Non-motoring > Waitrose worried? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 64

Waitrose worried? - Old Navy
We used his airline.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3427353/Now-Jet-s-easyFood-s-25p-Airline-founder-opens-mega-discount-store-takes-aim-Aldi-Lidl.html
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 2 Feb 16 at 14:55
 Waitrose worried? - commerdriver
Shouldn't think Waitrose are worried at all, one more place to filter out the riffraff :-)
 Waitrose worried? - DP
Waitrose won't be worried. Discounters like Aldi and Lidl have nicked market share from Tesco, Asda and Morrisons rather than Waitrose, and I suspect another discounter in the market will affect those three further.

Waitrose's market share has actually grown slightly since 2013.
 Waitrose worried? - Alanovich
Amazon Groceries will be launching here soon.

They're all dead.
>> Amazon Groceries will be launching here soon.
>>
>> They're all dead.
>>

One of my daughters has started using that, apparently you set up a monthly shopping list which you can add to or delete from. She says it is much cheaper than other sources and she is a bit of an expert on these matters.
Amazon only do non-perishables at the moment, but are about to add a fresh food range.

The supermarkets ought to be cacking themselves.
With the Amazon setup you have to have a minimum of five items delivered monthly, this is your core shopping list. My D mentioned toothpaste, toiletries, breakfast cereals and cereal bars for her family.
 Waitrose worried? - Robin O'Reliant
"Everything at 25p".

Remember the Happy Shopper brand? I bought a packet of their tea bags once, you needed three to a cup to colour the water. Food at that price is going to be what the manufacturers swept off the floor.
 Waitrose worried? - Dog
This young lass appears to be doing ok: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-34639919
That does not do much for the tourist rip off image. :-)
 Waitrose worried? - Dog
No but, the clowns will still keep coming down here, and getting ripped orf is all part of the fun :o)
 Waitrose worried? - No FM2R
Not getting the "ripped off" bit.

Stuff with "Best Before" dates expired, which are mostly arbitrarily applied for manufacturers restocking goals rather than any particular relationship to food quality.

Seems pretty good to me.

If nothing else it might stop them putting artificially early dates just to drive restocking.
 Waitrose worried? - Dog
The flour I buy to make my bread is always close to the best before date for some strange reason, but it doesn't bother me one iota.

www.amazon.co.uk/Gilchesters-Organics-Strong-Whole-Wheat/dp/B0105RMNYI
 Waitrose worried? - DP
'Best Before' dates are really only quality guidelines. They can be safely ignored, within reason.

It's 'Use By' you need to watch out for.
 Waitrose worried? - R.P.
I was thinking about this whilst opening a bottle of Worcester sauce the other day. There is a very feint use by date on the lid. The received wisdom is that it tastes better the older it is.
 Waitrose worried? - Armel Coussine
Great stuff Worcester Sauce. My old man liked it too. I remember it used to come in bottles with an internal cork collar in the neck and a glass stopper. With these modern bottles you can tip some into your open mouth when you feel like a drink of it.

Women don't seem to like it much. Herself doesn't and my mother didn't.
 Waitrose worried? - Runfer D'Hills
My wife likes it ( as do I ) cheese on toast without Worcester sauce would be just wrong. As would lentil soup, or pea and ham come to that, then there's mince, how could you cook mince without a tablespoon of Worcester sauce in it. Well you couldn't is all.
 Waitrose worried? - No FM2R
b*****.

With all this talk of Worcester Sauce that'll be me back on the Bloody Marys tonight.
Tomato soup too, just wrong without Worcester sauce.

I only drink b***** Marys on aeroplanes incidentally, no idea why, but there it is.
>> I only drink b***** Marys on aeroplanes incidentally, no idea why, but there it is.
>>

Blimey, me too. Got a whole plane of Bosnian refugees hassling the trolley dolley for them once during the war.
Very sporting missus you have Humph.

FMR talking about b***** marys has made my mouth water. Perhaps there will be some tomorrow fingers crossed.
 Waitrose worried? - CGNorwich
Worcester sauce's principal ingredient is rotting anchovies. Apparently the smell when it is maturing is overpowering.

The Romans were very keen on a spiced fermented fish sauce called garum which they exported all over the empire and is believed to have been similar to Worcester sauce.

(You might find that useful on Quiz Night down the pub)
Funny that, it has indeed often reminded me of my first wife.
 Waitrose worried? - Manatee
Yes I think it's the anchovies that some people don't like. They should try Henderson's Relish, widely available. In Sheffield.
So's Dandelion and Burdock. Doesn't make it good though.
 Waitrose worried? - Bobby
>>So's Dandelion and Burdock. Doesn't make it good though.

