Non-motoring > Waistline worries Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 27

Waistline worries - Armel Coussine
I used to have these but I don't any more, although I eat what I like. I used to be quite piggy with food but these days don't eat much. Herself sometimes eats more than I do even.

Trousers that used to be tight on me now have a couple of inches to spare and have to be held up with braces, under the tee shirt and anything else I put on to keep warm. I don't take systematic exercise either, although I suppose I take a bit just in the nature of things.

I'm not fit at all, being pretty lazy, but I'll take not being fat as a sort of second-best. No sign of any long-term illness either, although one always worries about the possibility... something gets everyone sooner or later, and when you're my age it's sooner. I hope it will be quick and painless.
 Waistline worries - Runfer D'Hills
I felt really sorry for an old guy the other day. He was going through airport security and had had to take his belt off like everyone else. Anyway, he must have triggered a beep going through the thingy and was asked to raise his arms to be patted down.

Shortly after the security guy started the old geezer's trousers dropped round his ankles.

At first there was a stunned silence all round until his wife roared with laughter setting everyone else off of course. The gentleman was apparently less amused.
 Waistline worries - Pat
>> and have to be held up with braces, under the tee shirt <<<

No, no, no, no noooooo AC, you just can't wear braces under a T-shirt, it's simply not cool.

Now, go and find a nice designer belt, leather and preferably with a Celtic design and put that on.

Otherwise there's no hope for you, is there?:)

Pat
There is indeed a lot of work to do. Not least the shoes.
 Waistline worries - Ted

Can you recommend anything smart for the old geezer from your range at Primark, Humpy ?
 Waistline worries - Bromptonaut
>> Now, go and find a nice designer belt, leather and preferably with a Celtic design
>> and put that on.

Naah, you want one of these:

www.rohan.co.uk/All-Mens-Sale-Offers-Anywear-Belt?ocode=03777133

Utterly practical and lasts forever.
 Waistline worries - Pat
Sorry Bromp, but that's not cool either.

Try looking here

www.centaurdesign.co.uk/belts-and-accessories/celtic-leather-belts?page=1&itemsperpage=500

Well worth it:)

Pat
 Waistline worries - WillDeBeest
Some nice bits of leather there, Pat, but I fear the whole site fails Bromp's man-made fibres test - because it doesn't seem to have any. Not very useful for anchoring things to the outside of one's Berlingo, either.
 Waistline worries - Dog
>>Try looking here

www.centaurdesign.co.uk/belts-and-accessories/celtic-leather-belts?page=1&itemsperpage=500

Ah, just what I need. My friend Lauri used to make some nice belts and knock 'em out for about 26 quid in the '90's. Nice thick hand-carved jobbies they were too. I'm wearing a 1" belt made by him to hold my shorts up
(I'm still in shorts!!) I did have the wider type at one time, gawd knows what happened to it though.
 Waistline worries - Pat
I can recommend them, I had one made for Ian at Christmas and it still smells delicious.

Customer service is excellent too.

Pat
I had one made...at Christmas and it still smells delicious.

Went for the mulled one, did you?
 Waistline worries - T junction
Seconded, I have 2 of their belts, bought at the workshop. and modified to my size while I waited.
Good Lord Bromp, that's taking pragmatism and utilitarianism to a whole new denominator!

How much self esteem do you have to have lost before you get there?
I suppose if it can't be used to lash down a teetering caravan in a gale, it's not really worth the trouser space it occupies. The trousers themselves, of course, need to be able to accommodate the family of badgers displaced in order to park the caravan in the first place.
 Waistline worries - Slidingpillar
www.rohan.co.uk/All-Mens-Sale-Offers-Anywear-Belt?ocode=03777133

Utterly practical and lasts forever.

There's another advantage, no metal. So the buckle won't set off security scanners, and won't be a problem should you go for a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) test. (I get one about every 6 months to do with my nerve condition). No need to remove belt, trousers don't fall down.

I've got three of their belts in various colours to suit trousers/other clothes.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Thu 14 Jan 16 at 17:55
 Waistline worries - Ambo
A.K.A. Sandhurst Belt. Cheap versions slip
>> you just can't wear braces under a T-shirt, it's simply not cool.

