Non-motoring > Honeywell T40 Thermostat Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 30

Honeywell T40 Thermostat - R.P.
We have one of these. Seemed to work ok - all of a sudden it seemed to stop clicking at the end of its range, I've removed the cover and vacuumed it out and it's clicking away again but right at the end of the travel of the dial (the lower end). Is it finished ? They seem cheap enough to replace...
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Bromptonaut
If it's not operating to cut in out reasonably close to temperature indicated on dial then it's banjaxed.

As you say, easy enough to replace.

Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Fursty Ferret
Replace with modern equivalent:

theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywell-evohome/26-honeywell-single-zone-thermostat-y87rf2024.html
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Slidingpillar
At that price... And probably a lower lifetime too, no (insert naughty word of one's choice) way.

A basic Honeywell room thermostat can be bought for £18.38 inc VAT, much better than the suggestion at £87.75 inc VAT.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Clk Sec
>> At that price... And probably a lower lifetime too
>>
>> A basic Honeywell room thermostat can be bought for £18.38 inc VAT, much better than
>> the suggestion at £87.75 inc VAT.

In my experience, basic Honeywell room thermostats rarely need to be replaced. They can last for several decades.
In my experience, basic Honeywell room thermostats rarely need to be replaced. They can last for several decades.

Exactly, the one I have has been working over 25 years now.
Plumber's here...its broken.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Zero
>> Plumber's here...its broken.

He says with much sucking of teeth.

>> In my experience, basic Honeywell room thermostats rarely need to be replaced. They can last
>> for several decades.

And in my experience, accurate and stable they aint.

I use a Drayton Digistat 1. Complicated and flashy it aint, but at 35 quid its easy to use, accurate, easy to fit and very reliable. Had one for 12 years now, had to chafe the battery once.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Crankcase
We have a Drayton wireless thingy. The Achilles heel of the system is that if the battery fails in it (whether I chafe it or not), we have, as best as I can work out, no way of turning on the heating or hot water. Luckily the local Co-op is open pretty much all time for any such little emergencies, but if it fails terminally it will be days waiting for a new one no doubt before I can turn the heating on. Hmm. Maybe I should buy another and put it a drawer ready...
>> We have a Drayton wireless thingy. The Achilles heel of the system is that if
>> the battery fails in it (whether I chafe it or not), we have, as best
>> as I can work out, no way of turning on the heating or hot water.

Your hot water should work, it has a different stat. Mine is not the wireless one, but the wired variety. Ok maybe I am not your average punter, but I know how to short it out manually to get heating on if it fails for any reason. It hasn't because it gives you a low battery indicator. And it doesn't use fancy unobtainable batteries.
And in my experience, accurate and stable they aint.

But mine seems to be repeatable. And with my hideously accurate thermometer, easy to set. (I can read temperatures accurately to 0.2 or better of a degree - I have the load thermometer from the Crystal Palace 405 line TV transmitter... I shudder to think what it cost new).
>>And in my experience, accurate and stable they aint.

Wouldn't bother me, as ours is used purely as an On / Off switch for C/H.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Manatee

>> Wouldn't bother me, as ours is used purely as an On / Off switch for
>> C/H.

Perhaps you actually set yours to the desired temperature when you are in, and down a bit when you are out, but there are people do use them only as a switch.

If they are cold, round it goes to 30 degrees. When the heat becomes unbearable, back to 10 degrees it goes, ready for the cycle to start again.

Last time I visited my aunt, I thought I had flu until I worked out what was going on.
my mother uses the radiators method.

If they are off she says it cold and turns them up. Went round there once it was 33c in the house, and she was suffering from dehydration and I had to call an ambulance.
>>but there are people do use them only as a switch.

Guilty as charged, but it works well for us.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - VxFan
>> but there are people do use them only as a switch.
>>
>> If they are cold, round it goes to 30 degrees. When the heat becomes unbearable,
>> back to 10 degrees it goes, ready for the cycle to start again.

My mum is one of these people. Drives me barmy. I'm tempted to fit a hidden stat somewhere and use the one on the wall for decoration only.

She doesn't register that if the heating is on but the radiators are cold then the rooms are up to the temperature the stat is set to. She just whacks up the stat to get the radiators hot again!!
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - CGNorwich
The problem with a set temperature is that what is comfortable very much depends on how active you are. Sitting watching TV 21C might feel cold and I would crank up the temperature a bit. Conversely if I am working it might seem unbearably warm and need turning down a notch.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - spamcan61
>>
>> She doesn't register that if the heating is on but the radiators are cold then
>> the rooms are up to the temperature the stat is set to. She just whacks
>> up the stat to get the radiators hot again!!
>>

TBH I think a significant chunk of the population do that, the couple I lodge with during the week do the same, as does SWMBO.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Jacks

>> If they are cold, round it goes to 30 degrees. When the heat becomes unbearable,
>> back to 10 degrees it goes, ready for the cycle to start again.
>>
>> Last time I visited my aunt, I thought I had flu until I worked out
>> what was going on.
>>

You would enjoy a car journey when my wife is driving ...........

Start of journey "It's cold in here" Heater goes to max. - full blower speed 4.

10 minutes later car resembles a sauna. "It's too hot now" Heater to full cold, aircon to max cold, full blower.

10 minutes later car resembles a freezer " I'm cold now " Heater to full.....well you get the idea.

Then at the end of the journey she remarks " The heating system in this car is rubbish, it's either too hot or too cold" !!!

Jacks

Honeywell T40 Thermostat - VxFan
>> You would enjoy a car journey when my wife is driving ...........

Sounds very similar to a colleague of mine. Leaves the heater setting nearly always on max and controls the temperature of the car with the fan. Either off, or on setting No. 4.

He also wonders why the windows keep misting up and has to keep putting the fan back on to clear them!!

I once tried explaining to him to put the fan on a low speed and adjust the temperature setting to regulate the heat in the car and to also prevent the misting up problem, but he just carries on his ham fisted way of doing it.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - bathtub tom
I've some friends who insist on putting all the heat through the fascia vents - fries the eyeballs while the feet freeze.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Runfer D'Hills
I do that BT. Don't like my feet too hot but I do like a bit of warmth on my body.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Old Navy
Do the thermostatically challenged also slow down when passing average speed cameras?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 17:16
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - T junction
Warm feet - cool head, me
Decent ( weather appropriate ) shoes or boots keep my feet at the right temperature, but I don't like to drive in a jacket or coat as they restrict movement so I have the airflow at chest height to either keep cool or warm as required.

Makes sense to me anyway !
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - bathtub tom
If you direct hot air to the floor (with a bleed to keep the screen clear) the warm air will rise, heating the car evenly.

Similarly, directing cool air to the fascia vents will cool the top of the interior (where the hottest air is) and the cool air will sink to the floor.

Watch how fully automatic climate control directs the air.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Old Navy
>>................ Watch how fully automatic climate control directs the air.
>>

Certainly how my system works. Like a domestic thermostat I leave it to do its job.
I don't leave it to do its job, because I have different preferences. I dislike getting my feet too warm, but I like my upper body to be. Fortunately car makers provide the option for manual override of the climate/heater controls so we can all choose what suits us. Everybody can therefore be happy eh?

;-)
He was here within an hour of my text. He was on a job a couple of miles away at the time. He spent more time gossiping and drinking his coffee than fixing the stat - he had one on his van and it was a straight swap. If I'd have had more confidence I'd have got one and changed it myself.
 Honeywell T40 Thermostat - Dog
>> He was here within an hour of my text. He was on a job a couple of miles away at the time

Confessions of a Plumber to follow ...
Latest Forum Posts