came round and diagnosed dodgy anal glands. While I
>> held the front end of the dog, he squeezed the back end onto a piece
>> of tissue paper; being a vet, he always sniffed the result of his work.

Its called "expressing the anal glands" Normally when dogs poo the passing of the poo expresses the glands, however if they are fed wet stuff all the time, the poo is too runny and does not squeeze the glands to express them naturally.
 Got your goat? - Haywain
"Its called "expressing the anal glands" Normally when dogs poo the passing of the poo expresses the glands, "

Yes, that's what the vet said. I bet you sniff the resulting glandular expression as well, don't you?
 Got your goat? - Zero
>> "Its called "expressing the anal glands" Normally when dogs poo the passing of the poo
>> expresses the glands, "
>>
>> Yes, that's what the vet said. I bet you sniff the resulting glandular expression as
>> well, don't you?
>
As it happens, No. I hate runny dog poo, its a roger to clean up. Fifi Mk2 deluxe, gets a predominantly dry diet, lots of bones, has hard poo which while expressing her glands is easier to clean up. Never need to get that close to sniff it.
 Got your goat? - Skip

>> Its called "expressing the anal glands" Normally when dogs poo the passing of the poo
>> expresses the glands, however if they are fed wet stuff all the time, the poo
>> is too runny and does not squeeze the glands to express them naturally.
>>
You learn something new every day !
I'm more than certain that I expressed my anal glands on Boxing Day.
 Got your goat? - Zero
>> Howls about giving up eating dead animals for a phew wreaks:
>>
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/12078341/Thousands-giving-up-all-animal-products-for-a-month-as-part-of-Veganuary.html

I have two words for that, One starts with F and the other an O
 Got your goat? - legacylad
I think I could just about give up meat for a week. As part of my January regime I'm only drinking alcohol Fri/Sat/Sun. And Monday. That's three alcohol free days. As for going vegan for a month, that will never happen. Not even for a week. Meat I could live without for a short period, but I like my fish pies, breaded haddock, roll mop herring.
Just had a lovely omelette for lunch... Cooked up some bacon, used up some ham, a few mushrooms with tomatoes on the side. Sunflower bread with proper butter. Nice lining for early doors beer in my local.
Moderation in everything.
 Got your goat? - Dog
I managed to go from xmas eve 'til new years day without eating any animal products. Y'all can get used to it after a while. Had some Debbie & Andrew sausages yesterday, which were very nice, had a Thai curry thing with chicken last night, which I didn't enjoy one bit, I'd rather have had chicken 'n chips TBH.
>> but you will need to learn to sing and bake bread now tho

Simultaneously?
 Got your goat? - Zero
>> >> but you will need to learn to sing and bake bread now tho
>>
>> Simultaneously?

Of course.
 Got your goat? - tyrednemotional
...I've also had a beard for about 45 years.....except for the one time I shaved it off to take part in a beard-growing contest with my friends..... :-)
 Got your goat? - Harleyman
The only time I ever removed my beard for any length of time co-incided with when I entered my first marriage. I regard that as an omen, and have been hirsute ever since.

I did once foolishly agree to a sponsored beard and head shave for charidee in about 1995; I insisted on keeping my moustache though which had the unfortunate effect of making me look like Zebedee from the Magic Roundabout for a couple of weeks.

It's not something I'd ever do again, but not for the sake of vanity; at that time my only transport was my first old side-valve Harley, and I was commuting from Derby to Stafford, where I was working nights for British Telecom. My fizzog has never been so damn cold and I couldn't wait for the beard to grow back!
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 3 Jan 16 at 14:23
 Got your goat? - Dog
I mowed my beard orf when we lived in Tenerife. Seemed appropriate somehow, to let the sunshine in.

That was 18+ years ago though, and I haven't been without it since. I keep it well-trimmed, neat & tidy usually,
but I've let it go o'er the xmas period. Might tidy it up the morrow.
 Got your goat? - Ian (Cape Town)
I was approached by some bint at work, and asked if I'd take the beard off for 'chariddee' .

I told them I was growing it for Tatooine Victims Fund event ("These are not the droids you are looking for") and afterwards to be a Santa Claus at the local victims of paedophila shelter.
She left well impressed.
 Got your goat? - mikeyb
Fully bearded at the moment. Grew one last winter (for the first time) and quite liked it so it came back again this year around November.

Mrs B is not keen.....needs a good trim before its back to work tomorrow
 Got your goat? - Bromptonaut
Grew a 'tash in the early nineties when my daughter was a baby. Tried to progress to a full set c1996 but growth on cheeks too sparse.

Had goatee ever since and cannot imagine being without it.
I find shaving an annoying chore, so often don't do it. People here are usually very tolerant about it. I'm not the only one really, now I come to think of it. No one seems to mind. Liberty Hall.
Latest Forum Posts