David Bowie RIP - Pat
news.sky.com/story/1620422/david-bowie-dies-after-18-month-cancer-battle

Pat
 David Bowie RIP - Ian (Cape Town)
combine, please.

Thnx
 David Bowie RIP - zippy
Shocked!

He was very much the soundtrack to my youth!

RIP
His new LP was released last week. Got it yesterday.
Pretty listenable so far.
:(
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
OMG - shocker or what!
 David Bowie RIP - R.P.
It is isn't it...can't believe it. Twittershpere was buzzing with it when I got up. Had to double check on news sites
 David Bowie RIP - Runfer D'Hills
It is a shame of course and like many here I have enjoyed his music very much. But if you change the headline to "Famous man of 69 dies of cancer" it doesn't sound too surprising does it?

We all die of something, it's inevitable.
OH dear... One of the guys at work asked 'who was David Bowie?'
I had to explain:
"You know Ice Ice Baby song by Vanilla Ice?"
"Yes."
"Well, Bowie co-wrote the song that he stole..."
 David Bowie RIP - commerdriver
RIP
Big part of my listening over the years
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
>> It is a shame of course and like many here I have enjoyed his music
>> very much. But if you change the headline to "Famous man of 69 dies of
>> cancer" it doesn't sound too surprising does it?
>>
>> We all die of something, it's inevitable.

If you change the title to "Famous man who no-one knew had cancer and kept it very quiet for 18 months, die at 69" it becomes a shock.
 David Bowie RIP - Cliff Pope
How is that famous people often seem to put on more years than the rest of us?
I can remember when David Bowie was young - younger than me, surely? Yet now he has died older than me.

Peter O'Toole used to be young - far too young to be an actor, I thought, young as in young policemen. Yet now he's an old man (or dead?).
 David Bowie RIP - Boxsterboy
>> If you change the title to "Famous man who no-one knew had cancer and kept
>> it very quiet for 18 months, die at 69" it becomes a shock.
>>

If you change it to "Famous man who led hedonistic life-style and consumed multiple drugs over the years dies of cancer at the age of 69" (not dissimilar to the late lamented Lemmy, it is hardly a shock.

A great loss, but hardly a shock.
 David Bowie RIP - CGNorwich
I understand that he died of lung cancer. Like Lemmie It what the ciggies rather than the drugs that did for him.
 David Bowie RIP - Armel Coussine
>> Like Lemmie It what the ciggies rather than the drugs that did for him.

What drugs? Bowie looked like a drug-head but I don't remember any convincing dope stories about him. Serious hard-working cat behind the flimflam I reckon.

Dope smokers inhale a lot of tobacco and hold the smoke in their lungs. Yet they quite often live to a ripe old age.

Cancer is funny stuff, still very unknown although doctors like to project an air of optimism. It seems to be the case that you can get lung cancer from drinking for example. It may start somewhere else but often heads for the lungs.

No doubt the medics and pop experts here will shoot me down in flames or get their colleagues to subject me to radioactivity when I go for a check-up.
 David Bowie RIP - No FM2R
>>What drugs? Bowie looked like a drug-head but I don't remember any convincing dope stories about him

As I recall he spent most of the 70s blasted out of his mind. I think he started sorting himself out when he got custody of the child.
 David Bowie RIP - smokie
"So open was his drug use that the normally bland British pop newspaper Record Mirror felt safe in 1975 to describe Bowie as ‘old vacuum-cleaner nose’."

From thequietus.com/articles/07233-david-bowie-cocaine-low
Ah, bit of a cokehead. At least he could afford the good stuff.

It's risky to try of course, but my experience is that a lot of drug users are fairly intelligent and as it were measured in their behaviour. They may do a few silly things at first but the smart ones learn from experience.

Depends to some extent on the chosen substances of course. Elation and greed are both dangerous. Opiates seem to be treacherous even with intelligent users.

Safest option is to avoid all drugs especially the legal ones.
 David Bowie RIP - Haywain
The news came as a shock to me. He was a truly creative bloke with an ability to combine art, fashion and music.
 David Bowie RIP - smokie
Ashes to Ashes and all that.