I remember when I worked in Safeway and Morrisons took us over. They didn't understand that the whole of Britain was not Yorkshire.

In their first few weeks of distribution, they deleted Tunnocks as a supplier and also produced planograms showing that the Barr Irn Bru had to be cut back from 12 bottles wide on the shelf, to 2, and the remaining space to be used for Dandelion & Burdock.

The final straw was when they produced new signage for the aisle, instead of carbonates the sign was "Pop".

At that point our Scottish Area Mgr felt he had enough balls about him to tell his new bosses some home truths!
Goodness knows why, but I've just remembered American Cream Soda with a spoonful of ice cream in it. Maybe that was an Edinburgh thing of course.
I tried a Root Beer vanilla float in Nova Scotia last year. Truly horrible.
Showing my age now, but does anyone else remember Cremola Foam? It was a bit like fruit flavoured Andrews Liver Salts. Oh and butterscotch Angel Delight? I made the mistake of telling my mother I liked that ( and the banana flavour ) when I was about 8. It took me until well into my 20s to get her to stop trying to serve it to me over tinned pears.
I saw this recently.

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-couple-who-last-two-7248155
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 2 Feb 16 at 19:31
Marvellous !
 Waitrose worried? - Skip
>> Showing my age now, but does anyone else remember Cremola Foam? It was a bit
>> like fruit flavoured Andrews Liver Salts.
Yes I remember it ! ISTR it came in a tin. I doubt that the ingredients were 100% natural.
Imps, tiny little hard black lumps of very strong liquorice-ish but slightly Fisherman's Friend flavoured things in a matchbox like packet. Send to buy them from the "Tuck Shop" just outside the school gate, and "Penny Chews" ( 1d that is ) Toffee things.
>> Goodness knows why, but I've just remembered American Cream Soda with a spoonful of ice cream in it. Maybe that was an Edinburgh thing of course.

Do stop it Humph... I adored ice cream sodas, a special treat at Elephant House in Trincomalee for when our mothers were drinking coffee and rabbiting.

Elephant House had all the British stuff that we were supposed to long for. Apart from the sodas I thought it a terribly boring place selling stuff I didn't fancy. I genuinely preferred peppery local food.
 Waitrose worried? - Dog
>>Cream Soda with a spoonful of ice cream in it

Now you're talking! .. I could go some of that right now as it 'appens. Pint glass, half filled with cream soda wivva large chunk of Cornish ice cream in it. Had no idea what 'Cornish' actually meant back then of course!
Imitation cigarettes made of some kind of confection you could eat, and of course cinnamon sticks you could actually smoke.

Frys chocolate cream eh?
I get a picture of old men shaped like barrels. :-)
Zero?
>> Frys chocolate cream eh?

FFS stop it Humph (drool).
 Waitrose worried? - Dog
>>Frys chocolate cream eh?

Yoos just reminded me of c1958/9, sitting on the settee (as we called them) on a Satuday evening, eating far too much Fry's chocolate cream while watching Quatermass and ... being as sick as a Dog!
 Waitrose worried? - Ted

Quatermass eh ? that would be the black and white fillum, set in Hobbs Lane where they unearthed a buried alien craft ?

Scared me as well............probably still does !
 Waitrose worried? - Dog
>>Quatermass eh ? that would be the black and white fillum, set in Hobbs Lane where they unearthed a buried alien craft ?

Reckon so. I'm more into warm jubblies though these days.

:o}
 Waitrose worried? - Zero
>>
>> Quatermass eh ? that would be the black and white fillum, set in Hobbs Lane
>> where they unearthed a buried alien craft ?

Indeedy, that would be Quatermass and the pit. I have the colour film, and I also have the black and white TV series, which was - even by todays standards - fantastic.

Waitrose worried? - Focusless
>> Indeedy, that would be Quatermass and the pit. I have the colour film

On TV recently-ish - Horror Channel IIRC, freeview 70.

