Non-motoring > Phoning to and from France Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 18

Phoning to and from France - Ambo
Phoning to, prefix 00 33. Phoning from, prefix 00 44. In each case, does the first digit of a local number have to be deleted please?
 Phoning to and from France - Mike Hannon
Presumably you mean the '0' of the local code. Yes.
Thanks, but what about phoning a French number?
 Phoning to and from France - sherlock47
Same for France - delete any leading 0
Noted witt thanks
 Phoning to and from France - No FM2R
1) International number

International access* / country code / city code / number
+ / 56 / 2 / 2222 1111

2) National Number

Long distance access / city code / number
0 / 2 / 2222 1111

3) Local number

Number only
2222 1111

Each one of those you leave out will default to where you are. Any one you use which is already where you are will be ignored.

So if you put every number you have in your contacts using the format of 1) above, it will work from anywhere in the world, but always use the most efficient method. i.e. it will not dial the country code if it doesn't need it.

So you use the zero for a long distance call, and not if not.

*International dialling access varies from country to country, '+' works anywhere / everywhere.
 Phoning to and from France - Dulwich Estate II
If phoning to France from a BT line try some of these options:

Cheap Calls to France

1p / minute 0844 869 9900 0033 Omit 0 then . . . . .

1p / minute 0844 605 7777 0033 Omit 0 then . . . . .

1p / minute 0844 869 0044 0033 Omit 0 then . . . . .

1p / minute 0844 861 8686 0033 Omit 0 then . . . . .

2p / minute 0844 838 0990 0033 Omit 0 then . . . . .

From a mobile

8p / minute 07744 880044 0033 Omit 0 then . . . . . (To Landline only)

If calling from a landline in France to UK there are similar options I can let you have if you want them.
That "from a mobile" one is damned expensive. 8p pm!! I pay around 1 US Cent per minute between South America, North America, UK and Mainland Europe from my cell phone. Thus I would imagine that UK France will certainly be the same or less.

I don't know anything about calls from a landline since I only ever use that for free local calls.
 Phoning to and from France - smokie
Calling France from my Virgin monthly-plan mobile would be 90p a minute. I imagine you have some special plan or number which gets you such a reasonable rate?
Absolutely.

I use Rebtel.

I install the App on my phone. I pay credit onto the app. Whenever I make an international call the app automatically traps it, translates it to a local call to Rebtel, a VOIP call to the UK and a local call to, say, my Father.

It works out at around 1p for 5 minutes. So it costs me about $50 US per year for all my international calls.

No special numbers or codes to dial, no software needed on the other end, you can set up incoming if you want, but I haven't. In fact, no conscious effort at all.

It can make it VOIP from me, but I don't like the quality. So its normal cellular voice from me to local office.

The standard is actually better (no delay, no echo, less noise) than if I dial direct.

I have been using them for a long time. I cannot imagine I will ever bother to change.

www.rebtel.com/

If you or anyone else do decide to use them, then if I give you a link I will get credit for your credit, if you see what I mean, at no expense to you.
 Phoning to and from France - smokie
So that does depend on an internet connection for the VOIP. Which I assume the OP must have, as he posted here :-) It also depends on a mobile phone which OP may not have been planning to use.

I presume the call recipient doesn't need to be a rebtel user too? I've used a similar product called Viber (free calls to other Viber users - internet required) and it's companion Viber Out (for non-internet recipients).

No, that is the point, no internet connection required. It is a normal local call.

You can use it on a landline also, but then you need to use an access number.

It is free to other Rebtel users.
 Phoning to and from France - legacylad
Presumably I can use this method for calling the UK from Spain? I know you recommended something else a while ago but unfortunately had a medical issue which laid me low for a while & now I have a lot of catching up to do!!!
 Phoning to and from France - Runfer D'Hills
Workitis?
 Phoning to and from France - legacylad
Unfortunately not. Immune system went awol a few years ago. I forget about it then it suddenly bites back.
LL;

Send me an email if you want my thoughts on cheap and flexible international calling.

M.
>>So that does depend on an internet connection for the VOIP.

I see the confusion...

My cell phone automatically makes a local call to local Rebtel number -> Rebtel routes it from their office locally via VOIP to their office local to the destination -> Rebtel make a local call to, say, my father.

I dial the number as normal, if it is an international number the app captures it and automatically routes it via the local Rebtel office.

I like it because I do nothing different. No special codes, no access numbers, no internet access, no data traffic, nothing. And for my Father, or anyone else, he just receives a local call.

I don't have to set up each number, it works for all international numbers. All I ever had to do was install the app and add credit.
 Phoning to and from France - Ian (Cape Town)
As an aside.
Every country has a different ringing tone. Bear that in mind.
So you might be calling from UK to France, hearing what you *think* is an engaged signal, but it it in fact the tone which means that the phone on the other end is actually ringing.
Locally, engaged is a 2 second BOOOP second pause 2 second BOOOP...
Ringing is brrrr brrrr brrrr.
Nigeria the ring is a 2 second BOOOP second pause 2 second BOOOP.

Confused - you will be.
 Phoning to and from France - Dutchie
When I ring Holland I use the number 08444623232 first cheaper calls.

Then the 0031 number local code without the 0 and home number.
Latest Forum Posts