RIP, he was a big part of my formative years (early 70s) and I still listen to his old stuff fairly often.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
I bet everyone who has heard the news, immediately thinks of that 1972 thursday evening on BBC1 when they first saw Bowie on Top of the Pops

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v342TST9tFw
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 10:12
 David Bowie RIP - WillDeBeest
I bet everyone who has heard the news, immediately thinks of that 1972 thursday evening on BBC1 when they first saw Bowie on Top of the Pops.

Sorry, Z, but you're showing your age (and possibly everyone else's.) I thought of R4's Front Row which I was listening to on my way home last week as it discussed his new album. Didn't seem that long since he'd last surprised us with a new album, and I'd heard no 'coming soon' for the new one either. Perhaps he just preferred 'this I what I've done' to 'this is what I'm going to do'. And that seems to have included his own death.

He was already an elder statesman by the early 1980s, when I became aware of him, so I'm not a hardcore fan. But it's impossible not to respect and admire his capacity for invention and reinvention; he was the embodiment of the term 'art rock'.
He was very theatrical and new how to create a startling image but a great singer? Not for me anyway.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
>> He was very theatrical and new how to create a startling image but a great
>> singer? Not for me anyway.

Great singer? no but Not the worse singer of this or any other era. He was however a fantastic producer, writer, creater, able to create no just an image, but a whole alter ego including the fashion, the art, the style, even twisting the gender. Its true his currency wained, but never his influence on what came after
 David Bowie RIP - neiltoo
>> Great singer? no but Not the worse singer of this or any other era. He
>> was however a fantastic producer, writer, creater, able to create no just an image, but
>> a whole alter ego including the fashion, the art, the style, even twisting the gender.
>> Its true his currency wained, but never his influence on what came after
>>

Couldn't have put it better.

Same age as me.....

.....(8o(
Last edited by: neiltoo on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 10:23
I'm sure all that is true. Not sure the anyone will be paying his records in ten years time though.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
>> I'm sure all that is true. Not sure the anyone will be paying his records
>> in ten years time though.

I'll bet whats left of your pension they will.

And I'll gladly laugh at you in your resulting miserable penury.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 10:58
 David Bowie RIP - RattleandSmoke
Bowie was a true genius, and I am very shocked at the news. To me and I've always said this, Bowie pioneered the sound of modern alternative music. Even now when I listen to Hunkydury the album sounds so fresh.

I was round at my aunty's before Christmas and my 16 year old cousin was proudly showing me his small vinyl collection including many Bowie stuff. I think for my generation at least (early mid 30's) he was bigger than the Beatles.
 David Bowie RIP - Dog
>>Even now when I listen to Hunkydury the album sounds so fresh.

I'm listening to that right now as it 'appens: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQTENuQYgjM
I've made a diary note for 2026. Just make sure you live that long.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
>> I've made a diary note for 2026. Just make sure you live that long.
>>

And you make sure you haven't cashed in your pension.
 David Bowie RIP - Focusless
>> Not sure the anyone will be paying his records
>> in ten years time though.

It's nearly 50 years since Space Oddity was released, and that still gets regular air play; don't think another 10 years will make much difference :)
Indeed, Bowie is still played in all the clubs, everything from the Smiths disco (where Bowie is the only none Morrissey stuff played), 80's nights, indie nights and rock nights.

David Bowie RIP - Zero
>>everything from the Smiths disco (where
>> Bowie is the only none Morrissey stuff played),

If I want moaning and misery I'll just drop into a funeral. A smiths disco? the two words just dont compute together.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 12:19
 David Bowie RIP - zippy
Rick Wakeman was being interviewed a couple of years back and spoke about his early career as a session pianist.

He told a story about when he was skint and couldn't make his rent.

He was invited to do a session for David Bowie and when he did the session he was surprised as to how easy the piece was and said to David Bowie, that he could have played it himself, to which David Bowie replied, "You needed the rent!" in the spirit of generosity.

I watched The Man Who Fell To Earth just before Christmas, can't help thinking that Bowie was perfectly cast for the role.

