Non-motoring > Another way Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 21

Another way - Runfer D'Hills
I've just had an email from a pal. We used to work at the same company many years ago. He's a bit older than me, ten years or so. We still keep in touch.

Anyway, he went self employed at one point, did ok for himself but his pension was knackered along the way.

About a decade ago he decided that he'd had enough of conventional working, sold his house, bought a flat to keep as a uk base and also bought an ocean going sailing yacht. ( sailing had always been an interest for him and his wife )

The flat is rented out and they simply follow the sun, taking paying guests on the yacht to supplement their income as required.

This year, they have followed the Pacific coast of America north to south, been to Hawaii and are currently in New Zealand.

Seems a whole lot more interesting than trying to figure out how to pay the bills sitting in the uk on an old age pension eh?
 Another way - mikeyb
I have a lot of respect for people who are brave enough to not take the conventional route.

I'm actually quite jealous
 Another way - Zero
The recent deaths of Bowie and Frey have kind of made me think. Im 62 this year, both were musical icons of my youth, and both have karked it before 70. Plan for the future? Fork that, I am starting to think live for the day is right answer.
 Another way - CGNorwich
Cheer up. Life expectancy tables give you another 20 years.
 Another way - Zero
>> Cheer up. Life expectancy tables give you another 20 years.
>>

dont ruin it!
 Another way - Westpig
>> Fork that, I am starting to think live for the
>> day is right answer.
>>

Safe in the knowledge that if you needed a Blighty nursing home eventually..and had nowt left, you'd get one anyway, regardless of what you'd spent your dosh on.

However, if you'd planned for that rainy day and had some dosh in the bank and/or equity in a property... you'd have to fork out a fortune and subsidise those with nowt.

Wish I had the bottle to plan to spend the lot. I won't of course, not in my make up.
 Another way - Dog
I'm gonna live 'til age 98 [just letting you know]

Chap I purchased a property orf when we came back from the Canines was a qualified sailing instructor/TM teacher/architect/builder/sex maniac etc. etc.

He sailed to the South Pacific, and the Caribbean with his lovely wife Sophie.
Last I heard he was orf to live in Northumberland.
 Another way - ....
>>The recent deaths of Bowie and Frey have kind of made me think. Im 62 this year, both were musical icons of
>>my youth, and both have karked it before 70. Plan for the future? Fork that, I am starting to think live for the day
>>is right answer.

Lancer play in the steering rack, cam belt coming up, now this...I expect there will be an XF shooting brake announcement any day now. Question is will out have a supercharger and >400 horsepower ? Do they do one ?
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 19 Jan 16 at 20:05
Either that or a motorbike. The number of guys +/- my age who suddenly have motorbikes! You see them standing in laybys on Sunday afternoons with a tab on, in their leathers pretending ( or wishing ) they are waiting for a friend.

;-)
 Another way - Zero

>> Lancer play in the steering rack, cam belt coming up, now this...I expect there will
>> be an XF shooting brake announcement any day now.

Stop it
C or E 63 estate...
 Another way - Kevin
>Do they do one ?

XFR-S Sportbrake - 540bhp.
 Another way - Bobby
>> I am starting to think live for the day is right answer.

My wife, sister and I work in Hospices. My dad volunteers in one. Over last year there seems to be more and more patients we are seeing in their early 40s, some in their 30s.

Friend's mother and father died within 6 months of each other after retiring. Their dream was always to go on the Orient Express but they couldn't afford it. They had 30k in their rainy day fund when they died. And the pension fund went with the 2nd death.

Probably , unconsciously, these situations contribute to how I feel about forward planning and trying to live every day.

Another way - Bobby
A few years ago at a Keycamp in South of France, I got talking to their maintenance guy. He was from South of England and had a flat back home which he rented out.

He worked in the Keycamp, got paid, and had free lodgings for the duration of the summer season. When that finished he just used his money and went touring the world, with no fixed destination, until it was time to come back to France again.
 Another way - ....
See, my Caterham with tow bar and trailer suggestion wasn't so daft after all. I still don't believe a black lab can ride a mountain bike though.
 Another way - legacylad
Are Caterhams homologated to fit a towbar? When I looked at an MX5 several years ago you could not legally fit a towbar. And doing so illegally invalidates the insurance. I have a detachable Westfalia towbar on my ragtop.
My bruv has finally seen the light... His small private pension is going down the pan so he is about to blow his 25% tax free sum, give up work and drawdown his full personal allowance each year.
 Another way - ....
>> Are Caterhams homologated to fit a towbar?
>>

Minor details. I'm sure there's something out there that's both exciting to drive and practical that does not come out of D. Need to be quick though as 2020 will change all of that.
 Another way - Alastairw
I intend to grow old disgracefully. That's another 50 years of having fun, though only part time as I can't see any way I will be able to fully retire, in the conventional sense.
 Another way - MD
Here I sit on the pan with my first cuppa of the day and you lot have really cheered me up!

Seriously though I'm like Westie and maybe haven't got the bottle to go against convention although the decent camper route has tried to lure me. Both parents died young and I'm now past their deceased average. It does start to bring it home to you. Went to two funerals last Thursday and then got the sad news that a farmer chap that we new when daughter was a. Sprog had died early last year. Apparently started with cancer in the leg of all things. Life can be very cruel.

Regards...
 Another way - Dog
My ole bruv always had the idea of being a clean dosser :)
I suppose he achieved that to a certain extent in as much as he wasn't short of a few bob, plus he had an annuity, but he was known for being very mean, except to his daughter, two grandchildren plus the brewery. He only put the heating on when it was absolutely necessary, and would wash in cold water. His car was an old 2.0 diesel Corolla which he had until he was found dead (ruptured a/aneurism) on the floor of his semi in Maidstone, Kent, by his daughter, which he purchased after his divorce back in the early 80's:

www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2598303,0.522149,3a,20y,141.77h,91.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siTDbQhzkmxaY6ZS1sVvroA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

His original intention was to spend the winters in the Spain or the Canaries, which is how I came to stumble upon Tenerife, but we had fallen out by then (he could be a devious bar steward) so I ended up going out there on my own, renting a studio right bang on the seafront for £70pw:

www.google.co.uk/maps/@28.0490541,-16.7119004,3a,34.7y,234.47h,90.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s207gswvQeIwCBqR4pLJy1A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

and living on tinned sardines or tuna, splashing out on a chicken at the weekends.
Maybe I take after him, or it runs in the family, as I have 500 litres of heating oil in my tank, and the price of said oil is sooooooooo firkin low at the mo but, will I put the the heating on ... will I f***.

:}

Another way - John Boy
I don't have the bottle for the kind of thing being discussed here. My excuse is that I've got a bad leg, blah blah blah. Someone sent me a link recently which really made me sit up and take notice. Don't be put off by the source or the title:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9S3n_tILKo&feature=youtu.be

Another way - MD
You Swine,

Moving or what!

Regards,

MD.
Latest Forum Posts