Non-motoring > Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 23

Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Armel Coussine
Don't. Just don't. Really, believe me, don't.

It would be wasteful to chuck it out now that I've made it. But it will be purgatory for the rest of the glass.

Pray for me.
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - tyrednemotional
...I agree - a waste of good apple juice.....

;-)
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - R.P.
Error ?
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - No FM2R
What in God's name were you thinking?

This most unlike you AC. Despite your many foibles you can normally be trusted to act responsibly with alcohol.

What has gone wrong?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 3 Jan 16 at 18:43
My error was to assume the Bourbon could be a substitute for vodka. But it can't, because it has a pronounced taste and nose and all that.
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Runfer D'Hills
Ah, down to the last remnants of the festive booze stock are we?

As you know, I rarely drink, but tonight, by way of anaesthetising the appalling thought of returning to the grindstone tomorrow, I'm sipping a glass of Croft Particular ( or 3 ) while grilling some pork chops.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 3 Jan 16 at 18:45
I like port too. Can hit the liver a bit. We have two bottles on the go here, one with bits of cork in it (old stuff, rotten cork, damn!).

Now, back to that appalling drink.
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Cliff Pope
Pouring it surreptitiously into a handy aspidistra plant-pot is the traditional way of disposing of an unwanted drink.
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - helicopter
Sounds as awful as the Mint Julep I was served in Louisiana......horribly sweet ......

My all time worst drink was the battery acid like wine served up in Shanghai or possibly the Banana liquer in Tenerife.......

Non alcoholic worst has to be the mixure of fresh orange juice and avocado last year in Crete.....believe me, they do not go together.....

Good subject for discussion...worst beverages tasted???
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - zippy
>>I like port too.

I like port and have a glass with cheese occasionally.

I have been given a bottle which is unopened but I know is over 10 years old. Will it still be drinkable?

Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - NortonES2
Our default is 10 year old tawny, when we have port, so yours might be OK. Be a devil and try it?
Your unopened 10 year old port will be fine to drink Zippy.Try it with a nice runny Stilton.

Port is a fortified wine so the high alcohol and sugar content act as preservatives to keep it from going off, even when opened it will last well if you keep it in the fridge

Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Mapmaker
I was given a bottle of Blantons Gold Bourbon for Christmas. Very happy!
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Alastairw
Worst recent beverage was some African white wine my g/f was given at Christmas. I think it was meant to be like Leibfraumuck but was too sweet. I only drank it cos there was no other choice.

Have now gone dry for January. Will hold out until the 30th, by which time hope to have filed all the Returns I am expected to.
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Kevin
>Worst recent beverage was some African white wine my g/f was given at Christmas. I think it was meant
>to be like Leibfraumuck but was too sweet. I only drank it cos there was no other choice.

I once went diving for crayfish off the coast of Namibia. I didn't have a wetsuit so went in with just T-shirt and swimming shorts. Glub, is the Benguela Current damn cold! Taking a swig of the sweet white SA wine our Mauritian friends had brought was the only thing that kept me going back in the water every time I took my catch back to the beach.

>Have now gone dry for January.

So have we.

Had a reasonable Chilean Sauv Blanc while on hols in Cuba before Xmas so I ordered a couple of cases when we got back and we're working our way through that.

>> >Have now gone dry for January.

I haven't. Cheers!
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Alanovich
>> I haven't. Cheers!
>>

Damn right, AC. Load of old rubbish, non-alcoholics having a pretend struggle with the grog.

Your good health (when you're not driving).
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Kevin
>Your unopened 10 year old port will be fine to drink Zippy.

Once while following Mrs K around Harrods food hall I found myself in the booze section. Tucked away in one corner were a few shelves of port. A couple of the shelves contained very old dusty bottles with badly faded and barely readable labels and other bottles with no original label all. Tied with string around the neck of one bottle was a hand written label stating:

'Believed to be X, Year YYYY - £280'
Just as a matter of interest,a bottle of 1863 and a bottle of 1868 port were opened and drunk last year by the Cockburn family and various wine experts and both were fine although the 1863 was not as well liked as the 1868.

The oldest port I have drunk was over 50 years old which was given to me by sister in laws father who is Portuguese. Not a lot of the Portuguese drink port, the UK is their biggest market.
Last edited by: helicopter on Tue 5 Jan 16 at 11:10
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Alanovich
I've got a bottle of Port laying down in my dining room cupboard waiting for my 50th birthday. It's from the year of my birth. 4 years to wait.
By tipping the bottle very slowly and pouring with immense care, I have managed to get most of the way down the bottle. Trouble is, so much grit and scheiss still comes out that I have to sip rather carefully too.

I haven't got any clean muslin to strain it through and coffee filters seem to make it taste of paper. Anyway it's all gone bar the dregs.

Nice at the end of a slap-up dinner although brandy is better. It's an English thing, they drink white port in Portugal I think.
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Zero
>> I've got a bottle of Port laying down in my dining room cupboard waiting for
>> my 50th birthday. It's from the year of my birth. 4 years to wait.

Well I hope its a proper vintage port, anything else will be undrinkable.
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Roger.
Port is okayish, I s'pose, but Baileys is better!
 Kentucky Bourbon and apple juice - Zero

>> The oldest port I have drunk was over 50 years old which was given to
>> me by sister in laws father who is Portuguese. Not a lot of the Portuguese
>> drink port, the UK is their biggest market.

Port was a rarely drunk in portugal, and was further developed in situ by english merchants and shippers for english tastes.

As was Madeira.
Latest Forum Posts