Non-motoring > New Passport Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 40

New Passport - Runfer D'Hills
My new passport arrived this morning. Pretty good service I thought as I only sent the old one off in the middle of last week.

It's one of them there new fangled ePassports. My old one must have been one of the last of the previous types. I so look forward to joining the queue of others who can't get the e readers to work instead of just breezing up to a desk...

;-)
 New Passport - Zero

>> It's one of them there new fangled ePassports. My old one must have been one
>> of the last of the previous types. I so look forward to joining the queue
>> of others who can't get the e readers to work instead of just breezing up
>> to a desk...
>>
>> ;-)

Yeah go for the desk every time, if you scowl at the e-reader booth it wont recognise you, whereas scowling angrily at the Borders and Imigration Idiot is very satisfying.
 New Passport - Crankcase
Wait - what? There are ePassports now?

Even less chance of me renewing ours then. I think they expired a couple of years ago and had no need to do anything with them.
Don't worry Crankcase, you don't have to charge it up!

;-)
 New Passport - helicopter
look forward to joining the queue of others who can't get the e readers to work instead of just breezing up to a desk..

Precisely what happened to me at Gatwick last time we came through, decided to try new
passport ....SWMBO breezed through and I got trapped somewhere in the middle, neither in nor out of UK...it would have been far and away quicker to go to the normal gate.
 New Passport - Old Navy
>>..SWMBO breezed through and I got trapped somewhere in the middle, neither in nor
>> out of UK...it would have been far and away quicker to go to the normal
>> gate.
>>

Same with us last time we tried to get back in.
 New Passport - MD
>> Yeah go for the desk every time, if you scowl at the e-reader booth it wont recognise you, whereas scowling angrily at the Borders and Immigration Idiot is very satisfying.
>>
I knew it was your post just reading it. Hey hey have to agree though. They are there in 'force' now when we come back from Madeira us being a dodgy threatening lot and all that.
 New Passport - mikeyb
Tried it once - wont bother again. Desk was far better
I come through uk border control regularly, often with the same colleague. He's had an ePassport for a while now so by way of an experiment we've got into the habit of having "races" to see who can get through to baggage reclaim first. He by going to the e readers and by default I've been using the desks. We've been keeping score.

( yeah I know, but you have to do something to break the monotony of modern air travel )

So far, over about a years worth of regular trips I'm winning hands down.

At Stansted ( I think it was there anyway ) I was even given a slip of paper when I joined the end of the queue by someone with a clipboard which was to be handed in to the border control desk on reaching it. They were monitoring the waiting times.

I strongly suspect they know very well that the e readers are not yet functioning efficiently enough.
 New Passport - Roger.
Whenever did a government funded IT scheme every work properly before being rolled out?
 New Passport - WillDeBeest
Got my e-Passport in 2015 - like Humph, I had one of the last of the old style - and find the e-gates at LHR are invariably quicker than waiting for a human officer. The one time (first, I think) it didn't work, I was ushered to a special desk for a normal check, all in much less time than I'd have been in the other queue.
Maybe it's a people problem rather than a technology one then? I guess it only needs a couple of folk struggling to use the facility to cause a traffic jam.
I'd guess LHR T5 has a higher proportion of frequent and tech-savvy travellers than most (all?) other UK airports. Probably keeps the queues flowing better.
 New Passport - Old Navy
>> I'd guess LHR T5 has a higher proportion of frequent and tech-savvy travellers than most
>> (all?) other UK airports. Probably keeps the queues flowing better.
>>

What is tech-savvy about putting your passport on a glass plate and looking at the camera? As stated, government + IT = not good. (Unless there is a fine involved)
Maybe not much but, as with anything new, everyone has to do it for the first time and there's a bit you need to learn: feet on the marks, passport the right way up, take your hat off and so on.