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence was also another Bowie classic, though very difficult to watch.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
As a reminder on what a global icon he was, his death is on the front page in every major paper in the world Just checked the Sydney Morning Herald, the New York Times, La Monde, Die Welt.
 David Bowie RIP - MD
Fair part of my youth. Genius. Extremely wealthy as I believe he kept the rights to all of his stuff. Some guys I know did a lot of carpentry work for him here there and everywhere. Nice guy by all accounts. RIP.

>>
>> It's nearly 50 years since Space Oddity was released, and that still gets regular air
>> play; don't think another 10 years will make much difference :)
>>

A bit of a novelty record really and regularly trotted out when talking about space exploration. About the only Bowie record most people would know I suspect.

I did say records in the plural!

>> I did say records in the plural!

Well if it isn't Space Oddity it's Starman :)
 David Bowie RIP - helicopter
Never really into Bowie....

Laughing Gnome .... why?
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
Or Young Americans, or Ashes to Ashes,
Heroes
John, I'm only Dancing
 David Bowie RIP - Zero

>> I did say records in the plural!

Wow, not only didn't last 10 years, we barely lasted 10 minutes before we had started to back down on that one!
Just getting the terms clear. I want a clean conscience when depriving you of your income.

David Bowie RIP - Roger.
So - a well known pop star has popped his clogs. (Yes even I have heard of him, but could not name a song he has sung).
It's sad for his family, of course, but the media, particularly , the BBC has been all over this, like a rash, to the detriment of important news.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
>> So - a well known pop star has popped his clogs. (Yes even I have
>> heard of him, but could not name a song he has sung).
>> It's sad for his family, of course, but the media, particularly , the BBC
>> has been all over this, like a rash, to the detriment of important news.
>>

Its a period in time that passed you by roger, about the last 100 years or so I make it.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 13:34
>> So - a well known pop star has popped his clogs. (Yes even I have
>> heard of him, but could not name a song he has sung).
>> It's sad for his family, of course, but the media, particularly , the BBC
>> has been all over this, like a rash, to the detriment of important news.
>>
>>

I guess you have to get used to it. Lots more in the pipeline.
Celebrity culture innit?

Diana, Elvis, JFK etc etc.
>> Celebrity culture innit?
>>
>> Diana, Elvis, JFK etc etc.

Just imagine the media hype when that giant of pop music Cliff Richard joins David and Lemmy.
 David Bowie RIP - Dog
>>So - a well known pop star has popped his clogs. (Yes even I have heard of him, but could not name a song he has sung).

Just goes to show howl out of touch yoos been Dodger - even my two dogs have heard of wossname.
>> even my two
>> dogs have heard of wossname.
>>
never mind next door's gnomes (they heard the news on the gnome service)
I'll get my coat
...to the detriment of important news

...like Nige and his neglected nuts, perhaps?
Is someone trying to wind me up?

I posted that I wasn't that keen on these epicene girly male singers, that some of them were amusing but David Bowie wasn't.

Will this one stick I wonder? Tchah! anyway.
This "disappearing post" thing of yours happens so often AC that I am starting to wonder.

Either;

1) You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how to use the software

or

2) Some actually *does* have it in for you and *is* deleting your stuff.
 David Bowie RIP - Ted

I don't know what the guy did in life. I vaguely recollect him being involved with Davy Crockett at some battle somewhere.

Or am I getting confused again ?
>> 1) You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how to use the software

>> or

>> 2) Some actually *does* have it in for you and *is* deleting your stuff.

Must be something like that FMR. Not that I'm bothered really.

He's been around for donkey's years though, looking as young as ever. So RIP, another face gone...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 15:42
...and yet Cliff Richard goes on and on.
Might be an alien.
 David Bowie RIP - Alanovich
>> ...and yet Cliff Richard goes on and on.
>>

Congratulations.
Spooky both positng about Cliff Richard at the same time
He has powers ( or at least his friends do )
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 16:22
 David Bowie RIP - Dog
>>...and yet Cliff Richard goes on and on.

Embalming fluid works wonders with preserving human remains, I hear.
 David Bowie RIP - Pat
That's because he's never been married!

