Non-motoring > Anyone from Wolverhampton? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 30

Anyone from Wolverhampton? - Duncan
Do you live in Wolverhampton? Well, apparently that's the worst place to live.

The best place? Where AC lives - of course! (Then why does he pretend to be grumpy so much of the time?)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35470725

It must be true, it's from the beeb.
Last edited by: Duncan on Tue 2 Feb 16 at 19:07
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - Runfer D'Hills
I've been to Wolverhampton. They may have a point.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - Armel Coussine
There was a boy from Wolverhampton in my class at Plymouth College. A fat blond kid with a funny not-really-cockney-but-a-bit-like-it accent. Nothing offensive about him that I can remember.
He was an imposter
>> He was an imposter

Aren't we all, Sweetie... but what makes you think that?
The accent, and the fact that he appeared pleasant. Russian spy most likely.
>> The accent, and the fact that he appeared pleasant. Russian spy most likely.

Doesn't a Midlands accent sound a bit like that to you Humph? The cat was pretty inoffensive, not pleasant exactly but not unpleasant either.

The Cold War was on, but I'd be surprised if the Soviets were employing 15-year-olds as spies. Of course anything is possible down here among the Sassenachs.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 2 Feb 16 at 19:43
Blond hair, dodgy accent, obsequious demeanour...

Got to be.

Lucky you weren't turned Lud.

;-)
>> Blond hair

No one can help having blond hair. It's a lack of pigmentation.

>> dodgy accent

It wasn't dodgy. It was Midlands.

>> obsequious demeanour

'Inoffensive' doesn't mean obsequious Humph.

Tsk, honestly...

:o}

Fooled you then didn't he?

;-)
>> Fooled you then didn't he?

No.

And what makes you think I wasn't turned?

Heh heh...
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - sooty123
I'm surprised Great Yarmouth came so high, they must be easily pleased. Last time I was there the place was a dump, it was like Blackpool but more rundown.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - R.P.
One word, one syllable...Rhyl.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - Robin O'Reliant
Eastbourne has got to be near the top, unless you're in a bath chair and ga ga. It's the only seaside place I've been to where we had trouble finding a café.
Morecambe is "special" too.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - Ted

Holyhead.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - R.P.
The only saving grace for Holyhead is that Handel probably put the finishing touches to the Messiah there..
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - smokie
Interesting that Wolverhampton it is the place with the fewest happy people but also it's top of the "least anxious" list.

Guess they just don't care...
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - smokie
The Beeb also has this on age-related happiness. www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35471624

Slow week for news maybe... but reassuring that some of our members are the happiest people around, though you wouldn't know it sometimes :-)
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - Dutchie
Never visited Wolverhampton.My uncle used to live in the Black Country ex Navy man.He was employed by I.C.I. for a long time.

I was there a few years ago invited to a wedding.Good people I like their accent I was very well looked after.Happyness is in your self and what you are content with.Make the best of life no matter where you live.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - No FM2R
Wolverhampton was where I lost my corruption virginity. Kind of ironic, given some of the places that I've worked, that Wolverhampton would be my first encounter with the seedier side of contracts.

I was genuinely quite shocked at the time. I wouldn't be now, but much water has flowed under that bridge since.

God bless the construction industry and all who sail in her.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - helicopter
I worked as a sub contract buyer in one of the largest Civil Engineering companies early in my career and corruption was pretty endemic.....but four hour lunches and crates of booze at Christmas was looked on as normal accepted practice in the 60's....

The real fiddles were the collusions to fix the costs of big contracts, the term 'middle for diddle' will probably ring a bell with those involved in the industry....

These are as nothing to the fiddles involved in countries such as Nigeria, Pakistan and the Middle East where ' commissions' (bribes) were and still are commonplace leaving the honest businesses at a distinct disadvantage in negotiations......believe me, I know only too well.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - helicopter
And I live in Mid Sussex and am very happy with my life....
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - Aretas
Nothing wrong with the Midlands. Well, the East Midlands.
The most irritating, big-headed person I ever met came from Lossiemouth. However, it was 50 years ago and it may have changed.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>> I was there a few years ago invited to a wedding.Good people I like their
>> accent I was very well looked after.

>>
"Brummie" is not an accent, it is a disease of the mouth.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - Alanovich
Linguistic historians are given to believe that the Brummie accent is the closest to the original form of English as it emerged from Anglo-Saxon. Some say it is how Shakespeare spoke.

It's a bit like New England accents being a more original form of spoken English than the Europeanised, contorted vowels of RP. We all just think the mode we grew up with is the best. Bit like religious nonsense.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - No FM2R
Its very difficult to regard a young lady as sophisticated and cultured when she speaks with that accent.

I've tried.
I heard/read a theory once which proposed that the Birmingham accent had at least been influenced by the industrial revolution. The suggestion being that the high levels of air pollution in the area caused breathing difficulties, blocked nasal passages etc and contributed to the speech patterns.

Could be rubbish of course but if you pinch your nose and speak...
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - neiltoo
It has been described as an entire region with a speech impediment.

8o)
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - MD
>> Its very difficult to regard a young lady as sophisticated and cultured when she speaks
>> with that accent.
>>
>> I've tried.
>>
I've succeeded. Just pop something in there.
 Anyone from Wolverhampton? - Ambo
I made fairy frequent visits to an excellent tool and hardware shop in the centre in the 1980s and can't say I noticed anything bad about it then. It was during trips up and down the adjacent Wolverhampton Flight of 21 locks in the family narrowboat, based on the Wolverhampton Boat Club, not far from the bottom lock.
Latest Forum Posts