Passengers who fly once a year are more likely to be new to this or to find they've forgotten it since last time, so an airport with a higher proportion of these is likely to have more problems with the e-gates. I've not been to Stansted - in fact I've no recent experience of any UK airport but Heathrow - so I'm just trying to suggest an explanation for the difference between Humph's observations and mine.

I do have to start and end a trip at Gatwick next week, so I'll see if there's any difference there.
 New Passport - Bromptonaut
>> Maybe not much but, as with anything new, everyone has to do it for the
>> first time and there's a bit you need to learn: feet on the marks, passport
>> the right way up, take your hat off and so on.

Regular users develop a 'knack' for these things. For a more mundane example see station ticket barriers.
 New Passport - Mike H
>> I do have to start and end a trip at Gatwick next week, so I'll
>> see if there's any difference there.
>>
Suspect you'll find it's quicker to avoid the ePassport route, that's certainly been the case the last few times I've been through.We'll be there on Wednesday, so we'll see how it goes.
Last edited by: Mike H on Tue 12 Jan 16 at 09:40
 New Passport - Mike H
Well, bit of a surprise! Came through Gatwick at c.6:30pm Thursday, and the ePassport area was clear, with free machines, so used that and got through successfully first time. No queues at the desks either. Obviously a good time/day to arrive.
 New Passport - Zero
>> Well, bit of a surprise! Came through Gatwick at c.6:30pm Thursday, and the ePassport area
>> was clear, with free machines, so used that and got through successfully first time. No
>> queues at the desks either. Obviously a good time/day to arrive.

Try Gatwick at 11:45 pm, getting through passport control is ok, getting your bags is a whole new ball game, 3 hours we waited once till I phone the old bill and them them violence was breaking out.

I trained Mrs Z to survive a vacation on cabin baggage after that.
 New Passport - Mike H
>> Maybe it's a people problem rather than a technology one then? I guess it only
>> needs a couple of folk struggling to use the facility to cause a traffic jam.
>>
Part of the problem is that there are two styles of ePassport, and the illustration on the scanner showing how to position the open page is incorrect for one of them, hence the confusion slowing the queues down. They changed the page layout inside after introducing them, but I can't remember whether the older or newer is shown. Either way, I find it difficult to work out which way round it goes.

It's also worth remembering that you don't have to through the "EU Passports" route, you can use the "All Passports" one as well.
Last edited by: Mike H on Tue 12 Jan 16 at 08:40
Only time I've arrived in UK by air recently was from Palma to East Midlands. Went through the e barrier and kind of understand the if you frown thing.

Coming back via Dover/Calais/Eurotunnel the passportsget scanned but the id stuff is mk 1 eyeball. Other than being asked to remove my glasses I've never had an issue.
That's a new term for a border control official!

A "passportsget"

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 11 Jan 16 at 22:25
 New Passport - legacylad
I always use the auto passport readers when visiting the States. Assuming that facility is available. Much quicker than the normal route, especially at larger points of entry.
Agreed, LL, the ESTA kiosks are fantastic: two minutes instead of 40+. ATL even has inch-thick carpet to stand on while you scan.

I did break the first one I used by being too tall for the camera to find my face. Had to get a uniform (who had a sense of humour quite out of keeping with the stereotype) to come and fix it for me.
Out of character indeed. Normally they shout at you at American immigration. Although, that seems to be a particular feature of JFK as opposed to other airports.
 New Passport - legacylad
Several years ago I always used Chicago ( ex Man with BMI) as my point of entry. Always a nightmare with several missed connections. Immigration is far far quicker these days, even thru LA, although SLC, Portland & Seattle are my preferred points of entry, in that order. Everything is down to price with me, and travel times are all roughly similar.. The only given being that I fly from LdsBradford, my local airport.
 New Passport - Slidingpillar
Whenever did a government funded IT scheme every work properly before being rolled out?

And there you have it. 'Government' and 'IT' go together like fish and bicycles.
 New Passport - movilogo
In my passport, my photo page is a thin page - just like other pages in the passport.

