Non-motoring > Yawns of '66 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 13

Yawns of '66 - WillDeBeest
I think the final of the 1966 World Cup was in July - or was it June? Don't know - wasn't born. Pretty sure it wasn't in January anyway. Yet here we go already with the 50th anniversary yawnathon.

I'd have supposed that the football fans would think it was worth savouring these last few months in which it's less than fifty years since England won anything. But clearly I'm underestimating the fondness for wallowing.
 Yawns of '66 - Zero
Anything to upset the jocks is fine.
 Yawns of '66 - Crankcase
That 66 thing was the first and last football match I ever saw on TV. My dad must have thought it was interesting or important, although as I was only four I don't remember much other than sitting there for what seemed ages, probably bored out of my tiny mind.
 Yawns of '66 - Zero
I was 11, 66 was our first holiday abroad somewhere risky enough (can't remember where, tangier might be involved along the line I think) to require a jab and I was suffering with some after effects.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 4 Jan 16 at 12:51
 Yawns of '66 - No FM2R
End of July.

And if they are celebrating this, it will be embarrassing for those with Brazilian friends (or daughters).
 Yawns of '66 - Zero
>> End of July.
>>
>> And if they are celebrating this, it will be embarrassing for those with Brazilian friends
>> (or daughters).

Yeah, how many times have they wont the world cup now? 5 is it?
 Yawns of '66 - Dog
I had a world cup willie.

Just saying like.
 Yawns of '66 - legacylad
Red, white & blue?

Just saying like.

Yawns of '66 - Ian (Cape Town)
>> it's less than fifty years since England won anything. But clearly
>> I'm underestimating the fondness for wallowing.
>>
Hey...
Lots of folk who'd never watched sport...

a) Made much of the Mary Peters gig. And non-event Ron something (No, not Pickering!)
b) Embraced James Hunt. Though they'd never seen a car race before. Some Princess hopped a horse in Canada.
c) That Coe v Ovett gig. Amazing. Whatever happened to Steve?
d) Botham's ashes.
e) A few more Ashes
f) Linford. Oh...
e) Gazza weeping. Close. No cigar.
f) errr.. Rugby 2003
g) Oh yes! the Ashes again. Freddie a bit lagged.

Since then, the 2012 was a massive celebration of sporting prowess. Good drills!

As far as football is concerned, what a bunch of overpaid and ill-educated numpties!

True stories, from those who were there.
1) A certain player from a club from South London (CA) got an England call. Was most annoyed because he had booked a holiday to DisneyLand with his girlfriend.
2) England play South Africa in Durban. Squad gets an invite to visit a certain statesman called Nelson in Johannesburg, organised by a Mr Lucas Radebe. Some members of the squad choose not to avail themselves with the trip, and play pool at their Durban hotel all day. Oh. Those chaps were of various races.

Yawns of '66 - Bromptonaut
Towards end of July. Remember listening to it aged 6 in Dad's Simca 1500 estate (company car!) en route to a holiday in mid Wales.
 Yawns of '66 - Bobby
Did England win the World Cup in 1966?

Jings, kept that quiet......
 Yawns of '66 - Zero
>> Did England win the World Cup in 1966?
>>
>> Jings, kept that quiet......

If only the Sottish football team had something to crow about.....
 Yawns of '66 - Harleyman

>> If only the Sottish football team had something to crow about.....
>>

Well they wanted independence; they'll have the whole country to 'emselves. ;-)
 Yawns of '66 - Alanovich
I feel sure the result of the referendum was published, even in Carmarthenshire.

;-)
Latest Forum Posts