Pat
 David Bowie RIP - zippy
>> That's because he's never been married!
>>
>> Pat
>>

Post of the day!

:-)
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 17:48
Seconded!
>> >> That's because he's never been married!
>> >>
Apparently it's not true that married men live longer
it just feels longer :-)

David Bowie RIP - Alanovich
Heavens to Murgatroyd, I'm with Roger and AC on this one, a bit.

A death is usually a sad thing, commiserations to loved ones and all that.

But his music always seemed a little derivative to me, I really don't think he was the trend setter people thought him to be, he seemed to me to be good at spotting trends and bandwagons quite early though and using them to his advantage. Best example was his attempt at drum'n'bass music which was execrable.

Anyway, hope he didn't suffer much. One thing I'm surprised about though is that everyone seems, erm, surprised. I'm sure I'd heard somewhere that he wasn't seen in public much in the last few years due to a potentially terminal illness. So I wasn't surprised this morning.
While I was aware he wasn't in the media much I just put that down to being a private person. He had made a couple of albums in recent years and I suppose I thought he must be ok. I did find it odd that he didn't tour much though.
 David Bowie RIP - zippy
I see some people have been posting vitriolic comments about his passing today.

It is about time that the authorities really got tough against those idiots who post hate and bullying messages on social media.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
>> I see some people have been posting vitriolic comments about his passing today.
>>
>> It is about time that the authorities really got tough against those idiots who post
>> hate and bullying messages on social media.

Why? The bloke is dead, you can't really do much more to him than that.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 16:37
 David Bowie RIP - zippy
>>Why? The bloke is dead, you can't really do much more to him than that.

True, but his family aren't and it must be upsetting for them.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
>> >>Why? The bloke is dead, you can't really do much more to him than that.
>>
>> True, but his family aren't and it must be upsetting for them.

Unlikely, 40 years ago the press was calling him a dangerous deviant
I believe some of the current abuse is for the ultimate crime of not supporting Scottish independence.
There are some nutters about in my homeland
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
>> I believe some of the current abuse is for the ultimate crime of not supporting
>> Scottish independence.
>> There are some nutters about in my homeland

Why would he, he was English, there is nothing scottishness him in, he had musical talent how could he be a jock?
>> Unlikely, 40 years ago the press was calling him a dangerous deviant

Just as he wanted, that was the image he tried to project. In reality probably a hard-working serious musician however.

Not my sort of thing, or my sort of music, but the cat got worldwide obituaries and was pretty cool actually. A real star.
 David Bowie RIP - MD
You miserable ......
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 19:40
 David Bowie RIP - Westpig
Some people really need to get a grip.

Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2.... some pillock, apparently, didn't ride his bicycle to work today, because his wife told him he shouldn't, because he was too upset upon hearing of the news of David Bowie's demise.

What a tit.

Some bloke he'd never met, (but undoubtedly enjoyed his music) has, inevitably, died. What on earth is wrong with people?

I had to turn the radio off, couldn't listen to the drivel.
 David Bowie RIP - MD
Bowie was good. Drivel is just well, drivel.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero

>> Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2.... some pillock
>> I had to turn the radio off, couldn't listen to the drivel.

I have the same reaction to Jeremy Vine.
What on earth is wrong with people?

What's wrong with you, more like! If you have any insight at all, you'll know that music has the power to move people profoundly. Some of it - especially what we discover for ourselves as our adult brains crystallize in our teens - becomes almost literally part of us. If Bowie was it for this one fan, the feeling of loss will be perfectly genuine, possibly even physical.

Doesn't justify listening to radio phone-ins, though. What did you expect - enlightenment?
};---)
>> If you have any insight at all, you'll know
>> that music has the power to move people profoundly. Some of it - especially what
>> we discover for ourselves as our adult brains crystallize in our teens - becomes almost
>> literally part of us. If Bowie was it for this one fan, the feeling of
>> loss will be perfectly genuine, possibly even physical.

Well in that case, I must have 'missed out' then.... but don't fret for me, I'm sure i'll manage.
 David Bowie RIP - Dog
>>Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2.... some pillock, apparently, didn't ride his bicycle to work today, because his wife told him he shouldn't, because he was too upset upon hearing of the news of David Bowie's demise.