Worth keeping an eye on Horror Channel, they do have some decent stuff occasionally, as well as old Dr Who re-runs. I have it in my favourites after Film 4 (chan 15) and Movie Mix (32), but before Talking Pictures (81).
 Waitrose worried? - Zero
>> >> Indeedy, that would be Quatermass and the pit. I have the colour film
>>
>> On TV recently-ish - Horror Channel IIRC, freeview 70.
>>
>> Worth keeping an eye on Horror Channel, they do have some decent stuff occasionally,

Indeed they do, its hard work tho there is such a lot of dross on there most of the time.
 Waitrose worried? - sooty123
>> So's Dandelion and Burdock. Doesn't make it good though.
>>

Ooh you must be joking, love that stuff had it all the time as a kid, still love it now.
I remember being left sitting with a glass of that appalling stuff and a packet of salt and shake crisps to go with it while the adults went to the pub for a swift one. Me and the dog. I wouldn't have minded the crisps but the dog ate them. He didn't steal them but he didn't like Dandelion and Burdock either and it seemed appropriate to share what little we had. That was in Sheffield. We were just passing through, my family had people there. It long tainted my judgement of what was probably an otherwise inoffensive city.
 Waitrose worried? - sooty123
>> I remember being left sitting with a glass of that appalling stuff and a packet
>> of salt and shake crisps to go with it while the adults went to the
>> pub for a swift one.

Left where? I suppose it is an acquired taste. That reminds me, we are out better buy some more tomorrow.
I can't actually remember where it was, someone's house, not for long I suppose. There was an older teenager about too, presumably resident, fiddling with a ham radio. At least I think that's what they were called.
 Waitrose worried? - Zero

>> Sheffield. We were just passing through, my family had people there. It long tainted my
>> judgement of what was probably an otherwise inoffensive city.

Your judgement, in this case was impeccable and not at all tainted.
 Waitrose worried? - Ted

There were those things like a bit of a tree branch which you chewed until the end got soggy....aniseed or liquorice or some such horror.

You couldn't stop chewing it though. I liked aniseed balls and frozen Jubblies.

I prefer warm Jubblies now...but thats for a different thread !
 Waitrose worried? - Mapmaker
DP>>'Best Before' dates are really only quality guidelines. They can be safely ignored, within reason.
>>It's 'Use By' you need to watch out for.

Rot. 'Use by' are only quality guidelines too. Precious few things will be dangerous before being unpleasant. Things without sell-by dates are much more dangerous - things made at home. Last week's cold rice that wasn't refrigerated. Fresh mayonnaise that has sat out in a warm marquee all afternoon.

I ignore all dates on food with probably two exceptions. I like to know when my oysters were harvested from the sea. And I like to know which year my wine was made as it helps regulate drinking.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Feb 16 at 12:51
 Waitrose worried? - henry k
>>Rot. 'Use by' are only quality guidelines too.
>> Precious few things will be dangerous before being unpleasant.
>>
From what I understand, the 'Use by ' date has been arrived at by careful testing. Lab tests were used to determine when nasties start to form.

>>I ignore all dates on food with probably two exceptions......

Your choice.

Waitrose worried? - Focusless
>> Rot. 'Use by' are only quality guidelines too.

FWIW NHS guidelines
www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/food-labelling-terms.aspx#bb

Use by: ... Don't use any food or drink after the end of the "use by" date on the label, even if it looks and smells fine. ...

Best before: ... "Best before" dates are about quality, not safety. ...
 Waitrose worried? - Dog
>>I ignore all dates on food with probably two exceptions.

My ole mum would eat food stuff which was WELL past it's use by date. Got her in the end though = dead by 88.
 Waitrose worried? - Fursty Ferret
Stelios was incredibly lucky with EasyJet. So far none of his other ventures have had any success and I see no reason why this will be different.
I understand EasyHotels is going quite well. 21 hotels in 8 countries. EasyGym is doing OK too.

Waitrose worried? - Zero
>> I understand EasyHotels is going quite well. 21 hotels in 8 countries. EasyGym is doing
>> OK too.

You forgot easybus
Easy to do.
Easywoman has potential. Possible franchise operation.
 Waitrose worried? - Haywain
"Easywoman has potential."

Ah, so you know Rouen Road?
 Waitrose worried? - tyrednemotional
...according to their brand list, they may already be making easyMoney from easyBags

:-(
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Wed 3 Feb 16 at 20:11
 Waitrose worried? - DP
>> DP>>'Best Before' dates are really only quality guidelines. They can be safely ignored, within reason.
>> >>It's 'Use By' you need to watch out for.
>>
>> Rot. 'Use by' are only quality guidelines too.

Sorry, that's wrong (see NHS guidelines below)

Whether you get away with it or not is of course quite another matter, but I don't personally think it's worth the risk.
 Waitrose worried? - The Melting Snowman
>>Remember the Happy Shopper brand?

Yes I do. The local shop to us (now closed) used to stock Happy Shopper products. I bought some Jaffa cakes once, tasted one and threw the rest in the bin. They were unpleasant compared to the McVities brand.
 Waitrose worried? - VxFan
>> The local shop to us (now closed) used to stock Happy Shopper products.

Our village shop still does ;(
Latest Forum Posts