Non-motoring > Hand driers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 38

Hand driers - VxFan
Horrible nasty things.

They're noisy.

Work intermittently. making you frantically wave your hands under them to wake up the sensor again, until the next time they stop again.

Stop prematurely because they overheat due to the build up of dust/fluff inside that no one ever cleans out, leaving you waiting for the thermal cut out to trip back in again.

Half the time you end up finishing drying your hands by wiping them on your clothing.

Who else hates the darn things?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 12:56
 Hand driers - Bromptonaut
>> Who else hates the darn things?
>>

Me. Nothing beats a roller towel.
 Hand driers - TheManWithNoName
We've got those 'orrible Dyson things in our office bogs. All noise and no go. Bit like their vacuums.
Much prefer Airforce driers.
Blimey, I sound like a drier nerd!

Wanders off muttering how the Airforce DBX119 mark 2 was the best they ever made...
 Hand driers - madf
My valet hands me a warm towel to dry my hands.
 Hand driers - Runfer D'Hills
I just try not to wee on my hands.
 Hand driers - tyrednemotional
.....but fail......?
 Hand driers - CGNorwich
Well they're modern aren't they? No one here likes anything invented after 1950. Outside bogs, cold water only and nothing to dry your hands with. So much better in the olden day. :-)
 Hand driers - John Boy
I'm with Runfer on this. If you wash your hands, you've still got to turn the door handle. And what's on that?
 Hand driers - No FM2R
I've always rather felt that it was more important to wash your hands before you pee.

Goodness knows what germs have got onto my hands in the course of a day; do I really want to transfer them to my willy?
 Hand driers - No FM2R
BTW, as I found out a few months ago, it is also very important to wash your hands before you pee if you've been cutting chili peppers.
 Hand driers - Ian (Cape Town)
>> BTW, as I found out a few months ago, it is also very important to
>> wash your hands before you pee if you've been cutting chili peppers.
>>

I learned that lesson years ago after massaging a fellow athlete's legs (he was a whacko running a 100mile race) with some menthol-based stuff called Deep Heat.
Hot day, much sweat, ran/shuffled alongside him for a few miles, stepped into the bushes for a pee...
 Hand driers - Bobby
>> wash your hands before you pee if you've been cutting chili peppers

many years ago a colleague I worked with told a similar story, however the washing hands should have happened between cutting the chillis for the first homemade romantic dinner with his new girlfriend, and the getting very intimate on the couch later on.

Apparently she was a screamer...........
 Hand driers - Bromptonaut
>> I learned that lesson years ago after massaging a fellow athlete's legs (he was a
>> whacko running a 100mile race) with some menthol-based stuff called Deep Heat.

There's a story (hopefully apocryphal) of a couple who had tubes of Deep Heat and KY Jelly adjacent in the bedside cabinet.....
 Hand driers - Robin O'Reliant
>> wash your hands before you pee if you've been cutting chili peppers.
>>

Try it after you've put Caustic Soda down the plug hole in the shower.

And don't ask me how I know.
 Hand driers - No FM2R
Damn Robin, that must have been a hard-learned lesson!
 Hand driers - Zero
>> Damn Robin, that must have been a hard-learned lesson!

No one has ever had to tell me not to stick my dick down the plughole
 Hand driers - Duncan
>> I'm with Runfer on this. If you wash your hands, you've still got to turn
>> the door handle. And what's on that?

Haven't we done all this before?

I always try to have a tissue, napkin, or piece of kitchen paper in my hand to grasp the door handle.

Why is it that you can get into the loo by pushing the door or doors with your arm, sleeve, or shoulder, but to get out you have to grasp a door handle and pull it toward you?
 Hand driers - No FM2R
>>Haven't we done all this before?

If that ever becomes a criterion its going to get very quiet around here.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 14:50
 Hand driers - Zero
>> >> I'm with Runfer on this. If you wash your hands, you've still got to
>> turn
>> >> the door handle. And what's on that?
>>
>> Haven't we done all this before?

Yes, but as the average age of this place is getting on a bit, repetition, and often, is inevitable.
 Hand driers - CGNorwich

>>
>> Yes, but as the average age of this place is getting on a bit, repetition,
>> and often, is inevitable

Yes, but as the average age of this place is getting on a bit, repetition and often, is inevitable.

Hand driers - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>>>
>> Yes, but as the average age of this place is getting on a bit, repetition
>> and often, is inevitable.
>>
>>
>>
>>
Haven't we done all this before?
 Hand driers - Runfer D'Hills
Eh? Pardon?

Just after 9.00 I should think.
 Hand driers - VxFan
>> Me. Nothing beats a roller towel.

Eeek!!