>>What a tit.

No more of a tit than thee or I WP, in our own way. I can understand 'where he's coming from' and I well-recall 30 years ago saying something along the lines of "life wouldn't be worth living if Pink Floyd ever disbanded".

We grow up and move on, hopefully.
>> No more of a tit than thee or I WP, in our own way.

Speak for yourself. I really liked Elvis's music.. but when he died I didn't have some sort of wibble. I just thought 'that's a shame' and moved on.

>> I
>> can understand 'where he's coming from' and I well-recall 30 years ago saying something along
>> the lines of "life wouldn't be worth living if Pink Floyd ever disbanded".

Eh?

That's the sort of thing a flighty teenager 'might' indulge in...(I didn't).... once you get to adulthood, surely not?
I agree with Westpig's note. It rather made me smile as well.

Seriously though, I cannot imagine being unable to remain safe on a bicycle because some rock star had died. However much I liked his music.

Like Westpig, I remain un-wibbled.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
What music does, is provide us with an index of moments of our lives. Its one of the primary memory evokers, both good and bad memories.

Musical events or moments have sometimes caused me be to be wistful, unhappy or joyous enough to wet the eye a little, but fall off me bike? No way.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 20:16
 David Bowie RIP - Roger.
>> What music does, is provide us with an index of moments of our lives. Its
>> one of the primary memory evokers, both good and bad memories.
>>
>> Musical events or moments have sometimes caused me be to be wistful, unhappy or joyous
>> enough to wet the eye a little, but fall off me bike? No way.

On the other hand the sound of a steam train in full song just might? ;-)
 David Bowie RIP - Zero

>>
>> On the other hand the sound of a steam train in full song just might?
>> ;-)

I might fall off me bike if being chased by a train, yes.
Might lose control in another area too.
 David Bowie RIP - Dog
>>That's the sort of thing a flighty teenager 'might' indulge in...(I didn't).... once you get to adulthood, surely not?

As the Beest quite rightly states " If you have any insight at all, you'll know that music has the power to move people profoundly" and that goes for growd ups too, in many cases.
 David Bowie RIP - Bromptonaut
>> Some people really need to get a grip.
>>
>> Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2.... some pillock, apparently, didn't ride his bicycle to work
>> today, because his wife told him he shouldn't, because he was too upset upon hearing
>> of the news of David Bowie's demise.

Maybe the significant bit was 'his wife told him' rather than Bowie's death per se.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
>> >> Some people really need to get a grip.
>> >>
>> >> Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2.... some pillock, apparently, didn't ride his bicycle to
>> work
>> >> today, because his wife told him he shouldn't, because he was too upset upon
>> hearing
>> >> of the news of David Bowie's demise.
>>
>> Maybe the significant bit was 'his wife told him' rather than Bowie's death per se.
>>

Probably has a brompton, it was a bit slippy this morning, easy to fall off them i hear, bit like scooters.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 20:43
 David Bowie RIP - Boxsterboy

>> >> >> Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2.... some pillock, apparently, didn't ride his bicycle
>> to
>> >> work
>> Probably has a brompton, it was a bit slippy this morning, easy to fall off
>> them i hear, bit like scooters.
>>

It wasn't too slippy this morning - I didn't fall off mine.

I sometimes pass Vine in the mornings. He rides a big framed bike, and being tall looms above most other cyclists. But too upset to ride his bike FFS!? Typical BBC type reaction!
>> You miserable ......

Surely you can't be responding to my innocent post MD? I'm not that miserable and gave the late popster due credit I thought.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 19:40
 David Bowie RIP - MD
I think you'll find it was to Dodger Me ol' mucker.
Last edited by: MD on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 20:09
>> I think you'll find it was to Dodger Me ol' mucker.

Ah... always up for aggro that one. Salt of the earth...
I'm told that one of my granddaughters is in 'floods of tears' over the old degenerate's demise. 'How doth the little crocodile... '

Actually he was only 69 so I shouldn't call him old.
 David Bowie RIP - Dog
>>Actually he was only 69 so I shouldn't call him old

Soixante-neuf is the new forty.

