Non-motoring > Widows' Pensions/Property Legal Questions
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 7

Widows' Pensions/Property - Ambo
Widows of state and public service pension schemes are entitled to 50% of their husband's payments and vice versa. I think the same applies to UK private schemes but maybe this is optional. I believe there are no legal provisions for compulsory property inheritance.

I don't know about French state schemes but private pensioners' widows get 60% of the amount. By law, 50% of the balance of the estate, including real property, belongs to the widow and 50% to the children. A former wife who is properly divorced and then single gets a share of the widow's pension (I am not sure of what happens if the former wife has married again but is then legally single). There is of course the possibility of more than one former wife.

I think I might be called upon before long to help a lady who is married to a Englishman, recipient of a French private scheme (the same one as me) and who was formerly married to a French one and by whom he had a child. Two different pensions systems, two different legal provisions...I can foresee a long tussle and pray for his continuing survival.

Has anyone insider knowledge of this please?
 Widows' Pensions/Property - Falkirk Bairn
Uk pensions can have their own arrangements over what percentage (if any) goes to a surviving spouse.

The Pensioner can take a Pension of £XXXX per year for example for life. If they want a pension to continue for a wife at a rate of 50% the Pension would then become £YYYY per year, @70% £ZZZZ. Where X > Y > Z

One of my pensions the Survivor gets 2/3rds, the others are 50%. Equally I could have taken a larger Pension aged 60 with zero left for my wife.........sounds bad but I can assure you many men opt for money now and cut-off their wife from anything after their death!
 Widows' Pensions/Property - Ambo
We clearly need legal provisions to cover this here as well, if only because the deprived widow will probably be a bigger charge on public funds.
 Widows' Pensions/Property - WillDeBeest
...with zero left for my wife...

Appalling thought!
 Widows' Pensions/Property - Zero
>> ...with zero left for my wife...
>>
>> Appalling thought!

And you think I am happy about it?
 Widows' Pensions/Property - Falkirk Bairn
Zero - there are plenty young widows out there, then again many a good tune.......
 Widows' Pensions/Property - Zero
But still, its a long way to travel in a clapped out Lancer
 Widows' Pensions/Property - tyrednemotional
...but it's still a long way to travel with a clapped out lance........
Latest Forum Posts