Non-motoring > Airbnb Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 10

Airbnb - Pat
Has anyone used it for accommodation and if so what are your views?

We've tried it twice now and have decided it's not for us.

Both times the accommodation has been absolutely fine but we both feel we're intruding in someone's personal space and quite honestly, a bit like a burglar!

There seems no clear direction on what you're supposed to use or not and that resulted in me 'pinching' 2 Sweetex as we'd taken our own coffee and it was at that point we decided a generic hotel room is far better.

Pat
 Airbnb - Alanovich
Burned the caravan out cooking the Christmas sparrow in the tiny oven, Pat?

;-)

I was scanning Airbnb recently and it's not just for bnb, there are plenty of self catering apartments and villas in our usual French resort for rental too. Haven't used it myself but have used Owners Direct and Cottages4U, much the same thing really. Haven't had any problems.
 Airbnb - Pat
Sorry to disappoint Alanovic, but the caravan oven is alive and well in Devon:)

We needed to go to Scarborough to visit the In Laws and this was an apartment but they were away for the weekend and live in it during the week, so maybe that was why we felt like intruders.

The previous one in Brixham was also self contained albeit very small but the owner lived upstairs and it just feels wrong somehow!

Pat
 Airbnb - smokie
I've just rented a flat in central Edinburgh during the Fringe. I was at the same flat two years ago, when the elderly couple who own it were living elsewhere and renting it full time. This year they are now living I'm this one and moving out to the other flat (!!) for the week we're up there, so I think that will feel the same.

Huge flat, very nicely equipped and absolutely prime location on, and overlooking, the pedestrian bit of the Royal Mile. It will be noisy but if I'd wanted a quiet holiday I'd have gone somewhere else...

EDIT: meant to also say that I saw some good Florida properties on airbnb but rentals not bnb.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 4 Jan 16 at 14:47
 Airbnb - Zero
>> Has anyone used it for accommodation and if so what are your views?
>>
>> We've tried it twice now and have decided it's not for us.
>>
>> Both times the accommodation has been absolutely fine but we both feel we're intruding in
>> someone's personal space and quite honestly, a bit like a burglar!

Its fine, if the hosts felt territorial they wouldn't do it, and as long as you behave there as you would in your own home its no problem.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 4 Jan 16 at 14:48
 Airbnb - Pat
I wouldn't dream of smoking in their home.......;)

Pat
 Airbnb - Zero
>> I wouldn't dream of smoking in their home.......;)
>>
>> Pat

In my last years as a smoker, I wasn't allowed to!

Airbnb - Harleyman
I did try to book a room once in Finchampstead when I was attending an Army re-union, but the lady never replied. Draw your own conclusions. ;-)

As far as "personal space" is concerned; wouldn't bother me to be in a "stranger's" home, I did about 7 years of house share.
 Airbnb - No FM2R
I'm with Pat on this, it feels uncomfortable. It's not like a holiday cottage or something which is solely for renting out, it feels much more like sraying in someone's home.

That makes me feel like i have to worry about somone else's personal space, rather than just their property, and that's uncomfortable hassle.

I feel like a bit of an intruder so I don't fully relax.
 Airbnb - Armel Coussine
When young and peripatetic I had to rent 'digs' in people's houses once or twice.

One did feel like an intruder. A decent landlord or -lady will make one welcome to the best of their ability. Nevertheless the strange (not nasty, just strange) smell of someone else's house and the need to turn up on time for the cooked breakfast were terribly wearing I found.

Good manners on everyone's part help enormously of course.
 Airbnb - zippy
Eldest used it for an 8 week stay in Aukland, New Zealand.

About a fifth of the price of a hotel but about 10% more than a hostel.

The place was perfect, professional couple in their late 50s with spare rooms after the kids had gone.

We made it clear to the owners that eldest was a student in NZ for studies.

The hosts were perfect took eldest on sight seeing tour, showed local shops, bus routes etc. Kitchen policy was clear - help yourself or let us know in advance and get included in family meals gratis. They had DVD and games nights and invited all guests to join in. The house was spotless and in a very good area.

Eldest took them for meal out a few times as a thank you.

They had several guests at the same time all in their own rooms.

You need to research well and read descriptions and guest comments in detail. Some descriptions gave real clues as to the sort of house it is and were to be avoided.
Latest Forum Posts