:}
 David Bowie RIP - MD
ooh! My back!
 David Bowie RIP - Dog
If the cap fits:www.edgeoftheworld.com/p/12720/Old-Guys-Rule-Cap:-Legends-Badge---Denim-Khaki

:}
 David Bowie RIP - Roger.
The Beeb is still in full hysteria mode for the 10 pm news.
 David Bowie RIP - VxFan
>>The Beeb is still in full hysteria mode

Local radio station (Jack FM) is still milking it this morning as well.

Anyone would think he was famous! ;)
 David Bowie RIP - Dutchie
He sang together with a lad from Hull Mark Ronson in his early day.I liked some of his songs unusual but good.
 David Bowie RIP - Haywain
"He sang together with a lad from Hull Mark Ronson in his early day."

It was Mick Ronson; sadly he died back in '93 of liver cancer, aged 46.
 David Bowie RIP - The Melting Snowman
I don't understand what all the song and dance is about. An ageing musician dies, what importance is that outside of his family and friends? He was ill so difficult to understand why people are 'shocked'.

I don't remember this much fuss when Bill Tarmey passed away.
 David Bowie RIP - Bromptonaut
I was listening to Radio 5 live c06:00 as the report first came in. It completely changed the news agenda for the morning which was previously about alleged misconduct of British soldiers in Iraq and the consequent legal cases.

David Bowie RIP - sooty123

>> I don't remember this much fuss when Bill Tarmey passed away.
>>

In fairness david bowie was well know, bill tarmey who he?
 David Bowie RIP - Dog
>>bill tarmey who he?

Duck Jackworth.
 David Bowie RIP - MD
Paddle off will you....
 David Bowie RIP - Manatee
What a load of moaners.

Bowie wasn't one of my favourites but he was a considerable artist in a range of media, with a lot of fans. Ordinary folk can't go to the funeral and want to pay their respects.

My erstwhile brother-in-law even got married in an Aladdin Sane inspired outfit (some time ago, about 1975 I think).
 David Bowie RIP - bathtub tom
>> My erstwhile brother-in-law even got married in an Aladdin Sane inspired outfit (some time ago,
>> about 1975 I think).

I think we were all probably wearing that sort of outfit in the '70s.
Nope, I wasn't, WW2 sheepskin flying jacket, 501s, tan Circle Kane cowboy boots, white T-shirt.

Almost as bad of course.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 12 Jan 16 at 20:08
 David Bowie RIP - bathtub tom
>> Nope, I wasn't, WW2 sheepskin flying jacket, 501s, tan Circle Kane cowboy boots, white T-shirt.

I had you down as the Jason King type: dvdtoile.com/FILMS/70/70988.jpg

;>)
No, not even close BT. I did buy a suit with flared trousers once, wore it a couple of times, realised it looked ridiculous and more or less decided at that point that I'd just wear what I liked and not worry too much about high street fashion. Still have the same attitude to this day.
 David Bowie RIP - Dog
>>WW2 sheepskin flying jacket

Still got mine. Proper one like, with mid brown sheepskin collar. Bought 30 years ago and I can still fit in it, innit.
 Leather jackets - Slidingpillar
Flying jackets are often a choice of the open car driver - although there is something better at what is now a hideous price (I bought mine many years ago).
www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=9
The advantage of horsehide is it is almost waterproof, unlike the sheepskin of flying jackets which rapidly takes on the appearance and feel of a drowned rat. My barnstormer has been extensively tested in several summer storms where I had to stop owing to being unable to see where I was going. And worn to mend the car in a muddy field - wiped off the mud with a rag and you'd never even know.
 Leather jackets - Runfer D'Hills
I used to wear mine to drive my Westfield. Did I ever mention that...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 13 Jan 16 at 14:53
 Leather jackets - Zero
>> I used to wear mine to drive my Westfield. Did I ever mention that...
>>
>> ;-)

I bet you had string back gloves......
 Leather jackets - Runfer D'Hills
Gauntlets, leather ones, and goggles. Yeah I know, you don't have to say it. Rhymes with "stick" right?