I am cool Pat, so everything I do passes for cool.

>> Now, go and find a nice designer belt, leather and preferably with a Celtic design and put that on.

Belts are a mixed blessing. If they keep the strides up they are too tight for comfort.

I used to have a wide and thick leather belt with a very heavy brass buckle. Gave it to someone in Nigeria, a bit of a thug and hooligan, who had done me a big favour by providing a very rough Japanese jeep thing (not his of course) to drive from Lagos to Calabar through the then-recent Biafra, a gruelling trip through the Niger delta with its 42 famously dangerous bridges. I've got a photo of it in front of Ikot Ekpene Service Station.

I sometimes worry that the belt could have been used subsequently to kill or injure someone although the hooligan, a professional bodyguard, wasn't really a nasty person. That brass buckle was very heavy and things can get very rough in Lagos.
 Waistline worries - Pat
>>If they keep the strides up they are too tight for comfort.

I used to have a wide and thick leather belt with a very heavy brass buckle.<<

Now, watch my lips AC:)

The art of getting older gracefully is slightly altering the design for comfort but it's so striking and chic, that everyone thinks it's purely fashionable.

Now go for the narrower one with a smaller buckle.....

Pat
Pat: I am so striking and chic that everyone thinks I'm purely fashionable. The ones who don't are far too prudent to say so.
 Waistline worries - legacylad
I used to have an extensive range of belts, predominantly purchased from REI. Being a generous person, if a friend admired one I would invariably let them have it. Mostly plastic buckles....wide heavy leather belts with a huge metal buckle might fit the image if you ride a Harley in southern CA, but look ridiculous on mostpeople.
These days I get mine from Thomas Bates or Bison Design. Something to suit most tastes.
 Waistline worries - Cliff Pope
What a pathetic sight, old men arguing over trouser belts for heaven's sake.

A belt is just a bit of leather, a buckle, and a hole punched at the right place with one of those rotating spikey things. If it's too long just cut it and shape a new pointed end with scissors.
A link somewhere in this forum mentioned 'five foods you shouldn't eat', so naturally I jumped through all the hoops to see what they were.

Top of the list I think was 'orange juice made from concentrate' which I consume in large quantities suitably diluted with vodka. Oh dear. Alcohol got a distinguished mention too I think.

I don't think mint tea, which Herself drinks, comes out very well either. Cinnamon is good though and I hopefully ate a sticky iced cinnamon cake for breakfast. All this sugar and pastry and fat is supposed to be deadly, but I'm still here, not too porky either.

I hope pride doesn't come before a fall. I totter a bit these days.

:o}
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 15 Jan 16 at 15:51
 Waistline worries - No FM2R
Oh.

Well, orange juice I squeeze myself from the trees in the garden so that's probably ok. The vodka might be a bit of an issue I suppose, but you have to dilute the orange juice somehow.

Cinnamon rolls are staple in my life.

I don't know what the other foods are in the list, but I probably eat them all as well. [sigh]
I seem to remember vitamin supplements as being bad too. I wouldn't dream of bothering with them though.
 Waistline worries - Alanovich

>>
>> I don't know what the other foods are in the list, but I probably eat
>> them all as well. [sigh]
>>

Just as well you cant get a kebab there. Just ordered one myself.
 Waistline worries - No FM2R
Oh you b******.
 Waistline worries - Ambo
Alcohol seems to carry a lot of weight, so to speak, not only because it is quite calorific in itself but because it makes you hungry - at least until you get a skin-full and its calories make you feel satisfied enough.

I lost quite a bit of weight when I cut my booze intake to one glass of wine per evening on 5 or 6 evenings weekly. This was not through virtue or medical worry: for some reason I just don't want any more now. My 75 kilos is OK, BMI-wise.
 Waistline worries - legacylad
My Xmas present to self was a mixer job ( not cement). It has a 2 litre capacity, so enough soup & smoothies for several meals on one mixing. I'm no kitchen meister ( apart from bacon sarnies and pancakes) so it's suck it and see. No reducing waist line yet, but plenty of healthy, and tasty, eating. I wish I could lose a couple of inches off my waistline, and my reduced beer intake in Jan should help.
Latest Forum Posts