Non-motoring > Netflix to block proxies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 10

Netflix to block proxies - Crankcase
Assuming this is so, and Netflix will soon be blocking proxy access, I wonder how many UK users will cancel? There's not much there in comparison with the US version, that for sure. Suspect I'm about to be six quid a month better off...

Anyone else use NF by proxy?

www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/netflix-to-block-proxy-access-to-content/news-story/c9c529115ad605dff8cba080e02898a0

Netflix to block proxies - CGNorwich
They are only doing what they are obliged to do protect contents suppliers' rights surely. Surprising that they have not acted already.
 Netflix to block proxies - Crankcase
Agreed, they should have done it ages ago, and using a proxy is basically theft I guess. This makes me a bad person I know. Can't really complain.
 Netflix to block proxies - CGNorwich
Can't really complain.
>>

No, that's right.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 15 Jan 16 at 07:58
 Netflix to block pixies - WillDeBeest
Small screens can play tricks when you're not really paying attention.
 Netflix to block pixies - Roger.
Does this include a VPN?
 Netflix to block pixies - Crankcase
Yes it does, apparently.
 Netflix to block pixies - Zero
A VPN is how most of the free proxies work. The method they use to block a proxy, is to disallow VPN traffic.

There is a way round it using network address translation.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 15 Jan 16 at 08:21
 Netflix to block pixies - Ambo
Orange is the new garbage and in fact there isn't enough good stuff on Netflix to justify the cost. But Amazon Lovefilm's formerly excellent service has gone off, having a far slower turnaround. I stick with it because the film selection is so good, for me anyway.

Someone on this forum warned me a while ago that Amazon's Prime streaming service doesn't have the same selection as Lovefilm. Is that still the case? I am tempted to dump my Apple TV in favour of whatever device I would need for Prime.
 Netflix to block pixies - Crankcase
That was me, ambo, and yes, it's still the case that there are way more discs to rent than films to stream. Surprised about your turnaround comment though. We find we send back our weekly film on a Monday and it's never later than Wednesday or Thursday that the next one comes. As we watch it on a weekend night as convenient it works fine for us.

Back on Netflix, I read that apparently they may impose a check on the location of the account holder's source of payment, as that's hard to fake. Not sure how that will work if you have a UK card but are travelling, as logging in from your temporary territory to access their stuff is allowable.

Anyway, a leaked email from Sony about Netflix makes it look as if they are serious this time and really will (have to) do something.

I'm actually struggling to recall the last time I watched anything on Netflix anyway, as in my lunch break I'm trawling through all the Amazon Tom and Jerry's they've just put up. Great stuff.

Edit. Not sure about that apostrophe in Jerry's. Anyone?
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 15 Jan 16 at 17:41
 Netflix to block pixies - smokie
"Anyone?"

Please, no.
Latest Forum Posts