;-)
 Leather jackets - Dog
>>The advantage of horsehide is it is almost waterproof, unlike the sheepskin of flying jackets which rapidly takes on the appearance and feel of a drowned rat

My Craghoppers Brampton jacket cost me all of £42 and is totally waterproof ;)

www.edgeoftheworld.com/p/17337/Craghoppers-Brampton-Jacket-Mens---Charcoal
 Leather jackets - Slidingpillar
My Craghoppers Brampton jacket cost me all of£42 and is totally waterproof ;)

And is just the ticket if sweating is your thing... Learnt that lesson as a student who cycled everywhere, including 7 miles each way to lectures. Plus, the horsehide jacket is tougher than many motorbike jackets, handy with no seatbelts and lots of spiky bits!
 Leather jackets - Dog
>>And is just the ticket if sweating is your thing

Um, it states on the ticket that the material breathes :o)

But seriously, I only bought the jacket for walking the dawg.
>> I think we were all probably wearing that sort of outfit in the '70s.

No we weren't.

I've never worn an 'outfit' in my life. I wear clothes, me. Trousers, tee shirts, things like that.
Fairly randomly assembled by all accounts AC?

;-)
I once went to a fancy dress party when I was about 17 in a Superman outfit. At some point in the proceedings I must have sat on a plate of Ritz crackers spread with cream cheese and prawns. No one told me of course and I walked home some 5 miles or so on the Sunday morning with the crackers still attached to my backside.

My father was mowing the front lawn as I approached. I seem to recall that he was somewhat taken aback by it all.
 David Bowie RIP - MD
I recall having some strange shoes in the 70's. But hey, at the time weren't we coooool!
No

;-)
I went to a Toga party in London. I went by train with my friends. Wearing Togas. We entertained all with our wit and repartee. Arrived at the party, got drunk. Stayed the night.

It snowed.

Coming home the next morning on a train, in the snow, wearing flip flops and a sheet (which I am sure had been a convincing toga only the day before) was not so much fun and certainly not so cool (not even in our own minds).
Another fancy dress, this time the theme was tarts and vicars. Well, my mate, very tall, very skinny and very ginger went as a tart. Quite convincing in the role for a bloke, stockings, suspenders, high heels, metallic silver bra, Pom Pom on the back of the knickers but very little else really.

Anyway, on the way to the venue and about a mile from it he asked for the car we were in to be stopped so he could use the cashpoint.

You're almost certainly ahead of me here, but suffice it to say he got left behind to walk the rest of the way to the party on his own.

Brought a whole new meaning to the phrase "Not a happy bunny"

;-)
 David Bowie RIP - Fullchat
"He sang together with a lad from Hull Mark Ronson in his early day.I liked some of his songs unusual but good."

Not forgetting Trevor Bolder who died in May 2013 and 'Woody' Woodmansey who is still going strong.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 12 Jan 16 at 22:51
 David Bowie RIP - Roger.
Chukka boots, cords, checked shirt, tie and a loud sports-coat, in winter!
Silk Cut dangling, or between fingers, beer in hand and a pipe with Balkan Sobranie in the jacket pocket.
Trad jazz nights out - at The Trent Bridge Inn, twice a week!
(I hate to admit it, but I also had a nasturtium coloured jumper available!)
Hadn't realised you were an American Roger. Just goes to show...

;-)
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
got to be a hat in there somewhere
 David Bowie RIP - Manatee
I'm trying to remember which finance company Roger worked for, once upon a time.

A pal of mine worked for Bowmaker in the 60s/70s. They had to wear hats in order to be properly attired. They also got a cigarette allowance, supposedly for proffering them to prospective customers (that went on until they were taken over in the 80s. At least one, of my acquaintance, was still wearing the hat then along with a Bud Flanagan fur coat and smoking like a chimney. What a guy).
 David Bowie RIP - Roger.
T'were "Britain's Best Finance Company". Lombank.
Watched this on iPlayer last night - great Bowie documentary made a couple of years ago, including entertaining contributions from Rick Wakeman (played on some of his early work, as mentioned above), Brain Eno & Robert Fripp (Low, Heroes), Carlos Alomar (lots) and Nile Rodgers (Let's Dance):
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0214tj1/david-bowie-five-years

The 5 years aren't contiguous; it covers Hunky Dory (1971), Ziggy Stardust, Young Americans, Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Scary Monsters, Let's Dance (1983).
Last edited by: Focusless on Sun 24 Jan 16 at 13:42
www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35449063

50% to the wife, 25% to each child, and a few gifts.

