Thread Author: MD Replies: 36

Is it me... - MD
...or what?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-35321855
 Is it me... - Zero
>> ...or what?
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-35321855

Well as the court found him guilty, I assume out wasn't what or you.
 Is it me... - No FM2R

>> I assume out wasn't what or you.

That gets my award for the sentence of the day.
 Is it me... - Crankcase
I haven't worked it out yet but I didn't like to say so.
 Is it me... - Haywain
Does he look like you?
 Is it me... - MD
Are soles are cheap today. you lot would know 0:-)

He's been convicted, he refuses to step down. What's on then?
 Is it me... - Bromptonaut
Previously he could have been referred to the Standards Board for England and formally drummed out but that body was amongst the other worthy outfits cremated on Dave's Quango bonfire.

I suspect 'conversations' will take place over weekend will see him offered a (metaphorical) bottle of whisky and a revolver and he'll be gone within a week.

Is it me... - Zero
Is it public office? is there an "unfit for" process?
 Is it me... - legacylad
I wouldn't want my local councillor downloading indecent images. Be it boys, girls, animals or whatever. Sicko.
 Is it me... - Roger.
Parish councillor, it seems.
No real power, not too important. Just perceived status.
>> Parish councillor, it seems.
>> No real power, not too important. Just perceived status.

Almost agree with Roger.

Is it me... - Zero
>> Parish councillor, it seems.
>> No real power, not too important. Just perceived status.

Public eye, cocking a snoop, needs a slap.
 Is it me... - legacylad
Not too important then as a parish councillor. If he were head of my local city council that might be different....I feel sorry for his family.
 Is it me... - CGNorwich
No real power? The parish council is responsible for the allotment waiting list. More suspected skulduggery than FIFA.
Bit more about him here:

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/councillor-charged-making-possessing-indecent-8878388

www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/95580/buckley-guilty-over-indecent-pics-charge

Offending was 'at lower end of scale' whatever that means.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 16 Jan 16 at 10:48
 Is it me... - Roger.
Screaming national news if he'd been a member of UKIP!
 Is it me... - Zero
>> Screaming national news if he'd been a member of UKIP!

Well now they know what kind of fellow he is, the invitation to UKIP is probably winging its way over now.
 Is it me... - Slidingpillar
Offending was 'at lower end of scale' whatever that means.

I can get hold of the guidelines for images. I assume the offence relates essentially to inappropriate contact and rating method I assume would be similar would be similar.

This is the image scale.

The SAP Scale
1 Nudity or erotic posing with no sexual activity
2 Sexual activity between children, or solo masturbation by a child
3 Non-penetrative sexual activity between adult(s) and child(ren)
4 Penetrative sexual activity between child(ren) and adult(s)
5 Sadism or bestiality

There'd be no argument from anyone (I think) with levels 2 to 5, but number one is bit subjective. The issue of nudity is very much depending on your views and upbringing. I could easily understand the same picture of nudity being both declared as offensive and perfectly normal.

CPS words here:
www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/indecent_images_of_children/
 Is it me... - Crankcase
Funny you should say about views and upbringing, SP. I was in the Fitzwilliam yesterday and came across the Millais picture of a little girl. I found looking at it made me a bit uncomfortable and I really struggle to understand why, but I can't get away from it. Whether it's the 21st century overtones being put by me on a nineteenth century picture and making something of nothing I don't know. The title is a bit provocative too, with our sensibilities, not sure about then. It's called Cherry Ripe (she does have a bowl of cherries) and it was a well known song too.

I dunno. I guess I'm just being super sensitive to something I'm sure wasn't and isn't really there. Pic is on this page, what do others think? It's fine, isn't it.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Ripe_(song)
>> what do others think? It's fine, isn't it

Hmmm. At one level yes, it's a picture of a little girl.

OTOH looking more analytically the rouge, reddened lips and general facial structure are perhaps those of a (late?) adolescent. There's also something about the upper legs/thighs/hips which, albiet perhaps emphasised by the dress, are not those of a pre-pubescent.
 Is it me... - Armel Coussine
I don't see anything sinister about it. It's just a not very good painting of a bad-tempered-looking child, dressed up as a miniature adult as children often have been.

Essentially it's just not a very good painting, a bit ugly. I'm not going to speculate about the painter's knickers being in some sort of twist. That isn't interesting.
>> Essentially it's just not a very good painting, a bit ugly.

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting the painter was a paedo, just that's it's a poor representation of a little girl. Maybe he adapted it from something else?
>> Just to be clear I'm not suggesting the painter was a paedo, just that's it's a poor representation of a little girl.

That's my point too Brompton: it's not a very good painting, although the model's recalcitrance comes through quite clearly.
 Is it me... - Cliff Pope
>> >> Essentially it's just not a very good painting, a bit ugly.
>>

What about the famous Pears Soap adverts then? The one of the small girl stepping out of her bath "I'd forgotten my Pears soap" must be hanging in countless households.
 Is it me... - Crankcase
Well, times have changed. The gentleman lower left in the famous Fragonard swing picture would probably do time today. I don't know if that's good or bad. Perhaps this is the 18th century equivalent of a Carry On film.

paintingandframe.com/prints/jean_honore_fragonard_the_swing-8197.html
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 16 Jan 16 at 18:21
>> The gentleman lower left in the famous Fragonard swing picture would probably do time today. I don't know if that's good or bad. Perhaps this is the 18th century equivalent of a Carry On film.

>> paintingandframe.com/prints/jean_honore_fragonard_the_swing-8197.html

Do time? Nonsense. He's just in the right place at the right moment. Phwoar, as they say... anyway the ones who like layers and layers of frilly underwear and long knickers.

Nice painting of a pretty girl.
 Is it me... - Runfer D'Hills
Odd isn't it that we are disturbed and embarrassed by swearing and nudity but that every other tv drama programme focuses on and routinely depicts murder and violence and is regarded as family entertainment.

Or it might just be me who thinks that.
 Is it me... - Crankcase

>> Or it might just be me who thinks that.

Definitely not just you. Even the trailers shown pre-watershed are too much for us sometimes, never mind the actual programmes. Usually when I'm eating my tea too.
 Is it me... - Runfer D'Hills
My wife likes any drama programme involving dead bodies, especially ones where they cut them up to find out what happened.

While I can't say I'm disturbed by them, I don't particularly regard them as entertainment or worth bothering with.

>> Odd isn't it that we are disturbed and embarrassed by swearing and nudity but that
>> every other tv drama programme focuses on and routinely depicts murder and violence and

Indeed. Never understood the campaigners conflation of sex and violence.
 Is it me... - Zero
>> No real power? The parish council is responsible for the allotment waiting list. More suspected
>> skulduggery than FIFA.

There is no "suspected" about allotment skulduggery. It exists in spades.
 Is it me... - CGNorwich
Yep, At the risk of being accused of muck-raking allotments are a fertile area for little investigative digging.
 Is it me... - tyrednemotional
...a bit of a growth area....
 Is it me... - Zero
All kinds of plots going on.
>> All kinds of plots going on.

The allotment commitee will soon root them out.
 Is it me... - CGNorwich
That should shed some light on it.
 Is it me... - Zero
Hoe Hoe Hoe
Latest Forum Posts