But in my wife's passport, the photo page is a thick one (cardboard like) and laminated.

We applied for passports within a week of each other's application. So why there were 2 (or more) different types?

I prefer my wife's passport design. The photo page should be cardboard like page so that it is difficult to get damaged and easier to show on flights/immigration.

New Passport - Zero

>> I prefer my wife's passport design. The photo page should be cardboard like page so
>> that it is difficult to get damaged and easier to show on flights/immigration.

Sounds like she has an e passport, and you dont.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 13 Jan 16 at 12:53
 New Passport - movilogo
Mine is e-passport as well.
 New Passport - Zero
>> Mine is e-passport as well.
>>

you sure? check for a wire loop on the back of your picture page. Its the wire loop that makes that page thick. You may have a machine readable passport, but not an E passport.
 New Passport - No FM2R
>>In my passport, my photo page is a thin page - just like other pages in the passport.

In my passport the photograph page is certainly not as thick as the cardboard page I had before, but it is slightly thicker than the other pages.

It is an ePassport
 New Passport - movilogo
My passport shows the e-passport symbol so I guess it is an e-passport.

I never managed to test it though as we always travel with little one who can't use e-passport gates (age < 18).

When I'll travel alone next time will test this.

If my passport turns out to be not an e-passport can I ask them to change it to such free of charge? I thought all new passports are e-passport by default (mine issued in 2010).

New Passport - Zero
Maybe they have thinner loops and chips now, bout it needs to be fairly rigid so you dont break the chip
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 13 Jan 16 at 10:52
 New Passport - No FM2R
>>t it needs to be fairly rigid so you dont break the chip

Something must have changed. Mine is an ePassport and I have used it as such. I got it May 2015

The photo page is a little thicker than the other pages but holding it up to the light, as I am doing right now, I can see no sign of chip or coil in that page. Or any other page for that matter, though who knows what is in the very stiff covers.
I suppose I'm going to have to take more care of this one. All my previous passports have been creased and bent and the outside printing worn off etc by the time they've expired as I have a habit of just keeping it in my front jeans pocket when travelling.

I'd imagine the chip wouldn't stand a great deal of abuse.
 New Passport - CGNorwich
I think they are both e passports (you can tell by the chip symbol on the front cover below the word "Passport"

What you have is one of the old style and one of the new style which are currently being rolled out (as from December 2015).

The change to the personal details page is a security improvement.

www.gov.uk/government/news/new-uk-passport-design-launched

New Passport - BrianByPass
Two UK ePassports in front of me:

Mine, issued 2008, has digital photograph on last-but-one page which is thick like cardboard, and there is a chip embedded in the back of that page as shown by example here rfidiot.org/passport-chip-full.png

My wife's passport, issued 2013, has two digital photographs on second and third pages. The photo on the second page is not "laminated". The third page includes all details such as d.o.b, date of issue, etc and is partially "laminated". There is no chip that is discernible anywhere. However it is an ePassport as proven by using it successfully at the e-gates at Heathrow. These features and new "hidden" location of the chip were reported in 2010:

www.gov.uk/government/news/new-uk-passport-unveiled

New security measures include:

- moving the chip which stores the holder’s details to the inside of the passport cover where it will no longer be visible. This gives additional physical protection as well as making it much harder to replace the chip without damage to the passport cover being spotted

- a secondary image of the holder printed onto the observations page

- a new transparent covering which includes several holograms to protect the holder’s personal details
Checked my Feb 2015 e-passport, which exactly matches Brian's description above. And I know it works - except the first time, when perhaps it was so new that a database hadn't been fully updated.
 New Passport - movilogo
>> exactly matches Brian's description above

Mine is exactly the same.
>> Mine is exactly the same.

Also describes The Lad's, issued in late 2014 after he lost an earlier one one a Uni trip to Belgium - WW1 stuff for his history module.
Latest Forum Posts