How very refreshingly decent and straight forward.
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
>> www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35449063
>>
>> 50% to the wife, 25% to each child, and a few gifts.
>>
>> How very refreshingly decent and straight forward.

If I'd been called Zowie, I'd want more compo than that.
I know £70M is a "lot" in fact it's an awful lot, but somehow I expected him to be wealthier than that. Not sure why, just did.

I expect he muddled by on it though.
>> somehow I expected him to be wealthier than that.

He'd known he was dying for a while. What with that and rich people wealth management then I suspect that he is [was] richer than that.
 David Bowie RIP - PeterS
I wonder how royalties, which will continue well beyond his death, are valued at probate?
>> I wonder how royalties, which will continue well beyond his death, are valued at probate?

All the heirs will have phalanxes of lawyers wasting the court's time. Nice little earner for one and all (except the heirs of course, but they should be all right if and when the dust clears...)
 David Bowie RIP - Zero
>> I wonder how royalties, which will continue well beyond his death, are valued at probate?
>>

isn't probate your worth at death? You can't tax stuff not yet earned because its not known.
 David Bowie RIP - PeterS
>>
>> isn't probate your worth at death? You can't tax stuff not yet earned because its
>> not known.
>>

Yes, that's what I thought. But Bowies back catalogue alone must yield an income stream I'd be more than happy to live on, never mind the album released 2 days before his death and which is (still?) number one. So those are also are assets that have been left to his wife/children who will continue to benefit (all subject to income tax, depending on domicile I suppose). I just wondered if (how?) the copyrighted material was 'valued' as an income generating asset... Not that it's likely to trouble me in my tax planning ;)
>> If I'd been called Zowie, I'd want more compo than that.

They can call me what they like for $25 million. Anyway young Zowie seems to have made out OK by rock baby standards.
 David Bowie RIP - smokie
£120m according to last year's Times rich list, plus £15m for Imam.

features.thesundaytimes.co.uk/richlist/2015/live/richlist/view/group6/1/rank/-/bowie#list

EDIT you may need membership to view the page
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 30 Jan 16 at 19:53
The reason David Bowie only had 100 million dollars was that he was just an artist. Money showered down on him in improbable quantities, and unlike the Stones for example he didn't seem to make any effort to multiply or protect it. That's the impression I get although I may be sentimentalizing the young degenerate.

Quite touching actually. For someone on the rich list.

No doubt there are lots of friends and associates who attend to all that. Seems more than likely.
 David Bowie RIP - John Boy
I have the same impression, AC. I was never a massive fan, but everything I've read about him since he died has led me to believe that he was an okay guy.
Lest we forget...
The chap from Jefferson Airplane - Paul Kantner.
 David Bowie RIP - Dog
I have their Surrealistic Pillow LP ... [large black disc made of vinyl with a hole in the centre, used to be played on record players back in the last century]
 David Bowie RIP - zippy
>>50% to the wife, 25% to each child, and a few gifts.

>>How very refreshingly decent and straight forward.

Yes, $700k to his child's nanny and $1.5m to his PA of many years, quite a decent thing to do.

I also recall he sold the rights to the royalties on his old songs back in the 1990's for $55m quite an astute thing to do really as when internet downloading (pirating) came along the value of royalties plummeted.
 David Bowie RIP - zippy
Missed the edit...

According to Wikipedia: "The Bowie bonds liquidated in 2007 as originally planned, without default, and the rights to the income from the songs reverted to Bowie."
>> They can call me what they like for $25 million. Anyway young Zowie seems to
>> have made out OK by rock baby standards.

Goes by the slightly less exotic name of Duncan Jones these days.
 David Bowie RIP - R.P.
Produced an excellent low budget Sci Fi film- The Moon.
Latest Forum Posts