Non-motoring > Grounding the mains Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 1

Grounding the mains - smokie
I have a full size electronic drum kit out in the garage which I play for fun. it has a "brain" which you can plug in your iPod, then plug in some headphones and bang along to some good old rock 'n' roll - without bothering the family and neighbours too much.

Anyway I just went for a session but my iPod was dead so I plugged it into the 4 way gang which I have the drums plugged into. Holding the iPod lightly I can "feel" an electrical "hum". And now I noticed it I can also feel it on some of the drum kit components. I replaced the 4 way gang and still have the problem.

I think this is caused by poor grounding isn't it?

I have had a new consumer unit in the last couple of years with those circuit breakers on instead of fuses, wouldn't one of those have tripped if the grounding was bad?

Where would I start looking or how would I test? Is it dangerous?
 Grounding the mains - tyrednemotional
...given the connection of two powered items, it might well be an "earth loop".

Two things you can try:

With drumkit and iPod both plugged in, remove the link between the iPod and kit, and see if the problem goes away.

When your iPod is charged, use it as normal but detached from the mains and see if the problem goes away.

Both of these should break any "earth loop" and if that's the case, you've diagnosed, but not fixed it (though it isn't dangerous, and if you don't normally use the iPod "on-charge" you can probably just ignore it.

(Fixing earth loops can be messy, and may need a "ground lift").
Latest Forum Posts