All those germs from those people who used it before you where you have to grab and pull it it to roll it on, and if it's reached the end of the roll and won't pull round anymore it's even worse.
 Hand driers - Crankcase
As ever, the Mythbusters did their thing comparing paper towels, towel rolls and air dryers for hygiene, by which they meant putting stuff on their hands, using the drying methods and then counting all the droplets of overspray on walls, taps and so on after a period of time.

In those terms, the air dryers came off much the worse, as for much of the water on your hands they basically shoot the bacteria infected droplets in all directions before it all evaporates.

Paper towels were best, from memory.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 14:05
 Hand driers - neiltoo

>> In those terms, the air dryers came off much the worse, as for much of
>> the water on your hands they basically shoot the bacteria infected droplets in all directions
>> before it all evaporates.

We were architects for a major mineral water company. They would not allow electric dryers in any part of the plant or offices. They used the big blue paper towels.

Generally in public toilets, or in pubs, I drip dry.

8o)
 Hand driers - smokie
... and what about the factoid on a TV show I saw recently which was that when you flush the bog a mist of water (or whatever else you may be flushing) are sent 6ft around the room. So shut the lid before you flush...
 Hand driers - bathtub tom
SWMBO watched a guy coming out of the gents in a pub still zipping up his fly and drily commented: "That's why you should never eat crisps or nuts out of the bowls on the bar".
 Hand driers - Armel Coussine
Good idea to be squeamish about anything obvious, but to avoid crisps and nuts on the bar just on general principle is a bit finicky really.

Isn't it a good idea to acquire a whole range of 'local immunities'? One's bound to get the squits from time to time anyway, even at home or in hospital. They soon pass unless one has pampered one's innards to excess, something that sometimes verges on illness it seems.
 Hand driers - R.P.
The building I did work in had very undesirable toilets. Downstairs was shared with a Housing Association and someone there had serious hygiene and bowel problems going by the detritus he left behind. Paper towels to dry hands...so I stopped using them. First floor was reasonable but still a shared facility with the HA - but clearly Mr Giant Skidmark never managed to get upstairs to pollute this one, and hell it even had a decent 4G signal. Motion :-) activated light though...paper towels again..loose. Second floor was a cramped cubby-hole with no signal and a manual light - again loose paper towels......

Where I work now is a very modern and well maintained office block. Excellent facilities cleaned every day. A hand drier has been placed at the ideal height for a dwarf at 90 degrees to an urinal....bit iffy using it if someone is having a Simon Dee....a large industrial roll appeared there this week. I always use hand-cleaner on returning to my desk.
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 15:51
I liked the Soviet-style bogs in Prague, with a formidable grim lady sitting on a chair next to a bowl of tips, Westerners expected to produce actual crowns rather than old kopecks or whatever the little copper things were.

Made a contrast with a nightclub bog in Chad... while I was still looking for it in what I thought was a field out the back I noticed I was in a boggy place from the squelching underfoot and a moment later - from the pong - that it was the actual bog...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 15:59
 Hand driers - Stuartli
My club offers both a hand drier and paper towels - you can probably guess the most popular and successful choice.
 Hand driers - VxFan
>> My club offers both a hand drier and paper towels

My workplace does too. Trouble is the paper towel dispenser is empty by lunchtime.

Hence having to use the hand drier, which I hate.

One of the two driers fitted on the bog wall has a knackered bearing inside it. It makes a right old racket. Sounds like it's in pain.
 Hand driers - R.P.
One option is to take one's own hand towel.
 Hand driers - VxFan
What! And look a right Nancy. No thanks ;)
 Hand driers - Clk Sec
>> What! And look a right Nancy. No thanks ;)

You could carry a pack of pocket friendly size wipes. No one will know...
 Hand driers - VxFan
>> You could carry a pack of pocket friendly size wipes. No one will know...

I don't think walking into a toilet with a bulging pocket is acceptable either ;)
>> I liked the Soviet-style bogs in Prague, with a formidable grim lady sitting on a chair next to a bowl of tips

The bogs themselves, I forgot to specify, were utterly spotless. The demeanour of the old Communist lady made it clear that they had damn well better stay that way, or else.

There was a real, if somewhat limited, upside to Stalinism. Not being Kulturny was frowned on rather, for years after the death of actual Communism, a demise still denied and regretted by those brought up in the old way.

It was a different world, not that long ago. Competing power blocs pecking each other's combs and rowelling each other with spurs like tiresome noisy cockerels.

Hand driers - Alanovich
>> Not being Kulturny was frowned
>> on rather

Indeed, AC. The thing about this which surprised me most was that it was widely considered "nye kulturny" to smoke indoors, even though about 146% of people smoked. hence "papirosi", those weird looking ciggies with a small amount of (lethal, vile, black) tobacco, stuck on a longer cardboard tube, so you could hold the item with thick gloves on.
 Hand driers - Cliff Pope
I recently experienced a hand drier whose heating element has failed. The blast of cold air on my wet hands left them numb with cold, like making snowballs with bare hands.
Latest Forum Posts